Visit From Miryeon

The Fallen Star

Byeol's phone started ringing once she stepped out of the shower. Brushing her wet hair to the back, she answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Byeolie ah~" Baro sang.

Byeol stifled a giggle. "Since when did you start calling me that?"

"It just sounded cute to me so i used it. Does it sound weird?"

"A little. It sounds like you're calling for Channie."

"I'll just stick to Byeol then. It's a unique name."

"Of all names, i just had to get a name which literally defines me."

He laughed. "I miss you already."

"I miss you too."

"Did anything happen?"

"Nothing interesting. Everything's the same."

"Same here. Except that you aren't here."

"Has Jinyoung oppa been teaching you how to court girls?"

"What's that supposed to mean? I'm hurt."

Byeol giggled. "Gongchan has been the same too. Except that he's become really clingly. He almost followed me to the washroom! Did you threaten him with his life?"

"I might not might not have told him i'd kill him if anyone touched a single strand of hair on your head."

"Oppa!"

"Sorry." He laughed sheepishly. "Anyway, the others want to talk to you."

Byeol could hear the others shouting through the phone.

"Byeol ah! Remember to raise your hand while crossing the road!" CNU shouted.

"Don't set the house on fire if you attempt to cook!" Jinyoung hollered.

"I can lend you my camera but don't spoil it!" Sandeul's voice came out a little muffled.

"Did you hear all that?" Baro's voice sounded through the speaker.

"Yup. Can you out me on speaker mode?" Byeol replied. She heard some pressing of buttons. "CNU oppa, i'm not a kid, i don't need to raise my hand while crossing the road. Jinyoung oppa, i cooked some food and Gongchan loved it! I can be a cook now. And Sandeul oppa, i'll take good care of your camera. Love you all!"

"Where's Gongchan?" Jinyoung asked.

"Probably studying now, but he loves you too!" Byeol replied.

"It's getting late, go to bed okay?" Baro turned the speaker mode off.

"You too."

"I love you."

"I love you too." Byeol smiled and waited until Baro hung up. She yawned and snuggled under the covers, falling into a deep sleep.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Byeol woke up in the middle of the night and checked her phone. 3.18am. She got up and went to sit in the backyard, resting her body against the tree trunks, and stared up at the stars in the sky, enjoying the solitary moment she had. 

"Miryeon unnie. I miss you... can you please advise me on what to do?" She sighed. "I know you're watching over me, but could you please tell me something instead of just watching and judging me silently?"

At this moment, her necklace begun to glow brightly, attracting her attention. She removed the necklace and held it in the palm of her right hand. It began to shimmer even brighter. She held it up to the stars, and there was a blinding flash of light. Miryeon appeared in front of Byeol, grinning from cheek to cheek.

"Uh? Unnie! Are you really here?" Byeol stared at Miryeon, unable to believe her eyes.

Miryeon laughed. "You sounded so pathetic i just had to come."

"Is that even allowed?" Byeol asked as Miryeon took a seat beside her.

"Technically it isn't, but i missed you so much i decided to take the risk! Besides, you looked really pitiful. Mind to tell me what's going on?"

"I thought you know everything that happens to me?"

"I follow Gongchan around, not you."

"But he's always around me 24/7."

"Not always."

"Anyway... there's someone i've met whom i suspect is a star."

"So what's the problem?"

"I think she knows that i'm a star."

"What makes you say that?"

"She told me."

"And why do you suspect she's a star?"

"To be specific, a former star."

"What do you mean?"

"Her crystal seems to have been crushed. She keeps it in a tiny glass jar on a necklace around her neck."

Miryeon looked thoughtful. "Well i guess you might be right." She smiled at Byeol warmly. "I heard you got yourself a boyfriend?"

"Ah. I did."

"He's your human, right?"

Byeol nodded, smiling.

"Remember not to get too attached. You'll be leaving this place one day. You haven't forgotten about that... right? Unless you're planning to stay here on earth."

"Of course i haven't forgotten. I'll return home someday."

"That's my girl. It's a pity i can't tell you how to go back though."

"Why can't you?"

"It's against the rules. You're supposed to find a way back up there yourself."

Byeol nodded, secretly relieved.

"Well, it's time for me to go now." Miryeon stood up reluctantly.

"But you just got here."

"I need to go before the celestial star finds out. I'll miss you. Bye." Miryeon ruffled Byeol's hair and vanished, leaving the crystal necklace in Byeol's palms. 

She smiled to herself. "Thank you."

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Haemin caught up to Byeol in the hallways during break time, and slammed her against the lockers, her forearm pressing onto Byeol. 

"What did you mean the other time?" Haemin asked fiercely.

"Excuse me?" Byeol asked, feeling rather confused.

"What do you mean you know what i am?" Haemin snarled.

"I used to think you were nice, i guess i thought wrong." Byeol sighed.

"You haven't replied me yet."

"That tiny glass jar of crushed crystals. It's rather special, isn't it?"

"As special as that star-shaped crystal of yours." Byeol nodded. "All stars are supposed to be good natured. What happened to you?"

"I'm not a star." Haemin finally removed her forearm. "I used to be one." There seemed to be a tint of sadness in her eyes. "You don't remember me, do you?"

Byeol looked into Haemin's eyes. "You seem familiar, i just can't remember."

"I suppose it doesn't matter."

"Why not?"

"Because what i'm going to do, won't be changed even if you know who i am."  Haemin glared at Byeol before leaving.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

How has the story been so far? Do tell me if you've enjoyed it ^^