The Dance Studio

What Exactly Is Love?

“Are you really this annoying every time?”

 “Can you please show me where is the library?” he changed the subject. You were really annoyed by now and so you replied,

“Walk straight and then turn to your left”

“What? Show me! You’re a really bad tour guide”

You thought about it for awhile. It was his first day in a new school, a new environment that he had to adapt afterall. You can’t be very mean to him, he’ll have rough days for the rest of his years in the school. You sighed, you didn’t know why you’re acting cold to him. Maybe, just maybe that he is actually a very nice guy who wants to make friends. And then you thought again, why would he even choose you? You’re a loner in school and unpopular. What did he even see in you? Still, boys will be boys and you really have to be careful whenever you’re around them. You can’t trust them easily. It takes time to build that trust for a guy.

“Alright alright, just for today”

And then both of you went around the school for 2 hours, exploring every single parts and blocks. The teacher allowed you to take Kai around so that at least he will have a rough idea where he is heading to. Kai was the one who asked for that 2 hours though. If not, you’re sure that the teacher would only give you an hour. Since Kai was the one who asked, of course she’ll allow. Kai is the Prince Of Seoul. Who would even dare or want to reject his requests.

After an hour or so, you saw Ara from afar together with the rest of Kai’s friends. But she looked so close to one of the member which you didn’t remember his name. “Wow, she had already met some hot guys as her friends, I see” you smirked.

After the ‘tour’ almost came to an end, Kai suddenly spoke.

“There’s still one place that I’m dying to see though.”

“What is it?”

You both made your way to that room which was in another block. Kai really wanted to see it so you could not help but to just show him the room. Around 5 minutes later, both of you reached the Dance Studio. It is a room that wasn’t really occupied by many and since it was at the last block, many students were lazy to drop by the dance studio. It was often kept empty. And that was the reason why you didn’t show Kai the dance studio earlier on. You thought that he wouldn’t even care about its existence.

“Does no one really come here?”

“Nah, not really. Most of them are in sports anyway.”

Both of you went in. You took a seat on the floor, leaning against the wall while Kai roamed around the room. He seemed to be really amazed by the room.

“Do you dance?”

“Yeah, I love dancing. I even thought of being a professional dancer in the future but my dad doesn’t approve.”

“Can you dance for me?”

“Are you sure? Haha I haven’t dance in front of anyone before, except for Exo-K”

“Who are they?” you asked bewildered. You have never heard of that name before.

“Oh they’re my friends who transferred together with me. Our group is called Exo-K. Anyway, be grateful that I am going to dance for you right here, right now. So be thankful because I don’t dance for anyone else” he said while plucking his phone to the speaker.

His moves, you watched every single move carefully. All your attention was only to him. To him dancing. Your heart felt really light and there were butterflies in your stomach. You’re not sure of this feeling but all you wanted to do was to stand up and dance together with him. Of course you wouldn’t do that. You were really mesmerised by his moves. The way he dance to the beat, spinning, the isolations. All of them was perfect. Yes, perfect. When the music stops, he stopped dancing and went to sit beside you while panting hard. You looked to your right and you saw many droplets of sweat trickling down his cheeks.

“Kai, it..it..w..was..amaz..amazing!” you finally blurted out. You cant seem to understand why you were stuttering.

Kai just smiled sweetly at you and both of you just stayed in your position. Minutes had passed and you’re sure that you guys were late. You stood up and was about to ask him if he wanted to go back to class but he pulled your hand and you fell to the ground, where your original postion was.

“Kai..”

“It’s okay I’ll take the blame. Please stay.”

You just nodded and adjust your position so that you were more comfortable. You waited for him to speak up but he was just silent. It wasn’t an awkward silence though. It was a comfortable one. You don’t know why but you feel comfortable. Kai had shown you his dancing side where he only showed Exo-K and no one else. Can you really trust him? “No no, not yet. It’s just dancing right.. Can’t be that he is already open to me. This is only our second day of meeting." you thought to yourself.

When both of you went back to class, there was only 15 minutes left before the school bell rings, indicating that school is over for that day. Right when the teacher released your class, you quickly packed your things up and ran out of class as fast as you can. You don’t know why but one of the reasons was to escape from Kai so that he wont annoy you for the remaining hours of the day. He shouted your name a couple of times but you just ignored and continue running. You didn’t know where your feet was taking you until you reach the dance studio. You shouldn’t have ran all the way from the classroom to the dance studio. Your asthma might be back anytime. With careful steps, you made your way into the dance studio. It was quiet and empty. The perfect atmosphere you wanted. Unknowingly, you plucked your iPod to the speaker. You were a dancer since young. You took classes and was also taught by your dad. Your parents loved seeing you dance and they supported you a lot. You stopped dancing when your dad died. You lost faith, confidence and courage. But after you saw Kai dancing, your heart melted and you suddenly missed dancing a lot. Sure you haven’t been dancing for ages but the basics are all stored in you. It was a gift for you. Your natural talent. You don’t mind dancing right there even though you missed out a lot. Because it’s only you, yourself. You’re alone in that dance studio anyway. The music started playing. It was a really soft music. You decided to do ballet since it suits your mood perfectly at that moment. You first took slow and simple steps. You just let your body sway and move to the calm music. Finally, you got the feel of it and closed your eyes while dancing gracefully. Everything around you disappeared. The world disappeared.

Right after the music stops, you fell to the ground with a hard thud, feeling exhausted. Out of nowhere, you suddenly felt someone in front of you. You couldn’t hear what the person was saying because you were sobbing silently. You whispered loud enough for the person in front of you to hear,

“Appa, I made it. I can still dance”