Shades of Realization

Damned For Good [HIATUS]

 

Listen to 비밀연애 (ft. 송지은 of Secret) by B.A.P : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9aN9aM_ZCQ

Day by day, my curiosity increased. More than the time it took for it to reach its peak, it was the speed that caught my attention. The smallest of things that Yoona said made my ears perk up until I felt like an invisible string was pulling it so high, it hurt. There was something wrong with me being like this and as much scandal as there was in Key’s tone, the truth was, I had already felt this.

I carefully watched Yoona nonchalantly glancing towards Aiden during practices. He would be sitting in the bleachers, talking on the phone to someone, laughing. Yoona would purse her lips then look down at her fingers, then sigh.

Key suggested I test Yoona if I wasn’t sure of his words. As much as I didn’t want to, there was no harm that it would cause. Especially if Yoona had not been hiding anything.

I gulped and took a deep breath. Here it goes.

“Now that I remember,” I mumbled, almost as if I had been talking the whole time. Yoona softly turned around, adjusting the light yellow beret on her head.

“I think it was Hyoyeon? Yeah Hyoyeon…” I my lips. Sorry Yoona, I thought to myself.

“Apparently Aiden has found himself a girl. Not a fling, but something real. Surprising right?”

Halfway through my sentence, my need to know vanished with the colour on Yoona’s face. Her tender eyes spaced out, her constant smile drooped and her lips parted as the light in her expression faded out.

“What….”she muttered, “did you say?”

“Hmm,” I nodded, trying hard to keep up the façade. “I’m not sure if it was Hyoyeon though. It was while I was running around with your costume for alteration. He’s been talking on the phone a lot lately too, hasn’t flirted with any of the girls from last fortnight’s exchange program… Strange right?”

Yoona blinked. I shot a quick glance at Aiden, who was still laughing at something the other end of his phone had told him. My insides churned. What if he really did have a girl?

“Aiden will never settle down,” Key tutted as he dropped me home. “Not unless it’s Yoona. Mark my words, there’s something going on between them, something only they don’t know about.”

“Saya!”

I turned around and brightened up as Woohyun made his way towards us. He shifted his gaze to the person behind me, only to furrow his eyebrows in confusion.

“Where is she going?” Woohyun mumbled as he threw his jacket next to me. I followed his line of vision and panicked.

Yoona was headed towards Aiden.

                                                 *******************************

“….that’s also fine! Hahahaha!!!”

Aiden remained unaware as a tall, slender girl, pulling down her grey sweater and brushing off the dust from her grey jeans walked towards him. There was purpose in her eyes but unsure words lingered on her parted lips.

“Aiden.”

Aiden froze. He ignored Hoya’s persistent questions (“Yah, is that who I think it is?”) and clicked the phone shut. He straightened up and turned around.

Yoona.

Yoona standing infront of him.

Yoona, swallowing her saliva, anxiety on her face, insecurity in her thoughts as she lightly bit her lower lip.

Yoona.

Aiden stayed seated. “Hey.”

Yoona tightened her jaw. Watching her cheekbones under the sunlight made Aiden’s heart skip a beat. It was a strange reaction, having one’s breath taken away by the sight of someone’s cheekbones. But worse had happened to people and worse had happened to Aiden everytime Yoona appeared infront of him.

“You—” Yoona started out strong then fumbled. Aiden found it cute but didn’t say a thing. He watched as she decided whether to use her hands or not. Maybe words wouldn’t be enough, he saw her deduce in her head. Flashes of mauve and yellow teased each other around her.

“It’s been a long time,” Aiden smiled. Yoona guffawed in response.

“We see each other everyday,”she said. Aiden frowned.

“You know what I’m talking about,” he mumbled. Yoona pursed her lips. She knew what he was talking about. But that was the least of her concerns.

“I just… wanted to know something.”

Aiden cocked his head to his right. “What?”

Yoona took a deep breath in, clenching and unclenching her fists. “I….Someone… told me. You… have a girlfriend?”

Aiden blinked. A splash of purple was waiting to jump in on the ongoing duel. This was unusual. This was unlike Yoona. As far as he knew, this combination of colours just did not go with her regarding him.

Unless…

Had he been wrong all along?

“No,” Aiden answered. He didn’t hesitate, he didn’t want to play along. It would be too complicated. And he was waiting for his miracle.

The miracle took place.

The yellow disappeared, the purple vanished with it and left in it’s space was the mauve that was now swirling around with the clarity of white, transforming into a beautiful shade of rose. A dash of orange played it with, tickling the pink colour as it jumped around in joy.

Aiden wanted to laugh at Yoona, tell her that he could see it all. As Yoona watched Aiden’s lips tugging upwards, she knew he knew.

Still, pretence beat all forms of communication.

“Hmm…” she nodded and shrugged. “Alright then. Bye.”

“You’re not going to tell me why you’re concerned. Right?”

Yoona stopped in her tracks. She blinked at the ground, lightly rubbing the sole of one boot on another. She thought of her words carefully and looked over her shoulder.

“ You owe me by a dangerous secret Aiden,” she murmured. “The least you can do in return is answer my questions.”

“You don’t owe me anything?” Aiden said, getting off the bench and standing behind. “I’m sure there’s a back-and-forth play here.”

Aiden watched as Yoona’s small head shook from left to right. “Read every classic you can read and you will find that the weakling is never indebted to the prince unless the latter has saved them.”

Aiden gritted his teeth. “Who said you’re weak?”

Yoona eyes cast down. “Who said I’m not.”

Aiden watched as she walked away, shades of brown popping the rose bubbles into oblivion.