Chapter 6

Fatal Error

“Wh-what? No…Taekwoon stop…It…it wasn’t...” Hongbin stuttered. Taekwoon looked up at the ceiling, clearly trying to cover his expression. “I was driving to the NPA building…Wonshik told me about your presentation and we were all planning a surprise party for you afterwards. I was running a little late and while I was driving, someone had called me and when I reached down to get my phone…I didn’t realize that I…” He had to regain his composure. “Hongbin I had to get out of there as fast as I could, I couldn’t risk the police catching me…and…” he released a heavy sigh. “I couldn’t let you see me anyways. I knew you weren’t in any state to handle this. I had no intention of leaving her there, I really didn’t, but I cannot be anywhere near the police…but I couldn’t not tell you, you needed to know Hongbin…and I’m…I’m so sorry” he said. He knelt on the floor and this was the first time Hongbin had ever seen him like this. After years of them being friends, Taekwoon had never shown this side of him before, but something drastic would have to drag this side out of him. This was it. 

It didn’t sink in completely at first, then slowly it processed and the more he thought about it, the angrier he became. Hongbin balled his fists and inhaled deeply.  He looked back into the room, watching Youngji’s slow breaths and the heart rate monitor. Hongbin looked to Taekwoon, anger filling his eyes.

“Come with me” he said and walked away. Taekwoon reluctantly followed him through the waiting room, through the automatic doors, and into the parking lot. Hongbin led him to the side of the building and stopped when there was no one around. Except Taekwoon.

“Hongbin-ah…” Taekwoon said

Hongbin held out his hand, to stop him. “You mean to tell me…because of you…the love of my life is on her deathbed. My job was thrown out the window. And my entire life is crumbling in front of me all because of you?!”  

Taekwoon looked to the floor again.

LOOK AT ME!” Hongbin cried. This startled Taekwoon. “Look I never wanted to hurt anyone! It was an accident. Hongbin I swear, I never meant to hurt you, or anyone. It.was.an.accident” he declared. Hongbin chuckled. “An accident? An Accident?!” he screamed, “I spent three days away from her…and right when I had the chance to hear her voice again…You!

“Hongbin listen to me. We were at equal fault ok? Youngji didn’t pay attention to anything around her either. She was talking on the phone and wasn’t paying attention. We both are to blame.” He explained.

“How dare you…blaming Youngji? Who’s in a coma because of what you did! Not her. She didn’t do anything and you dare try to blame anyone else but yourself. There is no equal blame. You left her there... It’s.all.your.fault!” he cried out and lunged at Taekwoon. Taekwoon didn’t fight back as Hongbin released his anger on him. He started punching , screaming and kicking him. Hard. Then Jaehwan, Sanghyuk, and Wonshik finally came outside and quickly pulled Hongbin away from Taekwoon. Wonshik and Jaehwan held his arms and Sanghyuk stood in between them. “Are you insane?!  Hongbin what are you doing?! Have you lost your mind?!” Sanghyuk declared. “When we saw you two leave, we got worried. And thank God we came outside...” Hongbin continued to struggle against them, still lunging, trying to get his hands on Taekwoon. “What’s going on!?” Jaehwan asked, gripping Hongbin’s arm. “I’ll tell you what’s going on. It.was.him! He killed Youngji! He hit her with his car! It was ALL his fault!” He cried. They were all taken aback. Taekwoon still stood his ground, his nose dripping blood, his face bruised, his shirt all crinkled. Sanghyuk looked to Taekwoon. “Is that true?” he asked. Taekwoon couldn’t handle it anymore, he wiped his nose on his sleeve and walked away. This infuriated Hongbin. “Get back here! Fight back! You coward! You will pay! You will pay for Youngji’s life!!!”

Jaehwan released Hongbin and gripped his shoulders, making him make eye contact with him. “Hongbin…Hongbin look at me! Hey…hey…calm down” he said in a soothing voice. Hongbin stared back at Jaehwan and his breathing started to calm down. “Hongbin…think about Youngji…huh? Think about her right now. What would she want? She would want you in there with her right?” he said. Hongbin shrugged away. He looked to Jaehwan, then to Sanghyuk and Wonshik. They were all worried for him. He walked away.

Hongbin made his way back to Youngji’s hospital room, with his hands in his pockets and staring at the floor the whole time, just in case he saw Taekwoon, he couldn’t risk it. When he finally made it back to the room, Youngji was still there, everything remained unchanged. He walked back over to her, sunk to his knees at the edge of her bed, and lost it.