part 12 [truth]

Artificial Happiness

Kyungsoo's heart races in excitement. He had not went to bed in days, but this is worth it. He rubbed at the cheek of the DOLL in front of him, humming at its healthy, bronze complexion. His eyes grow soft, fingertips shaking with anticipation. This is it. This is finally it.

His chapped lips part to reveal his teeth as he grins and he runs a hand through his oily hair. He should probably shower. His eyes flicker from the DOLL and to the rising sun from his shop windows. Yeah, a shower is probably a good idea. He makes his way upstairs to his apartment, peeling off clothes the minute he makes it into his bedroom. He randomly fishes out a shirt and a pair of pants from a near drawer and navigates his way into the bathroom. He wrenches off his shirt and studies himself in the mirror.

He is no longer sickly pale, and he knows that the eye bags under his eyes are from lack of sleep and not misery. His lips are chapped but that is not the main concern. He his lips as he touches his face and pats his cheeks. He needed to gain a little bit of weight, but he felt better. He steps into the shower and sighs deeply.

"I feel better." Kyungsoo's eyes widen and he smiles softly.

All of this, because of Kris. Yet he is not the only, and main reason. Kris played a big part of it, but it is Kyungsoo who decided to pull himself out of his depression, he could have easily ignored his feelings for Kris and planned his final vacation to die in seclusion. Even though Kris had walked out when he needed him the most, Kyungsoo understood why and did not blame him. He was angry and had told him to leave, and he sincerely regrets ever doing that. J ust thinking about Kris made his heart race and warmth spread throughout his body. He would deal with that later, he had important things to do downstairs.

Kyungsoo could not keep the smile off his face as the stream of water hit his body.

Thirty minutes away, Kris felt miserable and looks miserable. He stood in front of his mirror, taking note of the sickly pale skin that stood out the most. The skin under his eyes almost seemed yellow, as if he is dying from some lethal disease.

"Heartbreak, the worst disease of all." He snorts and pats his stringy, unhealthy hair.

He had not been taking care of himself for the past couple of days, heading into work like a zombie. He put on a brave face around others, but the minute he got home, he broke down completely. He felt empty as the feeling of losing someone important places a heavy weight on his shoulder.

He had been waking up in the middle of the night with the impulse to go to Kyungsoo. But the man did not want to see him. Not now, not ever. Kris isn't so sure he ever wanted to see him at all. His feelings are clearly unrequited.

After washing his face, he turns off the bathroom light and heads to his living room, deciding to listen to the radio. He sighs and grabs at the near empty bottle of whiskey laying on the couch.

"Cheers." His voice hoarse and husky fills the empty apartment that has witnessed to much.

He could still see Suho's dormant figure under the window sill and Kai's broken parts near the wall and it haunts him. Guilt attaches itself to his body like a tattoo, refusing to be removed. He would have this feeling for the rest of his life.

'It'll all be over soon. I'll be waiting here for you'

Kyungsoo walks back down to the shop with a light heart and tingling fingertips. He towel dries his wet hair, too anxious to do so upstairs. He carelessly throws the towel aside and makes his way to the DOLL. He squares his shoulders and prepares for what is to come. He slowly puts his hand through his chest, showing no signs of discomfort as his chest feels almost like a body of water. He takes in a deep breath as he pulls out a small, pink wisp and before he realizes his mistake, the wisp escapes from his fingers and shoot straight in to the DOLL.

"Oh no, no, no." Kyungsoo panics as the DOLL glows a pink hue.

He gasps as the DOLL begins to shake and grow in size without the doll maker's command. He bites his bottom lip and tenses as he takes in the familiar body and face.

"Creator." The voices says softly, looking at him with curious eyes.

Kyungsoo's eyebrows furrow. This is not Kai. No, he is purer and he felt different. Gone is the wild, black hair but in its place, soft brown. His eyes no longer were a bitter, pitch black, but a warm, dark brown. He looks radiant and healthy, a complete 180. He looks happy to see Kyungsoo.

"Jongin." He feels his lips twitch upwards at the new name.

The DOLL looks content with the name and he nods happily. He then frowns as he begins to look around.

"Where is Father?" His voice turns small, showing sorrow.

"Father?" Kyungsoo's eyebrows shoot up to his hairline.

"Or is he called Mother?" Jongin pouts in confusion.

"I don't think I understand, Jongin."

"Where is he?" Jongin looks close to having a tantrum.

"Where is who? You have to be specific." Kyungsoo looks close to panicking.

Jongin bites his bottom lip, deep in thought as he tries to remember. The doll maker feels an electric current shoot straight through his heart when he speaks again.

"Kris. Where is Kris?"

Kyungsoo's fear is correct. Jongin did not receive his happiness, which ranged from memories to enjoyment of hobbies, which had grew in size in the last couple of days (thanks to Kris) in order to join the land of the living. The pink wisps are almost foreign, something Kyungsoo did not know he truly had for years. Kyungsoo did not know if this is really, really bad, or really, really good.

For Jongin held a part of his love for Kris in his artificial heart.