part 2 [the happy mask]

Artificial Happiness

Kyungsoo's breathing is ragged as he yanks the mask off his face, throwing it into a discarded jar to this left. His hand covers his eyes as he stumbles almost drunkenly to the nearest mirror. He had seen his mask through the reflection of a customer's glasses and he felt so disgusted. That was not his true face. That was not his actual face for years. He was seeing himself feel artificial emotions.

It angered him.

When he reaches the bathroom upstairs, he slowly drags his hand down his face in front of the mirror. He sighs in relief when he is met with eye bags and unhealthily pale skin.

"This is real," Kyungsoo exhales shakily and throws cold water onto his face. "this face is real."

He grabs the hand towel and dries his face, blood shot eyes blinking back at him. He places his hand on the mirror and traces his finger along the glass. The doll maker tries hard to not clench his fist and break the mirror. Shame fills up his mind and soul, gripping tight onto whatever it can latch onto. Kyungsoo feels wetness on his face. He pulls his hand back as he sees tears leaking out of his eyes. He hunches over the sink as he openly sobs, gripping the sides as his knuckles turn white.

He hiccups and wails, shoulders shaking at the strength of his cries. He hastily wipes at his face, trying to stop the tears and dry his cheeks. He groans as he looks back in the mirror, looking at his disheveled state.

"I need the mask." He sighs and runs his hand through his messy hair.

He stumbles his way back to the shop downstairs, looking at the glowing jar warily. He looks to the grandfather clock and sees that he has two more hours until closing. Kyungsoo slowly makes his way to the jar and grabs the mask from inside. He bites his lips as he hears the whispers coming from its inside. It looked like a regular mask on both sides, porcelain with obvious paint . He vaguely wonders if he chose the wrong wisp out of his heart to power the mask.

"Here goes nothing." He grumbles and puts it on with both hands.

The doll maker quickly closes his eyes as the mask grips onto his face, becoming one with his skin and digging into his bones. It doesn't feel as unpleasant as the first time, but it still gives off an uncomfortable feeling, almost like an immune system rejecting a donated organ. When the feeling subsides, he releases a sigh and blinks. He touches his lips, almost expecting to feel the porcelain but in fact is met with skin. He shudders in disgust and pull his hand away. When he hears the door bell jingle, he quickly hides the jar and faces the door, a smile stretching his lips on instinct. Kyungsoo tries not to scream in agony as the smiles doesn't go away, still curling upwards as the man walks in slow strides to the counter.

This customer is different from the rest, looking nervous and out of place as he pulls at his collar. Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows as he takes in the man's appearance. Skinny jeans and a white, button up shirt and blond, gelled hair. He blinks in confusion as the man looks around rapidly, taking in the setting.

"May I help you?" He keeps his voice steady, trying not to make it obvious that he had been crying a couple minutes ago.

"You, uh, make the DOLLS right?" The stranger clears his throat as he refuses to make eye contact with him.

"Yes, I do." Kyungsoo nods slowly, wondering what was wrong with him.

"Do I just, uh, ask for one?" His face blows up in a blush, beginning to sweat.

"What do you want your DOLL to look like and act like? Do you have an ideal type?" Kyungsoo drones out the normal questions.

"Ideal type?" The man scrunches up his nose.

"Do your want your DOLL to be kind? Do you want him with an attitude? Submissive? Dominant?" Kyungsoo smirks.

Kyungsoo feels amusement crawling up his chest, and tries not to snort as the more he speaks, the redder the stranger's face gets. He opens his mouth to continue, but quickly shuts it when the stranger finally makes eye contact with him. He's beautiful. Why would someone like him need a DOLL? He looks as if he could have anyone.

"I don't know." The stranger says softly, looking at him with wide eyes.

"I guess I can think of something." Kyungsoo smiles softly, his eyes squinting slightly.

"That's great," The stranger clears his throat. "I'm Kris by the way."

He sticks out his and Kyungsoo hesitantly shakes it, enjoying how warm it felt against his clammy, cold ones.

"Kyungsoo," He feels his fake lips stretch, almost making him believe it were real. "nice to meet you."

"You have a really nice smile," Kris blurts out as he pulls his hand back. "I mean uh, see you later."

"See you." Kyungsoo blinks and tries to control the feeling of shyness that pounds in his chest.

The doll maker frowns once the door closes and feels the mask slowly start to peel off his face before it falls forward and hits the counter with a clang. He grimaces and clenches his fist at his side. He touches his chest and rubs it softly.

"So, any feeling of real happiness repels you, huh?"