part 9 [regrets]

Artificial Happiness

'Oh, if I had three wishes, my first would be for you,'

Kyungsoo doesn't normally drink. And by normally, he hasn't drank alcohol since his 21st birthday, which convinced him to never drink again. But this situation called for a bottle of vodka and he could honestly care less about his morals right now.

'And if you became my love, I'd return the other two.'

He takes a large swig, wincing at the burn in his chest. This would all be a temporary relief. Once he returned to the land of the sober, he'd be back at the reality that held no Kris or Kai. A reality he did not have to return to at the moment. He wiggles his bare feet, blinking as his vision swarmed.

'All the other things I want will be mine when you're my own.'

He scowls at the radio by his hip and slams his free hand down onto it. He sighs as it begins to static and changes to another station. As much as he enjoyed the station that played songs from many centuries ago, he is rather annoyed that only love songs were ever played.

He felt mocked.

'None but the lonely heart, can know my sadness'

"Don't I know it." Kyungsoo groans and takes a large swig, not feeling an ounce of remorse that he had just finished the bottle. He burps and tosses the glass bottle aside, making it roll and hit against the wall. He grabs at another vodka bottle and opens it with finesse.

"My senses fail, a burning fire devours me." The doll maker sings along and sinks into his pillows.

Kris realizes that he had messed up the minute that he saw that it is not Suho who is on his desk. He stares at the foreign DOLL in thought, trying to wonder why this DOLL was even next to Suho back at the shop. He frowns at the cob webs and dust that cover its body, showing its old age and abandonment. He runs his large hand through its black hair and traces the roundness of its face.

"Who are you?" Kris furrows his eyebrows.

Kyungsoo had told him that Suho was the very first DOLL ever brought back. So who is this one?

"Are you Kyungsoo's?" Kris's eyes widen, leaning down to get face to face with the dormant DOLL.

He gasps as the DOLL begins to shake, lightly glowing as it grew in size. Porcelain turning into flesh and bone. Kris collapses into his chair when the DOLL fully becomes a human male, covered in only a long white t-shirt.

"Who are you?" The DOLL squints at him in suspicion.

"Kris, my name is Kris." He gulps, taking in his beauty as he slowly slides off.

"Oh! You are the one Kyungsoo's heart has found!" Kai's face lights up and happily hugs him, knocking the wind out of the blonde's lungs.

"I beg your pardon?" Kris wheezes, not sure if he should push him off.

"I wasn't able to fully see because of all the dust and cobwebs, but in my dormant state, I could still hear and feel things." He hums. "I could sense that you were bringing happiness back to Kyungsoo."

"I'm sorry, but who are you again?" Kris sighs as he pulls away and climbs off.

"I'm Kai. I was Kyungsoo's DOLL." He looks down in what seemed like shame.

"Was?" Kris's eyebrows shoot up to his hairline.

"I fell for another." Kai winces. "I love Kyungsoo, truly, but not as a lover. I regret for the things I've done to him in the past and I wish to apologize."

"So you were left to rot on his shelf?" Kris says flatly, feeling anger cloud his mind.

"I chose to become dormant, and Kyungsoo did not have the heart to destroy me." Kai brushes aside paperwork to reclaim his seat on the desk.

"He must have loved you a lot." Kris says bitterly.

"Yes, exactly, loved." Kai smiles. "He loves you now. But he's too dense to realize it."

"Kyungsoo has been lying to me. He's literally been collapsing from the inside out and he covers it up with some happy mask." Kris spats, clenching his fist.

"So that you wouldn't have to know." Kai says softly, reaching over and placing his hand on Kris's arm.

"Know what?" Kris scowls.

"That he is dying."

Kyungsoo grabs at his chest and begins to cough harshly. He wheezes as he struggles to breathe. Black starts to fill his vision as he drops the second empty vodka bottle to the floor. He hears it roll underneath his bed as he fights to keep himself awake. With the loss of Kris steadily growing in his chest, he knows that his days are now numbered.

'Within my heart
I know I will never start
(To smile again)
Until I smile at you
'