(I)

Another Cinderella Story : It's Okay, It's Love

There are times where we couldn’t even accept the reality, because we will feel like the world is so unfair and cruel towards us. This is what I face everytime I try to console myself about how I’m currently living. It hurts like hell. I always wished that my life would turn like Cinderella where I can ended up by marrying a Prince and live happily ever after. Talking about Cinderella, of course I would talk about my step-mother and two wicked step sisters. Yeah, it’s true.

            “Naeun!”

            I woke up from my not-so-comfy bed lazily, slighty stretching my body up. It didn’t take a long time for me to wake up since the voice of my wicked step-mother is already like huge sound-wave that will blow up everything. “Coming!” I said while getting off the bed and quickly bolted into the bathroom. After finishing with my quick-wash, I quickly went downstairs and of course, make my way to the kitchen because if I don’t make something to eat the three lionesses would lost their sanity.

            “Naeun, please make sure that the egg is half-fried,”

            Okay that’s annoying. Well, I let me introduce you my step-sister, Bang Minah. Of course, she’s totally an annoying person for me and I couldn’t even handle her sudden bad-temper. Not forget to mention that she’s a bossy type and only thinks like she’s the one who always right. Urgh, that’s really pissed me off.

            “Me too! And don’t forget to add some mustard on it,” A voice followed up. I scoffed as I prepared the wok on the stove. I don’t even eat yet but I have to serve for them first. That’s the routine of my life.

            Oh yeah, I almost forgot to introduce the second step-sister, Bang Minji. She’s a real troublemaker. You won’t feel hesitated to run from her because she has this kind of obsession syndrome. I still remember there’s one time when she got a new friend when she enrolled in elementary school and she’s being over-protective towards her new friend and didn’t allow her to befriend with the other students. That’s why she sticks to her sister, Minah. They maybe seems okay but you won’t know it until they fight with each other. It’s a complete disaster and I’m the one who would feel burdened the most because they would throw everything in the house. And of course, I would be the one who is so-called-responsible to clean all the mess up and it’s damn so frustrating!

            Anyway, back to my step-mother, Han Jihae. Wow, until now I regret with myself for having a thought that she’s the angel in this Earth. Nah, it’s easy for her to fool a 10 years old girl by acting like an angel, treating me like a princess and called me with ‘darling’ name. The truth is, after my father died during I was 13, she starts to drop off the ‘darling’ name and just calls me with ‘Naeun’ in a really harsh way or ‘Maid’ in front of her friends and acted like she doesn’t even know me when we met at school. All she cares about is my father’s wealth and her two wicked daughters. Honestly, I once have an urge to run away from this mansion but since it’s the only thing that my father left for me, yeah I did think about it twice and I console myself to stay. So, that’s all about them. I always have a thought where I will be free from this kind of state. Sighs. I won’t spending my time here and get myself a mansion, not being the slave of the three of them anymore. And that’s the promise that I made to myself. I would find a way to ditch myself out from here and cut all the ties between me and them.

            “Breakfast is ready,” I said with a tiring tone, hoping that they won’t asking me to make any chores aside from cooking the breakfast. Minah and Minji quickly come in their school uniform, probably going to the school together. Darn it, I don’t even change into my school uniform yet and I bet that I would be late if I make myself a breakfast right now. I excused myself and went upstairs, bolting into my room to change into my school uniform. I shouldn’t be late since it’s the first day of the school. Anyway, did I mention that my step-sisters and I went into the same school. Yeah, that’s the reality is. Luckily that they don’t even reveal that we’re having this kind of relationship at the school and of course, the teachers and students doesn’t even acknowledge it too. After changing, I quickly rushed downstairs. Unfortunately I bumped into my step-mother. What a bad timing.

            “Naeun, come back straight after the school ends.” She said not even looking at me. I slightly nodded at her, of course I have to obey her orders if not she would threaten me in many ways like “You are grounded for a month!” or “Lock yourself up in the room and don’t even dare to feed yourself a meal.” Well, that’s how scary she is. I quickly bolted out from the house and went to the gate.

            “Hey!” A boy the same school uniform as me waved his hands with a big smile plastered on his face. I moved faster as soon I saw his happy face. As I passed the gate, I quickly jumped onto the boy, pulling him into a hug.

            “Kyungsoo!” I shouted happily while being in his arms. Kyungsoo literally let out a soft chuckle as he caught me and make a spin like 360° and yeah it makes me feel so happy. Finally after a month, I manage to meet him again. For God’s sake, I miss him like crazy and my life was so miserable without him by my side.

            “Damn, I miss you like so much!” I said to him, greeting him with a soft-slap on his shoulder. He giggled non-stoply which caused his heart-shaped lips become obvious. “Yeah, I know. Miss you too.” He said while ruffling my hair into a mess. I literally scoffed as I tidy up my hair and tie them into a horse-tail.

            “I’m glad that you’re finally back,” He looked at me with that kind of expression of oh-my-I’m-so-touched. We chuckled together again before we started walking to our school which would take about 15 minutes by walking. I hope we won’t be late. Anyway, I forgot to tell you about this guy, the only person that I have in this lovely Earth. Whooops, you may would misunderstand that he and I are such a lovey-dovey couple but nah.. We’re not. The fact is, he is my only the most treasured bestfriend ever! Oh my, I couldn’t even imagine a world without him, I would be like an artist without his brush. I already treat him like an elder brother as he is a year older than me and he helped me a lot in dealing with my stepmom and stepsisters anger. Talking about him, there’s a thing that you should know about him. Seriously, he is a really soft guy and easily gets shy in front of other girls, except me. I almost think that he was a… Yeah, you know what I mean (wicked laugh). Luckily, he is straight and I am so grateful of that. At least I can help him with finding a girl that suits him the most.

            “So… How’s your holiday huh? I’m sorry that I have to leave you just like that. My mom should tell me earlier about her plan to spend the whole holiday at Honolulu. I felt bad for not informing you.” Kyungsoo explained as he apologized. Nah, I don’t even mind about it. But still, I was sad because I only knew about it after I asked one of his Musical Club members, the tall guy named Chanyeol. Kyungsoo was supposed to join their street performance at the Sumdamdong district at that time but unfortunately, he couldn’t because of his mom’s plan. After all, it’s hard for Kyungsoo to reach me since I don’t have any celllphone. Jihae wouldn’t let me to have it and I also don’t have enough money to buy it. The only thing that I have is a MP3 player that Kyungsoo gave me for my last 15th birthday present. How sweet!

            “I guess I don’t want even talk about it. Seriously,” I said, answering his question earlier. Kyungsoo let out a light chuckle. “Devastating, huh?” He asked. I rolled my eyes while elbowing the upper part of his body. Kyungsoo grunted as if it’s hurt like so much.

            “Very very devastating! You don’t even want to get through of it.” I said. It reminds me to the pain that I had to get through for the whole holiday. No freedom at all. It turns heller as I don’t have Kyungsoo by my side.

            “Okay, let’s get off from the topic since I might get goosebumps if I heard their wickedness,” Kyungsoo gradually stated. I agreed as well since it would just made me remember my own nightmares for the whole month that I already passed through.

            “So… Why don’t you tell me about your holiday, Soo? How’s Honolulu? Hawaii must be interesting isn’t it?” I asked, trying to imagine the beautiful sight of Honolulu and the Hawaii Beach. Damn, when will I manage myself to set up my own foot there! Gosh, like seriously I really want to experience the beach once. The last time that I visited beach is during last ten years with my mom and dad.I still remember myself walking with mom and dad hand in hand while walking by the seashore. It’s the moment that I treasured the most in my life. Yet, it makes me felt sad a bit, though. I miss my mom. And also my dad. I kept telling myself that they’re being happy and met at the heaven, staying with each other while watching me from above. Are you there, mom? Dad? I couldn’t even realize that I’m tearing up. Oh gosh, what’s wrong with me?

            “Naeun, what’s wrong?” Kyungsoo frantically asked as he realized sudden change. We stopped walking. He slowly patted my shoulder softly as I wiped the white fluids from my cheek. I don’t even remember when was the last time I cried but I don’t even expect I would cry so suddenly in this beautiful morning.

            “Missing them, aren’t you?” Kyungsoo guessed. He knows me so well, better than I knew myself. Well, that’s what bestfriend are for right? I tried to calm myself, slowly breathing in the air so that I won’t cry again. Kyungsoo pulled me to the nearest bus stop that we just passed just now, asking me to take a seat and calm myself. I took a deep breath, and exhaled just like I threw away all my thoughts about my late parents. Damn, I miss them like so a lot. Kyungsoo stood still in front of me, trying to cover me so that I won’t be seen by the pedestrians or the drivers on the road. Yeah, I’m the type that would be shy if people saw me cried. Except Kyungsoo. He’s the only person that I could spill out my tears in front of and borrow his shoulder to cry on. Really, thanks to God for sending him to me.

            “Are you done?” He asked me, turning to me. I slightly nodded, my eyes were already free from the white fluids and I felt better. “Yeah, I’m okay now. Thanks, Soo.” Kyungsoo smiled a bit, maybe he felt relieved after I reassured him that I’m totally okay. “So…..” I said while standing on my feet. My eyes were plastered on Kyungsoo who is busy staring at his wristwatch. “Oh no, we are late.” He said in a calm tone. I was quite puzzled and a few wrinkles were drawn on my forehead. We’re late yet he still manage to act calm?

            “Hey, we should hurry then!” I said in rush, getting ready to have a walk again but I stopped as Kyungsoo didn’t move a step. I asked him why but then he didn’t even answer me and gave me his michevious smile. “Soo, we’re late.” I said to him sternly. Kyungsoo let out a light chuckle, making his steps beside me.

            “You know what, I think I have a better idea,” He said, raising up his brows. At first I was quite puzzled but then I finally manage to catch up with what he’s thinking. Oh my god. Is he crazy or what!?

            “Wait.. Are you telling me that you’re planning to ditch the school?” I guessed. Kyungsoo grinned at me and didin’t took a long time for him to nod. My jaw dropped as I couldn’t even believe that Kyungsoo was planning that. Wow, this is so unbelievable since I know that Kyungsoo is not the type of student that will ditch up the school. You won’t even believe it because he has this kind of innocent face all the time and the teachers believe in him the most.

            “Are you freakin’ serious?” I asked him seriously. To be frank, I never have an experience of ditching up the school. It’s because I always think that school is the safest for me to be in and the only place where I can be free from my wicked stepmother and stepsisters eventhough my stepsisters attend the same school with me.

            “Yeah, sure. I’m dead serious.” Kyungsoo said, he’s sounding serious when he said it with his pair of big-rounded eyes. I don’t know what should I say either to tag along or not. If I said yes, then it would be my first time doing this kind of crime. Well, it’s not that big actually. Just ditching the school, it’s like you didn’t attend the school. It’s not like we will face a serious problem right? Just one day, it won’t affect our disciplinary records.

            “So senorita, are you in?” Kyungsoo talked sweetly, probably wanting me to tag in along. I hesitantly nodded, doesn’t want him to feel bad too of course. Kyungsoo shout a ‘Yay!’ after I agreed. Oh boy, what a kiddo bestfriend I have.

            “Come on!” He quickly pulled me as he lead me to the other side of the road, probably getting away from the road to our school. We ran so fast which made both of us panted a lot. I gave a slap on Kyungsoo’s back for forcing me running like that. My hair was totally ruined because my hairband just slipped off while I was running so fast with him. Kyungsoo just let out a smile.

            “Okay, now what?” I asked him. Kyungsoo quickly opened his bag, finding something which I don’t know. What is it?

            “Here,” He handed me a beautiful orange sundress with a pair of black legging. I raised my brows while having what-is-this-huh expression on my face. “Your souvenir. It’s from Hawaii. I bought it for you.” I gladly accepted it and thanked him with a quick hug. “Aww, this is so lovely. I never know that you have such a great taste in choosing girl’s attire,” I which caused him to pout.

            “Blame my bestfriend then for being a girl,” He joked which earned a slap from me on the back. Kyungsoo chuckled again. “Come on, we need to change our attire.” He said to me as he lead me to the public toilets at the nearest park. I asked him again, “Why would we change our attire? Can’t we just wear our current attire?” Kyungsoo palmed his face with his right hand.

            “Since when that my bestfriend turned into a dummy? Of course we should change! If not someone will report us for ditching the school,” Kyungsoo said while flicking my forehead. Damn,  it hurts! I’m going to make sure that he’ll pay for this later. I sticked my tounge out, mocking him before I entered the public toilet to change. Kyungsoo also did the same. It’s easy for him since he’s always have spare clothes as he needs to do his part-time job in the evening. The sundress fit me perfectly so does the legging. To be honest, I’m quite touched with Kyungsoo’s skill in findind the perfect attire for me. This is more than enough.

            “Wow, look at you. I’m a great chooser right?” He said with his cheeky grin as I exited the public toilet with wearing the sundress that he bought for me. “Damn you, Kyungsoo. Like seriously, are you planning this from earlier? You asked me to ditch school with you and you had this sundress for me to change,” I nagged alone which only earned his chuckle.

            “Well, I took that as a compliment.” With that, we walked together towards the bus stop again, catching up a bus to bring us to the city. Anyway, I haven’t ask Kyungsoo about his plan for today since he’s the one who’s being the lead. “Hey, where are we going today?”

            “Just wait and see. It would be a great fun. Just act like today is the last day of your holiday, okay?” He said while looking at me. I grinned as I understand what he’s trying to say. “You’re the best Do Kyungsoo,” I mumbled. Kyungsoo turned his head to me. “What is it again, Son Naeun? I couldn’t hear you…” Before he could continue, I smacked his back with my free hand. Kyungsoo laughed hilariously again.