prologue [who am i]

Artificial Happiness

'Ah, look at all the lonely people'

Kyungsoo's hand instinctively slams on his alarm clock. It has been in the same position, on the edge of the bedside table, for the past ten years. His arm automatically knowing what position to fly across Kyungsoo's chest to reach the loud clock. When he had accidentally moved it one centimeter to the left, he had hit his hand on the corner of the bedside table and severely injured his palm, the small, pink scar serving as a reminder.

The first note of the song reminded him it was time to return to reality, to return to seeing that pink scar on his palm. He never seemed to have it in his dreams though. He groans as he flops onto his back, looking up at the poster on his ceiling of the smiling woman in uniform.

"Greet customers with a smile." He reads aloud, blinking the sleepiness out of his eyes.

It was his last resort of motivation.

He sits up and rolls his shoulders, wincing at the audible pops that echo in his lonely room. He's going to feel that one for days. He shivers as his feet touch the ground, cold chills shooting up his legs and his spine, making him fully awake. He shuffles his way to the bathroom, knowing that once he closes the door, reality will hit him harder than a truck. He inhales as the door clicks shut, moving his way slowly to the sink.

He turns on the faucet and washes his face with water, and looks up at the mirror.

"You're 28, your name is Do Kyungsoo," He blinks slowly. "and you create DOLLS for the lonely population of this world."

DOLLS. It is a business he started and a business that brought him wealth and recognition around the country. Yet here he was, living above his shop in a rundown apartment. His so called wealth is currently dusting over in the bank, barely touched. He thought about donating it, but that would require him leaving the house more than he'd like. His customers no longer ask if he is the great Do Kyungsoo, but rather desperately ask for a DOLL that could love them, who cares who creates it. He splashes his face with water again, breathing in shakily as the cold water hits his skin.

"You create DOLLS who become human by using your own happiness," Kyungsoo grabs the hand towel and pats his face. "those DOLLS become the source of love and happiness for the sad people who buy them. No one has had a complaint about their artificial lover in the past ten years."

He smiles sadly as his bloodshoot eyes stare back at him through the mirror. He slowly traces the bags under his eyes, wondering if he might need to use makeup again.

"Kyungsoo," He sighs softly. "your happiness is running out."