Chapter 14

Fatal Error

Sanghyuk took a step forward, lowering his gun. Hongbin locked his eyes on him and stepped backwards, gripping Youngjis hand as she hid behind him.

“Hongbin…what…what are you doing here?” he asked, in complete shock. “I might ask the same question”, Hongbin sneered.

Jaehwan stepped forward and took his glasses off. “We were sent as the top officers of the NPA to investigate a secret case. We have been following Jung Taekwoons actions ever since he left the force and he has been found guilty of illegal robotic experimentations so we came to bring him in, but…I don’t understand why you’re here either…you were fired”

Hongbin clenched his teeth.

“What are you even doing on a top secret investigation anyways?” he snapped at Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk sighed and looked to Hongbin, not noticing who was behind him. “Hongbin, I’m sorry…but after you left, Chief Hakyeon promoted me as senior officer in your place”

Hongbin chuckled, “Not possible”

“I’m sorry, and…I’m also sorry to tell you that since you’re here, we have no choice but to arrest you and take you in for questioning…”

Youngji immediately came out from behind Hongbin and grabbed his hand. “For what?!” she demanded. Right as she stepped out, Hongbin tried to pull her away but it was too late. Sanghyuk, Jaehwan and Wonshik gasped and stumbled backwards. Sanghyuk’s eyes widened as if he were looking directly at a ghost. “Y-Young-j-ji…but you’re sup-posed…to be…”

“Dead” Jaehwan interrupted.

Hongbin cursed under his breath. Youngji however continued to question Sanghyuk. “You will not arrest him! He has done nothing wrong!”

Suddenly someone else had walked in the room, Hongbin looked over and saw Taekwoon, handcuffed and led by…

Chief Hakyeon.

“I care to disagree” he said, pushing Taekwoon along as he made his way over to them. Taekwoon never took his eyes off the floor.

You, Miss Heo Youngji, are the only proof we need to lock this man behind bars…for good because you see, we have never had enough evidence to convict him, but now we have everything we need”

Youngji watched in horror as Taekwoon remained defenseless and defeated in the clutches of Chief Officer Hakyeon and made an advance towards him but was immediately stopped by Hongbin. Hakyeon now directed his look to him now. “And you…I would have never thought you would have sunk to such levels Lee Hongbin. You have given up your life, your future…for a girl? And to make matters worse, you work with a convicted felon to go to such levels, well!”

Hongbin glared at him. “You have no proof…who is going to believe that she is anything more than human? Everything will only turn on you…you’ll be an embarrassment to the NPA”

Hakyeon merely laughed. “No proof…well we’ll see about that then…Sanghyuk!”

Sanghyuk perked up and faced Hakyeon. “Yes, sir”

Hakyeon nodded to him, giving him a glaring look that Sanghyuk understood. Sanghyuk began to approach Hongbin and took out a small device from his pocket, Jaehwan and Wonshik following him. Youngji stepped behind Hongbin as they approached them and Hongbin made sure he stood between her and them. Sanghyuk nodded to Jaehwan and he and Wonshik forcefully grabbed Hongbin as Sanghyuk pulled Youngji away. Jaehwan and Wonshik gripped his arms as Hongbin thrashed around to try and get to Youngji. Sanghyuk gripped the small square device and used one hand to forcefully lower Youngji’s head. He then quickly took out a small, needle like object from the device and plunged it into the back of her neck. Youngji lost control of her body and her head jerked upwards, her arms held out, and her eyes widened while they started blinking white and black as her pupils enlarged. Sanghyuk looked to the screen on the device and it started flashing red and blinking one word.

Illegal”

His eyed widened and he gave a petrified look to Hakyeon, who stood still while making sure he had a firm grip on Taekwoon. Hakyeon gave a chilling smile and looked to Taekwoon. “Ahhh, so she was your newest creation wasn’t she…well, you will watch as it will be destroyed!”

Hongbin thrashed all his weight towards Jaehwan, causing him to lose his grip on Hongbin then vigorously shoved him aside along with Wonshik. He used both of his hands to throw Sanghyuk away from Youngji and as Sanghyuk fell to the ground; Hongbin grabbed the device and smashed it on the floor. He then took Youngji’s hand and they fled towards the door, only to be met by Chief Hakyeon, holding his gun in both of his hands, the barrel pointed directly at Hongbins forehead. Hongbin dragged Youngji behind him, shielding her from Hakyeon as best he could. Hakyeon merely laughed. “Your bravery, Lee Hongbin, has been wasted in a bold act of stupidity”, he mocked. Hongbin stared at him then suddenly realized… where was Taekwoon?

Then something had caused Hakyeon to fall to the ground, his gun sliding out of his hands and across the floor. It was Taekwoon, who had kicked Hakyeon vigorously in one fluid motion as Hakyeon collapsed in front of him. He had somehow gotten the handcuffs off and was staring at Hongbin. “Come on!” he said urgently and he ran out the door, Hongbin and Youngji following close behind.