part 5 [suho]

Artificial Happiness

'Each place I go only the lonely go'

Kyungsoo stands in front of the bathroom mirror, putting on a brave face for what is to come. Suho will be completed today, and he would never see Kris again. And that would be okay.

He sighs and rolls his shoulders, furrowing his eyebrows and patting his cheeks.

"I can do this." He sighs and rubs his temples.

When he goes downstairs and sees Suho on the counter and Kris outside, he freezes.

"Oh no, I can't do this."

He grips the stair railing with nervousness and fear. Kris most likely wanted to see Suho's birth, and by seeing that happen, he would notice that bringing Suho to life is literally killing him.

"I'll just do it before opening the shop." He comforts himself, slowly making it to behind the counter while watching Kris's back with caution.

He puts on the happiness mask slowly and takes a deep breath. Kyungsoo prays that he doesn't turn around as the doll maker stands in front of Suho, carefully digging his hand into his own chest to pull out the wisp. He winces as he reaches in wrist deep and uneasiness echoes in his mind. Finally finding it, he plucks it out to hasten the process and bites his lip to not scream out at the searing pain that shoots up his spine. He drops the wisp onto Suho and staggers back, gripping his chest as he breathes heavily. He looks up and inhales sharply when he makes eye contact with Kris through the glass of the front door.

He shuts his eyes tight as Suho grows in size, effectively blocking him from Kris's eyes.

"Your name is Suho," He glares at the DOLL as he sits on the counter in confusion. "your master is Kris, the one who stands behind you. You will love him and cherish him forever, do you understand?"

Suho nods in confirmation before slowly looking over his shoulder to stare at Kris. Kyungsoo isn't so sure Kris acknowledge his DOLL.

"Go unlock the door." Kyungsoo regulates his breathing, standing straight and locking his shoulders.

Suho softly jumps off the counter without a sound, and makes his way to the front door. Kyungsoo is glad that he made the decision to dress his DOLLs before giving them away because he'd rather not have Suho and himself arrested for public .

His eyes widen in shock when Kris pushes past Suho and stalks up to the counter.

"Did you just stick your hand through your chest?" Kris is looking at him with so much concern that the doll maker feels a lump in his throat as he gulps.

"That's how I bring them to life." Kyungsoo mumbles, unable to look at him in the eyes.

"By giving them a piece of yourself?" Kris looks at him in shock and fear.

"Not exactly," Kyungsoo lies through gritted teeth. "I give them essence found in only humans that give them the ability to become human themselves."

Kris raises an eyebrow in disbelief, mouth set in a straight line to keep himself from pushing it.

"Your DOLL is finished, you can leave now." Kyungsoo turns around and clasps his hands behind his back.

"Wait, Kyungsoo." Kris furrows his eyebrows, reaching out for him over the counter.

"I said leave, Kris." Kyungsoo sighs and turns to smile at him. "I'm fine, I swear."

Kris clenches his fist at his side before turning around and grabbing Suho by the arm. Kyungsoo feels vaguely amused when it is Kris who can't keep his eyes off of him instead of his own DOLL. That's a first. He takes off the mask and sets it down in front of him, staring at the permanent smile on its cold, fake lips.

"For something that's supposed to give me temporary happiness," Kyungsoo frowns. "you're not really helping."

'The heartbreak only the lonely know.'