In which there is an intruder

When it's love

 

Jonghyun was awake.

He couldn’t exactly pinpoint why, but either way, he had woken up and was now staring up at his ceiling sleepily. His sluggish brain told him a sound from downstairs had roused him from sleep, but he was too tired to be bothered. Just as he closed his eyes and slowly drifted back to his dreams, he heard it. Again.

Sleep quickly forgotten, his eyes shot open and he sat up, throwing a quick glance at his alarm clock.

1:43.

Which meant it could be neither his mom nor dad. Jonghyun didn’t think it could be his sister either and came to the conclusion someone had broken into the house.

Heart hammering, he slid out from underneath his covers, careful not to wake Roo who was sleeping at the foot of the bed. He grabbed the heaviest book he could find in his room – which so happened to be his much hated physics book – before he made his way down the stairs, as quietly as he could. He stopped right at the botto to glance around the hallway nervously. He held his breath and tried not to make any sound, but it was hard to hear if he actually did when blood was rushing in his ears and his heart beat so fast and loud the entire continent must have heard it.

The front door was still closed and nothing seemed to be out of order in the living room that was to his right. Jonghyun frowned and poked his head around the corner to the kitchen. He nearly dropped the book when his eyes fell upon the open back door and he bit his lip to hold back a frightened whimper, cautiously making his way around the dinner table in the middle of the room to close and lock the door. He picked up the phone lying on the counter beside him and contemplated on whether he should call one of his parents or the police first.

“Pardon me,” a soft, melodic voice suddenly said from the doorway to the hall.

Jonghyun jumped about ten meters into the air, a terrified squeak leaving his lips, and spun around to face the dark shape of a man. This time he did drop the book, but his grip on the phone tightened and he backed up as fast as he could, pressing against the door.

“I-I-I’ve called th-the p-p-police,” he stammered, his voice high-pitched and breaking.

The lights flickered to life and Jonghyun had to reluctantly close his eyes for a moment, the sudden brightness blinding him.

“I do believe you have not signalled any authorities,” the voice said and Jonghyun blinked his eyes open slowly before they widened, his cheeks heating.

In front of him stood a man who looked around his age with dripping chestnut hair and curious amber eyes that somehow seemed familiar. The thing that made Jonghyun blush though was that the man was completely , water droplets and spots of mud running down his muscular chest and stomach, down to… well…

“Y-y-you’re a p-ert!” Jonghyun exclaimed, horrified, and turned his head away. The tips of his ears grew warmer and he had the time to wonder if it was raining outside since the man was drenched.

The man cleared his throat awkwardly and spoke again.

“I do not know what this ‘ert’ you speak of is, however, I assure you, I am but a humble man in dire need of clothing.”

Jonghyun frowned at his way of speaking and chanced a glance back at him. As he looked closer, he noticed something seemed different about the man, except that he was completely of course. He wasn’t able to put his finger on what, but somehow he couldn’t help but believe him, even if it went against his better judgement.

The man smiled when he noticed Jonghyun looking and took a small, cautious step forward.

“If it were possible, could I lend some of you?” he asked and Jonghyun blinked at him dumbly.

“Uh… okay…” he found himself agreeing quietly, without even thinking.

He began to move along the walls of the kitchen, trying to keep as far away from the strange man as he could. There was still that something about him. It had made Jonghyun agree to do what he asked for without question and he didn’t like it. Even as he realised what was happening, he couldn't stop on his quest to find this man some clothes to borrow.

“Thank you,” the man smiled and came closer yet again. “I am indebted to you.”

Again, Jonghyun frowned at his weird way of speaking but he forgot about it as the man suddenly was much too close. He grabbed right his wrist, the finger of his free hand drawing something on Jonghyun's skin right above his palm.

Suddenly the world around Jonghyun disappeared, replaced by sceneries of what seemed to be different seas, stormy and calm, dirty and clean. Then it became a garden full of flowers and light so bright it hurt his eyes, shapes of people walking around and echoing laughter ringing in his ears. It didn’t take long before it all faded away and the kitchen came into view once again, a strange burn pulsing from his wrist. He looked down at it and saw what looked like a small tattoo, a small circle and a triangle connected by their centres and a trident in the middle of it all. It was simple and small, it could easily be covered or hidden, but it stood out against his skin almost obtrusively.

Jonghyun looked up at the strange man and he smiled at him. He quickly pulled his arm out of the man's grasp, cradling his still burning and throbbing wrist to his chest, staring wide-eyed at him.

“What…?” he managed to ask.

“I apologise,” the man said gently. “I am forced to borrow a small amount of your human energy to remain here in this world. The mark will fade when I return to my own.”

Jonghyun blinked at him.

“I am not human,” the man explained simply to his confused gaze. When Jonghyun continued to remain motionless and mute, the man – who apparently was not human – sighed. “I am the fourth regeneration of Poseidon, god of the seas.”

“Poseidon?” Jonghyun repeated weakly and he nodded.

“However, as of now I will go by the name of…” he thought for a while, tapping a finger to his chin. Then his expression brightened and a proud smile spread on his lips. “Jinki.”

“Jinki?” Everything was going a little too fast for Jonghyun's sleep-deprived brain.

The man – no, god – no, Jinki – whatever! – frowned and looked him up and down in concern.

“Could it be you are hard of hearing?” he mused. “Or is it that your brain has evolved slower than it supposedly should?”

Jonghyun blinked at him again, offended.

“Excuse me?” he said. “I’m not handicapped!”

“Oh,” the man said, looking mildly relieved. “Then, once more, could I bother you for some clothing?”

Jonghyun huffed angrily, but found himself once again doing what the strange man – god – something asked and leadi the way up the stairs to his room. He prayed his sister hadn’t woken up since the man was still very much . He quickly ushered him inside his room and closed the door before stalking over to his wardrobe, all the while throwing small glances at the strange man – wait Jinki, was it? – who was looking around his room curiously, ‘oh’-ing and ‘ah’-ing at the things he inspected further – like the remote to Jonghyun's stereo. Jonghyun bit his lip and turned back to his wardrobe, looking for his baggiest clothes since Jinki seemed to be a bit taller and broader than him. He tried not to mind how insane the whole situation was for the moment.

“Um,” Jonghyun started awkwardly when he had found what he was looking for.

Jinki turned to him, his interested expression intensifying.

“I’m not sure my clothes will fit you,” he continued, fidgeting under his unblinking stare, and held out a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. “But you can borrow these.”

Jinki's face broke into a giant smile.

“I am forever grateful.”

“And well…” Jonghyun said, unsure. He didn't know why he was doing this at all to be honest. “W-we have a shower… if you want to…”

He gestured meekly at Jinki’s still wet and muddy frame, his face growing warm again. Jinki looked down at himself, before looking back up at Jonghyun, pondering.

“Ah, yes,” he said slowly. Then his expression grew excited. “That would be very kind.”

Jonghyun nodded tightly and showed him down the hallway to the bathroom. Jinki looked around with big, curious eyes, as if he had never seen anything like it. Jonghyun frowned, but decided not to ask and handed him a towel. Jinki stared down at the soft, yellow fabric in, clearly confused.

“To dry yourself,” Jonghyun explained with his eyebrows raised and a look of comprehension passed Jinki’s face.

“I am very thankful for your generosity,” he said, soft smile on his lips and warm eyes staring directly into Jonghyun's.

Jonghyun shifted on his feet, then stilled when he realised the eyes he had seen earlier that day in the pond were looking right at him at that very moment.

“You were in our pond!” he blurted, without worrying over how crazy it seemed. After all, he was standing in front of a man who claimed he was a god, had somehow given him a strange vision along with a mark and was completely .

Jinki frowned.

“The small sea in the garden? Yes, I unintentionally strayed from my original course of travel and so I alighted there.”

“Uh… huh…” Jonghyun said slowly. Then he cleared his throat. “Well, I’ll let you wash yourself up.”

He slipped out of the bathroom before Jinki could say anything else and almost ran to his room where he threw himself at his phone on his bedside table. If there was one person in the world Jonghyun trusted with everything and always had the solution to any problem it was his best friend. And he desperately needed him right now because nothing made sense whatsoever. He had no idea of what to think. Something told him Jinki was telling the truth, which was scaring him equally as much as it was making him feel relieved. At least it wasn’t a crazy axe-murderer.

But maybe that wouldn’t matter in the long run anyway.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Since I'm a dork when it comes to writing a new story and just get too excited and end up with another chapter -.-' I'm also trying out a slightly different style... I hope it goes well...

Haha, anyway, I hope you liked this! And this story seems to get a lot more subscribers with just what little I wrote than I thought it would O_O not that I'm complaining xD

Those of you who have read my other stuff probably already know this, but yeah, this chapter is not proofread since I'm lazy and can't be bothered at the moment (never really).

So...

Love!<3

Bye~!