part 4 [who i am]

Artificial Happiness

'Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door'

Kyungsoo snorts, wondering if he is slowly becoming Eleanor Rigby as he sits on his bed listening to the radio of his alarm clock. The song is centuries old, yet Kyungsoo could not stop listening to it. He feels sympathy for Eleanor, knowing what it was like to put on a happy face for those who bothered to look. A smile never truly meant that he is happy. He is just as lonely as the people who walk into his shop.

He stretches his sore limbs and glances at the calendar, noting that he had several DOLLs to complete, including Suho. Business had become slow, his average of fifty customers a day became twenty customers a week. But it did not hinder him. It meant that he could finally rest, and not have to worry about how much happiness is left in his heart to use. He had enough money to close down the shop and go into retirement. Being 28 and living in a beach house for the rest of his life sounds nice. He didn't have very long to live anyway, not with the way he had been constantly coughing. He knew he should have not abused his emotions the way he has the past five years. He thought about taking his happiness out of Kai, who has been sitting on a shelf in the shop for years, gathering dust. But he knew he did not have the heart to. He still prayed every day that Kai would awaken, and tell him that he loves him.

Deep down, he knows it is futile.

Out of all the DOLLs that did not love their master, it had to be his own that was the first and only. He sighs and heads to the bathroom, knowing that he'll have to go to work eventually, knowing that he would create Kris's happiness and never see him again. Kyungsoo frowns as he stands in front of the mirror, clenching his fist as he takes in his eye bags and bloodshot eyes. The doll maker only knew Kris for a short time, yet he thought about the man constantly. It was nowhere near the feelings he had for Kai, but there was something there. Something he could not place. He clenches his fist and makes wane moon marks on his palms, exhaling deeply as he pictures Kris standing behind him, wrapping his arms around his waist.

He could practically feel the warmth of the taller male's chest on his back, a warmth he has not felt since his mother passed away. He inhales sharply when his imagination of Kris looks into the mirror, their eyes meeting. He gasps out and lashes behind him when Kris's face starts to crack and bleed. He bites his lips to stop the blood curling scream as blood pools out of Kris's mouth. He shuts his eyes tight and hunches over the sink, praying that the image disappears. When he opens his eyes to find Kris gone, he lets out a breath of relief and washes his face with cold water.

"You can do this, Do Kyungsoo," He grabs his toothbrush and toothpaste. "you can hold on for a little longer."

When he dresses appropriately and eats breakfast, he makes his way downstairs to open the shop. He grits his teeth when he sees a familiar, tall figure waiting outside the shop's doors. He squints and notices that Kris is holding two coffees. He grimaces at the thought of drinking something so bitter. The doll maker quickly makes his way to the jar holding his mask, glowering at it as he picks it up. He takes one quick look at the door before turning around and slowly placing the mask on.

He doesn't feel anything this time, the mask fitting comfortably as if it were his real face. He frowns with unease, wondering why but clearly knowing the answer. There is little to no happiness left in his body to repel the mask. He puts on a wide smile (and tries not to wince) as he walks to the door and opens it, flipping the 'closed' sign.

"Good morning." He breathes out, squinting at the cold wind that hits his face.

"Morning!" Kris's face is unusually bright and happy, looking like a puppy when he turns around to face him.

And by unusually bright and happy, Kyungsoo meant that he is just way too happy for no reason.

"I'm almost done with Suho, if that's the reason you came by today." Kyungsoo hums, going to behind the counter, purposely acting as if he didn't notice the coffee cups.

"Actually, I came by to just chat with you, mostly." Kris has a blush dusting his cheeks as he hides half his face in his wool scarf.

"You don't work today?" Kyungsoo ignores the funny feeling in his chest.

"Nope, I'm off." Kris sits on a stool and places their coffees in front of them.

"Is that second coffee cup for me?" Kyungsoo eyes it regrettably.

"It's hot chocolate, I didn't think you were a coffee person." The blond clears his throat and soft pushes the cup towards him.

"I like hot chocolate?" The doll maker blurts out in what sounds like more of a question than a statement, furrowing his eyebrows.

Kris seemed to know him better than he knew himself. He used to drink hot chocolate all the time when he was a teenager, having almost forgotten what it tasted like ten years later. He preferred sweet over bitter any day.

"That's good, drink it before it gets cold." Kris's face brightens up, looking proud of himself.

Kyungsoo shoots him a weird look before grabbing the cup and sipping cautiously. The sweet liquid hits his tongue and hits him with nostalgia. He can't help but hum when he gulps half of it down, enjoying the taste to the core.

"Slow down, you might choke." Kris chuckles and sips at his hot chocolate.

"It's really good." Kyungsoo blushes, feeling the fake smile stretch his lips.

The doll maker feels disgusted with himself when he notices how happy Kris gets whenever he smiles.

"I really like your smile." Kris grins, confirming Kyungsoo's thoughts. "You don't look like you smile often, though."

"I have very little reason to smile." Kyungsoo sighs, no longer having the energy to drink the hot chocolate.

"Can I be one of those reasons?"

Kyungsoo almost slams his head against the closet of where he pulls out Suho.

"I'm sorry, pardon?" He turns to look at Kris with wide eyes, almost using the DOLL as a protective shield.

"Forget it." Kris winces, looking ready to beat himself up.

"Suho should be done by tonight, you can pick him up tomorrow." Kyungsoo coughs slightly and sets the unfinished DOLL on the counter.

"I have other DOLLs to work on too, which is why he won't be done today."

"I understand." Kris nods slowly, watching as Kyungsoo begins to work.

The doll maker tries to look at ease, not wanting to get away how uncomfortable he is with Kris watching. He winces when he almost drops Suho's face, sweaty hands having a hard time gripping the ceramic.

"How do you make them come to life?" Kris's question does in fact make him drop the face this time.

He winces as one of the cheeks collides with the glass counter, hitting it with a hard thud. He prays that it doesn't scratch as he carefully picks Suho's face up by the other cheek.

"No one has ever asked me that question." Kyungsoo says through gritted teeth, visibly relaxing when he sees that nothing is scratched.

"You must have some power right? That's starting to be common nowadays." Kris hums, watching him with careful eyes, not in the least concerned for Suho.

"I use special magic." Kyungsoo lies through his teeth, rolling his shoulders in concentration.

Kris did not need to know that his source of happiness is probably going to be one of the main causes he'll die in a couple of years.

"Like voodoo?" Kris's eyes are wide with curious innocence.

Kyungsoo almost drops Suho again, barking out a laugh. He gasps and slams his palm over his mouth, surprised at the sound he made.

"You laughed!" The taller male looks gleeful as he stands up and points at his face.

"You should go." Kyungsoo whispers through his closed fingers, wincing as he feels the mask start to slip off his face.

Kris looks confused for a moment and then looks guilty, "Sorry, I'm distracting you."

His shoulders are hunched as he makes his way to the door.

"You will tell me how you make the DOLLs!" He calls over his shoulder, attempting a weak, playful smile before leaving the shop.

His knuckles are white as he grips the edges of the counter as his mask slips off and falls directly next to Suho's detached face. His breathing is uneven as his chest gets heavy. He stares at Kris's retreating figure until he is no longer able to see it. He stares at his distorted reflection in the jar, a surprised look on his features.

For the first time in five years, the happiness in his chest increased in size.

'Tick tock goes the clock, the hand goes back an hour.'