Unknown Memories

Damned For Good [HIATUS]

 

Yunho was only happy to be host to Woohyun for as long as possible, his friendliness only further likening my cousin to my new home. I smiled in relief as Boa told me that she liked the kid and was glad that familial support had come my way.

“Nothing better than family Saya,” she nodded at me, shifting her gaze at Woohyun who was already making the table full of guests laugh with his stories. Apart from the regular circle of Yoona and Yunho, two other men were also part of the night’s dinner—Yoochun and his father, Prosecutor Im.

Prosecutor Im, according to Boa, was a highly respected man not only in Verdelann but it’s neighbouring states and towns. He was the face of justice, the man anyone could go to if they felt to be victims of fraudulent acts. Though Verdelann was crime free, a fair share of law and order was needed when dealing with intruders.

“You have no idea,” Boa sighed, shaking her head, “the number of greedy entrepeneurs wanting to get a share of this pie. Well they ain’t getting it, not with him and definitely not with the Arthurs.”

My stomach lurched at the name, the shadow of a distant memory fading away inside of me. Why had Hero offered to help Woohyun?

“Oh yeah, the Arthurs,” I muttered, only to be knocked over when Prosecutor Im and Yoochun emitted a loud cackle.

“Your boy is surely an entertainer,” Boa winked, walking away with the tray of steamed fish in hand. I followed her, straightening my dress and smiling at Yunho who was already flushing red with excitement. Wine and Woohyun, I thought to myself. What a deadly combination.

“Okay we’re done with laughter therapy,” Boa exclaimed, setting the main course amid the hoots of happiness and amazement. “Let’s start the feast!”

Everyone dug in more enthusiastically then I would have imagined. So the people of Verdelann were hearty eaters too, I mentally noted down, widening my eyes at the speed and accuracy with which the food was vanishing from Woohyun’s plate. Boa’s eyeballs almost rolled out of her head when Woohyun requested for two pairs of fried eggs for his noodles.

“The fish is great!” he explained. “But eggs and noodles spells of home. Please?”

I raised a hand, motioning for him to wait while I was done cooking up the modest order. If Woohyun could maintain his body with this stamina, then there was surely a lot that had changed apart from his physical features. Woohyun never had so much of discipline, never had so much of an incentive to stay in good shape.

I watched Woohyun scarf down his second serving and his dessert with glee, confusion snaking through my head in circles. Intuition began stirring in my guts and suddenly, a sub-conscious memory began tugging inside my head.

Hero standing outside the book shop.

Hero reading a magazine outside college.

Hero lazing around on the beach while Yoona and I sat in the shack.

Hero everywhere.

You might feel you don't need to make an effort but I would say you're being aloof.”

“Yup, his name is Hero. So how do you know him?”

I might not know him yet, but I was definitely going to find out some more. For some reason, this particular man felt the need to be wherever I went.

And for some reason, a voice in my head echoed as I tried to brush it away, you like it.

 

                                                                                        **************************************

"Why did you help him out?"

My hands in my pockets, I watched as Saya sat with her new family, her cousin beaming at her entrance. I took a deep breath and shook my head. This was not possible. 

"As if it's not enough that he's supposed to be extinct," Hoya murmured. "We also have a girl who, well, only you can sense. For us, she might as well not exist."

Saya's eyes were lost and confused and I knew that she had some conflicting thoughts in her head. But what were they? Sure I could sense her aura, but they were all one big mess and trying to read her feelings made me feel like an amateur.

"I'm tired of being away from her," I said and looked up at the starry sky. "This new kid might be danger but as of now, his aura seems fine. And if it's the only way for me to get close to Saya, then I'm ready to take the risk."

"Whatever you say hyung," Hoya said and walked away, knowing well that I wasn't going to return home until the light in Saya's room was switched off.