part 6 [running out of time]

Artificial Happiness

Kyungsoo stares at the mask cradled in his boney,  pale fingers. He blinks, wondering if he should just destroy it. He had no need for it.

 
"I'm going to die soon anyway." Kyungsoo snorts, caressing the magical mask.
 
He wonders about Kris, idly realizing that he most likely forgot about him already, enjoying his new, and certainly not lonely life with his Suho. Kyungsoo refuses to admit the bitterness in his weak heart. He lost Kai. He lost Kris too.
 
He hears the jingle of the front door and quickly turns around to put on the mask. He turns back and greets the customer with a smile,
 
"Welcome to Artifical Happiness."
 
Kris sits at his work desk, piles upon piles of paperwork in front of him. Usually, this is something he'd complete within an hour, but the heavy burden on his shoulders kept him from doing so.
 
He ignores Suho's cold eyes, staring at the papers in his hand through his reading glasses. 
 
"Thirty years old and I need reading glasses." Kris snorts to himself, wandering if Kyungsoo would have laughed at that.
 
He grips the papers in his hand in shock.
 
Kyungsoo. 
 
He shuts his eyes and rubs his temples. This is not good. He couldn't stop thinking about the doll maker and his smile. His beautiful smile. And he couldn't forget how he so easily ruined their budding friendship.
 
He had managed to coax Suho to tell him how Kyungsoo created him. He knew only little, stating thst he held Kyungsoo's happiness in his heart, giving him the ability to breathe, think, and feel. Kris could put two and two together and realize that Kyungsoo's happiness is not infinite.
 
Unless he had a lover.
 
Kris bites his lips, looking up guiltily through his eyelashes as Suho reads silently in a corner. He does not love Suho.
 
And he doesn't think he ever will.
 
His thoughts return back to Kyungsoo, wondering if he was okay and if he was eating. He sighs and leans back into his chair,  closing his eyes.
 
He tenses when he hears movement, and a pair of warm arms wrap around him.
 
"What bothers your heart, Master?" Suho's voice is soft as he speaks into his ear.
 
"Nothing." Kris's voice is gruff as he tries not to rip himself out of his hold.
 
"You are cold and distant, have I done something wrong?"
 
Kris grimaces, feeling mildly uncomfortable.  Suho did not speak like Kyungsoo, smile like Kyungsoo, or even act like him. He held a piece of Kyungsoo yet they were so different. 
 
"No, it's not your fault." Kris sighs heavily and pushes his arms away.
 
"You love another."
 
Kris freezes. Him? Love who? 
 
"My Creator." Suho speaks again, almost as if reading his thoughts.
 
"Me in love with Kyungsoo?  I barely know him, I mean--"
 
"I saw the way you look at him." Suho looks sad as he moves away, and stands at the window. "You look at him the way I want you to look at me."
 
Kris blinks in shock when Suho no longer stands before him, but a cold, unmoving DOLL that sits beneath the window.
 
'The dreams I dream only the lonely dream, of lips as warm as May'