Jessica

Fighting For Love; the Story of the Girls who Won

I was spending more time outside of EXO’s dorm than before, relishing the crisp air and savoring the snowflakes that fell on my tongue. It made me feel a sense of freedom, leaving the suffocating room that I had imprisoned myself in to drown within my thoughts.

 

“Jess, you grabbing a fish stick?” Baekhyun called. Chen lounged beside him, chomping down on his treat. The other members were scattered around me, chatting as they looked around at the shops surrounding us.

 

“Oh no, I’m fine,” I replied with a smile. “Thanks for accompanying me, by the way,” I added, addressing the band as a whole.

 

“It’s our pleasure,” said Luhan. “You’re a part of our family now.”

 

I beamed at him. “Really? That means so mu--”

 

“Really,” Tao answered, cutting me off as he stuffed a fish stick into my mouth.

 

I was quiet as I obediently chewed on my snack, glancing around at the shops that surrounded me. “Hey Jess, let’s walk.” Lay called out, beckoning me to join him. He stood beside Suho and Kyungsoo, watching me with an expectant look.

 

I began to stroll alongside the trio. “You know, I have yet to buy my little sister a present before she leaves for Canada,” Suho mentioned casually.

 

“There’s really no need to,” I said cheerfully, grateful that he had thought of me. “You guys are the best friends and big brothers I could ever have, and that’s enough of a lifelong present.”

 

“We have had fulfilling memories together, haven’t we?” added Lay. I grinned at him.

 

“Remember that time we played tag?” Kyungsoo asked, a reminiscent look on his features.

 

“Yeah, that was a fun day,” conceded Suho with a laugh. “When Kris fell, then Chanyeol argued that Kyungsoo hadn’t tagged him when Kyungsoo obviously had, then Tao and Kai got mad, then Sehun and Luhan--Jessica?”

 

I had stopped walking, my eyes latching onto the dress store in front of me. Lay joined me with the others.

 

“Ah, the dress store,” he said, nodding gently.

 

December 17th. The day that Xiumin would be waiting for me at the dance.

 

“Are you going?” Lay asked, wrapping an arm around me securely. He had read my thoughts.

 

“Ye-no,” I said hurriedly, stuttering as I changed my answer mid-sentence.

 

The boys laughed. “Still, we should buy you a gown,” teased Suho. “Just in case.”

 

“No, Suho, you really don’t--”

 

“It’s my present to you,” he said sternly. “You have to accept it as my little sister.”

 

“Let’s do it, Jessica,” D.O. added quietly.

 

My eyes moved to meet his. He watched me with a meaningful look.

 

I paused, then nodded. “Okay,” I sighed. “Nothing too expensive, though.”

 

An hour later, I swayed on my feet in front of a mirror. The little black dress that had been tugged over me wrapped around my body tightly.

 

“I really can’t breathe in this,” I gasped, straining as I spoke.

 

“It looks...too small, perhaps,” Lay suggested. D.O. stifled a snort as he nodded.

 

I shot Kyungsoo an annoyed look. “I told you guys that short dresses aren’t my style. I look like a--”

 

Suho cut me off. “Alrighty, let’s look for another one. Something longer, maybe with more color.”

 

I sighed as I stumbled back into the dressing room. Although the boys had approved of a few dresses I had tried on, I hadn’t found a single one that looked right on me. Ripping off the black leather dress, I threw it away in disgust. Minseok wouldn’t have liked that dress either. It didn’t match with the hairpin he had gifted me.

 

Wait. I hadn’t even planned to meet Minseok at the dance. I wasn’t going to date him. My parents would never forgive me if I went against their rules, especially after the unexpected arrangements that they had made. Not only that, but his millions of fans would slaughter me if they found us together. I didn’t want to end up the way Natasha had a few days ago, bandaged and drugged in the hospital.

 

“Jess,” Suho called out. “You done in there?” He threw a dress over the door to my dressing room. “Try this one on. It’s pink and has a girly design that might suit you nicely.”

 

I struggled to keep my voice even. “Okay.”

 

I pulled the gown over my head and smoothed it down before stepping out of the room. “It looks good!” Lay said delightedly. “You look so cute.”

 

Suho didn’t look as satisfied. I turned away and searched for Kyungsoo, later finding him at another corner of the store. “How do I look?” I asked timidly.

 

He looked me up and down. “Do you feel pretty?” he asked skeptically, wearing an expression similar to Suho’s.

 

I shook my head. “This is useless. I really didn’t want to go dress shopping in the first place.” I flopped onto a nearby chair, willing myself not to cry. “These dresses really don’t suit me. Can we leave?”

 

D.O. was quiet for a moment, watching me silently. “I’m not a dress expert, but if you’re willing to try a last-ditch effort…” he trailed off, and I raised my eyes to look at him. Kyungsoo seemed to struggle with himself for a brief second before continuing. “May I suggest a gown?” he asked apprehensively.

 

D.O. hadn’t recommended a single dress after stepping into the store. He had only stood and studied the outfits available, and had remained silent while the others critiqued the dresses I’d tried on. “Okay,” I answered, feeling unsure but hopeful.

 

Kyungsoo strolled to the back of the store, and I trailed behind him. After combing through the dresses hung on a particular rack, he pulled out a gown. “This one stood out to me. It looks nice, doesn’t it?”

 

I was speechless.

 

It was a long golden gown that flowed to the ground. Two glittering shoulder straps led to a dazzling body of exploding gold swirls and elegant designs. The gown trailed off with a translucent amber finish, gold sequins further decorating the design. It was too beautiful, too breathtaking for words.

 

“You don’t like it?” D.O.’s face fell slightly as my eyes trailed down the dress. “I thought that it looked quite sophisticated, if you ask me.”

 

Wordlessly, I pulled him into an emotional hug. “You just saved my life, Kyungsoo.”

 

“What? How?” he stuttered, momentarily caught off guard.

 

“It’s perfect,” I replied, sniffing as I took the dress from him. “Look! It’s even my size.” I hugged Kyungsoo again, squeezing him tightly. “Thank you. Thank you so much.”

 

A minute later, I stepped out of the dressing room. When Suho turned to face me, I saw the spark I had been looking for in his eyes. “Wow,” he breathed, a huge grin spreading across his face.

 

Lay began to clap, and I laughed. “You’re a princess!” he said happily. “I don’t know what I was thinking about the other dress.”

 

D.O. was silent again, shadowing the other two as they congratulated me. “Kyungsoo?” I asked anxiously.

 

He nodded with satisfaction. “It’s pretty,” he said quietly, punctuating the compliment with a small smile.

 

I turned to the mirror with a grin. I finally felt beautiful.

 

After Suho bought me the dress, we left the store together. I walked with a new bounce in my step, a smile stuck to my face. “Why don’t we join the others?” I asked cheerfully, linking my arm through Suho’s.

 

Before he could reply, EXO’s van squealed to a stop in front of us. Baekhyun rolled down the window with a frantic expression.

 

“You guys have to get in. Now,” he gasped.

 

My eyes widened as I tried to grasp the situation. “What happened?” Lay asked immediately, shuttling me into the van beside D.O. and Suho.

 

“Chanyeol phoned us. He said that Natasha had left the dorms to meet Ahmad, and he had taken her to the Incheon International Airport.” Baekhyun shifted the gears, stomping hard on the pedal.

 

“So?” I asked, agitated.

 

“Natasha had left intending to break up with her boyfriend before returning as soon as possible,” Baekhyun continued hurriedly. “Ahmad just phoned the dorm, and left a message.”

 

I looked at D.O. His eyes were as bewildered as mine. “I don’t get it,” he said slowly.

 

“Ahmad says that Natasha has decided to leave Korea, and is taking the next departing flight in five minutes.” Baekhyun shot a glance at me, and I watched him with a horrified expression. “Something’s wrong. If we don’t catch her now, she won’t be coming back.”