Chapter 13

Fatal Error

“Youngji what are you talking about?” Hongbin asked, giving a worried look to Taekwoon. He reached for her hand, but she shrugged it away. “It was you!”  She screamed, her eyes filling with anger. Hongbin stepped up and stood in between Taekwoon and Youngji. He looked to Taekwoon. “How…how does she remember that?” he asked worriedly. Taekwoon looked as puzzled as Hongbin. It was quite fascinating…she remembered the last moments before she died…he wondered what else she could remember. Her brain must have not completely shut down immediately after she died. In fact, while she was in a coma, maybe her thoughts and memories remained frozen…Truly fascinating…

Youngji was still enraged. “You! You’re the one that tore us apart!” she shrieked, trying to get to Taekwoon, but Hongbin blocked her. Taekwoon answered nonchalantly. “I’m also the one who brought you together…”

Youngji was about to speak again, but she remained quiet. Taekwoon began again, “Yes, It was me in the car that fateful day…but let’s not forget who brought you back…the accident was nothing but that, an accident. I wasn’t paying attention and I am truly sorry. It’s just…”

Hongbin perked his head in curiosity. “Just what?”

Youngji walked around Hongbin and looked up to Taekwoon, staring into his eyes. She held up her hand and placed it on his chest, directly where his heart should be. Hongbin watched, as she did this with Taekwoon remaining unresponsive. Hongbin started to feel a little defensive and stepped closer to Youngji, trying to figure out what she was doing. Taekwoon finally met Youngjis eyes and held a sad expression, one Hongbin has never seen on him.

Youngji slowly removed her hand and tilted her head at Taekwoon. “The accident…Did Soohyun have anything to do with it?” she asked calmly. Hongbin looked at Taekwoon. “You-you said that you were meeting up with the guys…” he said in disbelief. “You said that you had checked your phone and-“

I know what I said!” Taekwoon snapped.

He sighed and walked over to the picture and took it off the wall, caressing it in his hands. Then he gripped it hard and was trying to fight his anger. He seemed to talk to the picture. “I had to lie to you because I knew no one would understand, especially you…but Soohyun…she texted me that morning, asking to meet at a café across the street from the NPA building. Without thinking, I jumped in my car and drove over there. I was just so overwhelmed in the thought of her that I…”, he balled his fist and gripped the picture even more, “…that I was willing to crawl on my hands and knees to see her again…and after all these years resenting her and vowing never to think about her…I drove as fast as I could. When I got to the café, I briefly looked over to see if I could see her…and I did…In the arms of someone else.” He began to lose control of himself, his whole face twitching in anger as he gripped the picture and threw it across the room. It shattered in pieces, glass shards collapsing on the floor. The sound of shattering glass filled the room as Taekwoon stared at where the picture smashed and stood still, breathing hard. Youngji jumped back, startled, her eyes widening at the sight of Taekwoons actions. Taekwoon never tore his eyes away and began to speak again. “I saw her smile, laugh, embrace another man…and as I watched her…I didn’t pay attention to anything else…and Youngji…”

She looked at him.

“I’m sorry, the fact that I ruined someones life in a single second…”

Youngji took a step forward and placed her hand on his shoulder. At her touch, Taekwoon began to relax again. Hongbin cleared his throat, looking away. Youngji faced him and smiled, reassuring him everything was ok. “Taekwoon, I just don’t understand…why would she text you that all of a sudden? I mean you even said it had been years since you last saw her”

“I don’t know either…I thought maybe it was an accident, or maybe she did it on purpose. Just to show me how far she’s moved on…to torture me even further…” Taekwoon sighed again.

Hongbin reached out and held Youngjis hand, she turned to face him and gave him a slight smile. He pulled her away from Taekwoon and took her in his arms, kissing her forehead. She wrapped her arms around his waist and nuzzled her face in his chest. When she drew back, she looked back to Taekwoon with a worried expression as Hongbin continued to hold her. He started walking to the door, stepping over the broken glass as he did so without even a flinch. When he was gone, Hongbin looked down to Youngji. “Hey…look at me” he said, tilting her chin up to face him. “It’s ok…we’re together now, everything’s fine”

“No it’s not…I’m worried for him Hongbin, I’m surprised that you’re not…”

“Youngji, he’s going to be ok. He told me that he can’t feel pain anymore, Soohyun shouldn’t be able affect him”

“But she is, don’t you see…he’s losing it. Every thought of her slowly strips away his ability to rid himself of these emotions…soon he’s going to regain it all back”

“How do you know?”

“We just watched it happen”

Youngji broke away from him and walked over to the broken picture frame. She carefully avoided all of the broken glass and knelt down beside it. She picked up the picture and swept away the shards that were on it. She stood up, holding the thin picture in her hands. She looked at it, now looking at it while thinking about what Taekwoon had just told them. “We need to help him”

“What? How? Youngji…I just want to go home, and be together like we were”

“Hongbin don’t you see? He needs us! I can’t believe you’re acting this selfish…”

“Selfish?! Youngji everything I’ve done was for you. Restoring you and me. This has nothing to do with us…we shouldn’t get involved…and besides you wanted to rip his throat out five minutes ago!”

“That was before I knew who he was. Hongbin he brought us back together, he saved me in order to come back to you.”

“If it wasn’t for him everything would have been fine, none of this would have ever happened”

“Everything happens for a reason Hongbin…”

Hongbin ran his fingers through his hair, completely frustrated. How could she all of a sudden think like this?

NOBODY MOVE!” a voice shrieked

Hongbin and Youngji looked to the door, wondering who the voice belonged too. Hongbin rushed to Youngji and dragged her away from the door as three men in black suits and sunglasses suddenly charged through, guns clutched in their hands. Hongbin pulled Youngji behind him, shielding her. The three men stood, blocking the door and trapping them inside. They stood next to each other, frozen in fear of what they saw. The man in the middle took off his sunglasses, revealing his face. Hongbin looked at him, completely in shock.

It was Sanghyuk.

Hongbin then recognized the two people beside him.

Jaehwan and Wonshik.