Healed

Damned For Good [HIATUS]

 

"How long?"

"Three years."

Yoona's mouth opened in an 'o' shape. After weeks of keeping the topic of Hyun Joong 'out of order', Saya realied that not talking about her heartbreak was going to suffocate her more. The two girls were sitting inside a popular shack by the sea, Yoona drinking a mocktail and Saya sipping on her coffee.

"So no explanation?" Yoona asked. "I mean, he didn't even elaborate on decent reasons?"

Saya flinched at the acidic tone in which Yoona was speaking. As much as her dislike towards Hyun Joong was justified, Saya accepted the fact that she had once upon a time whole-heartedly loved this man. It took time for people to tolerate hearing bad words about their lovers, past and present. 

"Murakami writes," Saya replied, " 'If you can't understand without an explanation, then you can't understand with an explanation.' I don't want to waste my time on why he did what."

Saya was lying, of course. Yoona probably knew that too. But it was important for Saya to project what she wanted to feel, regardless of whether it was REALLY how she felt.

Yoona gazed at her friend for some time, then smiled and nodded in understanding. "You are Saya afterall."

Saya chuckled and finished the contents of the mug.

"But how was he?" Yoona said, after a pause. "As a boyfriend?"

Saya pursed her lips in thought. After a considerate amount of time, she said, "Hyun Joong was great at masking his feelings with humour. Masking though, not hiding. He was an ace at sarcasm and after some time, I learnt to simply acknowledge each word he said instead of interpreting it. He was a little crazy too. Believed in UFOs, played the bass guitar in the middle of the night much to the agony of his neighbours..."

"Who are you talking about?" Hoya slid next to Yoona, throwing a wide grin at Saya while ignoring the scowl next to him.

"None of your business," Yoona playfully spat out, making Hoya chuckle. Saya smiled at the two, looking at the boy when he asked, "Are you coming for the concert?"

Yoona slapped a hand against her forehead. "I totally forgot to ask you!"

"What concert?" Saya asked, her eyes shifting between the two friends.

"The fund concert of course," Hoya smiled. "Every year we hold it for the town. Instead of paying the taxes, actually. But yeah, it's become a tradition now so..."

"Wait," Saya widened her eyes. "Verdelann is a no tax town?"

"State," Yoona corrected. "All the money raised during the concert is like our annual tax for maintenance, etc. We're pretty much autonomous, thanks to the 'council'."

The look that Yoona gave and the tone she used hinted at Saya that she was talking about the 'immortal' council that had been helping Verdelann for centuries. Smiling in amusement, the two gave each other knowing glances, which noticeably irritated Hoya.

"Hey!" he shouted. "That's mean!"

"What? Can't two girls share a secret?"

Hoya pursed his lips, then smiled again. "So Saya, coming or not?"

"Please come!" Yoona said. "Even I'm performing!"

Saya's eyebrows shot up. She fixed her expression then said, "I don't have anything to do so... I'll be there."

Yoona beamed, excusing herself to pay the bill at the counter. Saya watched her friend's retreating back, exclaiming surprise when she caught Hoya staring at her. The latter gave a small smile to decrease the awkwardness. 

"What were you doing here by the way?" Saya asked. It somehow seemed to her that Hoya would be present at any place that was even brushed upon by Yoona.

"Getting my surfboard fixed," he said, shoving a thumb at a shop behind him. 

"You surf?" Saya asked, genuinely interested.

Hoya nodded. "So do the others."

Saya knew Hoya was talking about his four friends, but what surprised her was how he was talking like there was no 'other' he was going to be with. Almost as if the five knew nothing but each other.

"How long have you known them for?"

The question came out of Saya's mouth without an invitation, causing her to startle a bit. Hoya however didn't seem to mind and narrowed his eyes in thought.

"Hmm..." He looked at Saya and said, "Ever since we were born. Our fathers were good friends."

Saya nodded. So it's true, she thought. The five families were close to each other.

"Now that the topic of family has emerged," Hoya said, folding his arms on the table. "What about yours? I heard you had a rough summer."

After Saya's parents had died, it was almost as if everyone somehow knew what she had survived. Every one would approach her with care, which was why the simple and blunt tone of curiosity in Hoya's voice seemed to faintly reassure her. 

"Don't give me the gory details," Hoya waved his hand when Saya didn't say a word. "I just want to know.. why Verdelann?"

Saya sighed. "My parents wanted me to."

When Hoya raised a brow in question, Saya decided to tell the whole story.

"In the will they left me, there was a letter, a bank account number and a one-way ticket to Verdelann. I had only heard about this place in magazines, none of my friends had ever even passed through Verdelann during road trips. As far as I remember, I don't think my parents ever mentioned visiting this place either. And yet, I have a godmother and a house waiting for me here."

"Maybe your parents knew Boa noona from younger years," Hoya shrugged. 

Saya pouted her lips. "I never heard of her until I received the letter."

Silence settled in. Saya took a quick glance at the sea and took a deep breath in.

"But you're liking Verdelann. Right?"

Saya nodded to Hoya's question. "I thought a change in location would help me deal with the grief. But Verdelann seems to have opened a whole new door for me. There's something in this town that has sort of... healed me."

Hoya traced a circle on the glass from which Yoona was drinking. "I've heard that before."

Saya smiled and stood up when Yoona returned. "Let's go!" she exclaimed, tugging on Saya's wrist. 

"Where??" Hoya followed them, panicking like a little kid. Saya noticed how his playfulness had stormed in like an unexpected lightning, a brooding grey sky underneath his jovial expressions. She didn't know what to make of it but remembered her dealings with Hyun Joong.

Acknowledge, she thought to herself. Don't interpret.

"We have a job, if you didn't know already," Yoona said, sticking out her tongue. "We'll see you next week!"

Waving Hoya good-bye, the two girls jogged towards the road. In her head, Saya repeated the words that almost rang like a charm.

"I've heard that before."