no. 5

Dream Drabbles

I know I can do better than this. I mean, i’m a decent cook, I have an amazing sense of style, I’ve aced every history class I’ve ever taken, and my dogs are healthy..  so why am I stuck dancing at this gay bar 5 nights a week?

This was something that Kibum asked himself fairly often, and yet every day of the week except for Sundays and Wednesdays, he was back at ‘Bells’ under the stage name “Key”, grinding for tips.

“Hey Jinki, how were your tips tonight?”

“Ugh, less than usual. Jjong’s gonna kill me.”

“I’m gonna do what?”Jonghyun said as he walked into the dressing room.

“Oh, uh..” Jinki stuttered.

“Jinks, it’s okay if you don’t make as much. I still get the same amount.” He smirked. “Plus, our trust fund baby gets back from London tomorrow. You’ll be ok.”

“That’s right!” Jinki gasped “Minho gets back tomorrow!”

“Minho? That guy who’s always drooling over you?” Said Kibum

“Kibum, he’s my best customer… and he’s nice to me.” Jinki smiled.

Kibum gagged.

“Oh come on, Key.” Said Jonghyun. “You’ve only been here for a couple of months. Stop being such an ice queen and you’ll have a sugar daddy of your own soon enough.”

-

Okay, Key. Now turn, dip, and body roll. That’s it. They love the body roll. Yea!

Kibum had the table by the back bar tonight. He really loved to dance and he would do it seriously one day if he ever got the chance. That’s why he liked it back here because it was less crowded and he could really let loose without being stared at so hungrily by hoards of people. But today he could feel a new set of eyes on him. Kibum locked eyes with a man sitting near the DJ booth. He kept dancing of course. The man was fairly handsome, he was thin with soft features but definitely manly and his gaze was strong, holding Kibum’s own. This went on for a few minutes and then Key broke eye contact to hit a particularly skilled dance move. When he looked up, the man was gone. He sat and scooted of the table to go change his outfit.

-

Key thought about the man even on his day off.

-

The next time Kibum had to work, he was looking forward to it. He had the front table today. He was touched by a lot of creeps that day and he was hoping to see the handsome stranger again but he never came. As Key was working on his last 20 minute dance, a bar fight broke out. People running in every direction had him stranded on his table until someone got knocked into said table and sent Kibum tumbling down. All he remembered after that were cold hands.

-

Kibum woke up in the dressing room to Jinki patting his face with a damp towel.

“Jinks?”

“Bummie? Oh, Bummie you’re awake!” said Jinki

“ha, yea im okay. What happened?”

“You fell off your table and that nice man over there caught you and brought you back here to us.” He pointed to the couch on the opposite side of the room. Kibum recognized him as the mysterious stranger. He got up and slowly approached him.

“Is he ok?” asked Kibum.

“Yea, he was waiting for you to wake up but then he fell asleep too.” Jinki laughed.

Kibum smiled and attempted to wake the man. His eyes slowly parted and he smiled.

“Um, hi.. I’m Kibum. So uh, thanks for saving me.” The man his side and continued staring at Kibum. “Geez, stop it.” He fidgeted under the man’s gaze.

“I’m Taemin. You’re my favorite dancer.” He sat up to make room for Kibum on the couch and flashed a blinding smile. Jinki quietly left the room and Kibum sat next to Taemin.

“Thanks for that too. I love to dance.”

“I can tell. I love to dance too.”

Kibum smiled again and then glanced at the clock on the wall. “Oh , it’s late! I gotta get back to the dogs.” He began to gather his things and Taemin sat there awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.

Kibum slipped a piece of paper into Taemin’s hand and kissed him on the cheek. Just before he left, he looked back at Taemin. “By the way, your hands are really cold.”

Taemin smiled and opened the crumpled piece of paper to find Kibum’s phone number written in it.