Eight

We Have Chemistry?

Park Jimin was known to be one of the most popular boys in his school. He always had an air of confidence around him, always smiling, always laughing. But today in particular, he just felt like nothing. He felt like the Park Jimin who didn’t do as he promised. Someone who cowered away from a problem. Someone who let the one person he cared for, outside of his group of friends and family, hate him.

After the basketball incident, Jimin thought his relationship with Seulyeon would change a little bit. But it didn’t. She still hasn’t spoken to him, not even a single smile like before. His friend in his gym class had told him what happened after Jimin out. Seulyeon followed the group to the nurse’s office and stayed to take care of him. He was really thankful for that but could never tell her. Not because he was scared, but because he never had the opportunity. And it probably made the girl hate him even more.

Seulyeon leaned on Yumi’s shoulder, feeling deflated. “Yumi-ah. Why is it do I feel this way? It’s Park Jimin’s fault I’m being made the target and yet after seeing him fall that day, I just can’t get rid of the feeling that I should forgive him.” She gave up trying to scrub her sneakers clean from the wet dirt that her bullies stained it with.

Yumi rolled her eyes. “You want to know what I feel?” She grabbed her friend’s shoes and started scrubbing them, also. “I want to find out who’s the mastermind behind all this ridiculousness and just beat the hell out of them. They’re so absorbed in trying to ruin your life, but for what benefit? To win that guy’s heart? A guy like Park Jimin isn’t going to fall for someone who only has dirty tricks up her sleeve. Although I’m a bit shocked to find that he hasn’t said a damn thing about this whole mess.”

Yumi was angry to say the least but she tries her best to stay calm. Taehyung had reached out to her about his suspicions about the whole ordeal and wanted her to keep quiet and be on the lookout before he confirms it. She even neglected to spend some time with Jaehoon just so she can be with her best friend. But Jaehoon was understanding and was even let in on the mission to find who the culprit is.

Jimin spent his lunchtime alone, lying on a bench to clear his thoughts. However, the quiet moment was ruined by a presence. Minyu had shown up and called out to him. He looked at her as he sat up, not offering a seat for the girl, but she sat next to him regardless.

“Jimin-ah. You must feel terrible. A girl like her is trying to ruin your reputation! I’m sure you regret it, being her partner, I mean.” Minyu fakely exclaimed. “She attacked you in your own home and had the audacity to show her face at school and nursed you when you fainted in gym, you must be angry.”

And indeed, he was angry!. He turned to the girl and scowled. “The only thing I’m angry about is how you could talk about someone when you don’t know a damn thing about them.” And he stood up, leaving the girl behind. Jimin knew it was time to stand up for what he believes is right. He was through trying to run away without reason and tired of feeling guilty for the pain he had caused.

Minyu stared at his back as he walked away, shocked at how Jimin had spoken to her. She grew livid, more motivated to ruin Seulyeon’s life even more. She calmly stood up and made her way to the rooftop with a bucket in hand, her lackeys following after her upon seeing her. They filled it up with water, dirt, and sand and waited for the perfect timing.

Seulyeon quickly walked towards the school building after lunch only to have water and dirt poured on her. She gasped, wiping her eyes and looking up to catch the culprit, however, no one was visible. Everyone around her stood still before laughing and pointing fingers at her. She wanted to cry but she couldn’t anymore. She was tired and drained. Yumi luckily came to her rescue after receiving a text from Jaehoon witnessing the entire event.

Jimin, unfortunately, was the last to know about it. He laid on his bed after being on the phone with Taehyung, thinking about what he could’ve done to prevent everything. But he sighed. He was still determined to do something now before it was too late.