Proposal

This Love of Ours
Please log in to read the full chapter


He opened his eyes and stared into darkness. He glanced over at the illuminated digital clock on the side table and sighed in resignation. “Great! 05:09am and I am still wide awake!” He got up and went straight to the bathroom for a quick shower to calm his nerves. The shower did momentarily take his mind off the cause of his nervousness but as soon as he opened the shower screen, he felt his stomach churned. “Aah, I’m going crazy! Crazy!” He said aloud when he reached for the towel and wrapped it around his waist. He routinely brushed his teeth, shaved, applied moisturizer on his face and lotion on his body. She bought him his first bottle of body lotion during one of her overseas trip. Since then, her routine became his. He shook his head and smiled like a fool when the fragrant lotion reminded him of her sweet scent.

After he towel dried his hair, he put on a cotton white tee and a pair of black denim. He looked at the clock again. 05:53am. He walked over to the chest drawers to retrieve his iphone; shoved it in his pocket and picked up the dainty hand crafted box. He pushed the cover gently to reveal a custom made platinum ring encrusted with a perfectly cut diamond; six months was well worth the wait. “It’s unique and pretty just like her.” A breath of relief escaped him and he mentally patted himself on the back for his decision to wait for the custom made ring instead of getting a ready-made. Throughout the past six months, he almost proposed to her thrice without the ring. It was a torturous six months wait. But he wanted the proposal to be memorable and surprising so he kept it to himself. The hardest part was keeping it a secret from her. With the ring in hand, he grabbed his car keys and set off to her place.

On the way, he stopped for breakfast and a cup of coffee since it was still early. He visualized himself on bended knees with the ring proposing to her and then a sense of doubt clouded his mind. “What if she isn’t ready? What if she says no?” The thought crushed his spirit and he felt dark clouds loomed over his head. He was so preoccupied with keeping his proposal plans under wrap that he haven’t given much thought about her view on marriage. “Is she ready to marry me? Have I done enough to earn her trust? Did I express myself clearly enough for her to be secured?” Endless questions ran through his mind. Questions he had no answers to. He decided to gauge for her reaction before dropping the bomb. When he reached her apartment, he let himself in using the key she gave him some time back. He never used it as he usually waited for her to open the door. She complained once that he ought to use the key and he told her it was his way of respecting her privacy. His genuine concern for her well being touched her heart and at that moment she fell deeper in love with him; if that was possible.

He gently shut the door and set the lock in place. Then he carefully placed the breakfast and coffee takeout on the table along with his iphone and keys and tiptoed to her bedroom. She was sleeping on her side; her back facing him. He was closing in on her when her alarm clock went off. The sudden alarm shocked him and he shouted; his shout shocked her and she shrieked as she jumped off the bed, facing him. He ran over to cover , “Sshhh, it’s me.” She blinked her eyes a few times in daze before finally registering what was happening. “Aah.. Oppa, you scared me!” She pulled his hand away from and hit his arm with her hands. “Mianhe. Didn’t mean to scare you.. Your alarm scared me too.” He defended himself. “Oppa, you’re early and you let yourself in. Are you hiding something from me?” She stared at him with a suspicious look. His mind raced for an answer. “I was up early but didn’t want to wake you so I let myself in.” He explained truthfully; then he quickly changed the subject. “I brought you breakfast and coffee. You should eat it before it gets cold.” Her face lit up at the mention of coffee. “Kang Gary, you’re the best! Give me a minute to wash up.” She hugged him in appreciation and skipped her way to the bathroom. He laughed at her cuteness, simplicity and peculiar way of expressing herself.

He sat with her at the dining table; he surf the internet while she ate. When he it was s

Please log in to read the full chapter