The adventures of Kim Kibum: Part 4

When it's love

Kibum was doing his best.

Sure, he had nightmares every night and his days were filled with loneliness as Taemin worked on his scrolls, but at least he was trying to accustom himself to it.

He caught Taemin watching him with a small frown at times and other times with a fleeting feeling Kibum couldn’t put his finger on. It was better than the lack of emotion he had displayed before, but it was still only the smallest step.

He was nonetheless doing his best.

He really was.

However, Taemin wasn’t the easiest person to bring out of the shell. Okay, he wasn’t a person but a god. The sentiment still applied, though.

He kept to himself, hidden behind a neutral mask, and Kibum was at a loss as to what to do. He sat in his armchair all day, half reading his books and half watching Taemin read or write or whatever it was he was doing with those precious scrolls. It was bothering him something extreme, because if he was going to live here with Taemin and grow closer to him, he needed something more than just sitting and observing him. He needed to get to know him on a deeper level for this situation to even work.

“You have a habit of kidnapping your love interests, don’t you?” Kibum decided to open the conversation with when a week of mostly silence had passed. He put his book away to pull his knees up and wrap his arms around them, leaning back against the plush stuffing of the armchair.

Taemin looked over at him questioningly and he gave him a small smile to show he was just curious, not accusing.

“According to mythology, you kidnapped your wife Persephone and sneakily gave her food from the underworld before she went to see her mother again so she would have to return. And every time she would come back to the underworld her mother would make the land barren, turning the season into winter.”

Tilting his head a little, Taemin frowned.

“You certainly have accumulated quite a bit of information,” he muttered under his breath and turned back to the scroll in front of him.

“I have,” Kibum snorted. “So?”

Taemin gave him a faintly annoyed eye cast. He stayed quiet for so long Kibum thought he would be ignored and resigned himself to picking at the small hole in his jeans at his right knee.

“I…” Taemin began softly and Kibum jumped. He looked up from the widening hole and at Taemin, who stareed at the wall in front of him emotionlessly. “Was lonely.”

Kibum bit his lip, keeping his eyes trained on Taemin as he laced his fingers together over his knees and leaned his chin on them, giving him his full attention.

Taemin gave him another quick glance.

“No one wished to associate with me except my brothers. Poseidon in particular took pity on me and made time for me. He was the one being that never tried to change what I am.” His expression turned sad for the first time, and Kibum had to stop himself from gasping at the deep sorrow in his eyes. “I fear I have let him down once again, however.”

“Once again?” he dared to ask.

“Yes.” Taemin nodded. “The first time I betrayed his trust was when I abducted Persephone, and many times thereafter I have continued to disappoint him, the most recent involving you and the jar of Pandora. I regret doing so as he forgives me every time. However, I fear I might have gone beyond forgiveness this time.”

Silence fell as Taemin continued staring at the wall while Kibum watched him, worrying his bottom lip.

“If it makes you sad, why do you do it?” he whispered after a moment.

Taemin frowned and if Kibum didn’t know better he would have thought he was going to cry. Which wasn’t good at all. The tears of a god were powerful things and should not be taken lightly.

“I just… whished for someone to notice me... to love me… like humans and every other god do my brothers,” Taemin murmured, rubbing his forehead with one hand. “I always seem to be left alone with no one to stand at my side, not even my brother, however much he tries.”

Kibum watched him for a silent moment. Then he rose from his seat, approaching Taemin slowly, hesitant. Taemin didn’t seem to notice him, too lost in thought, and Kibum bit his lip again once he came to a stop beside him. He flexed his fingers nervously before hesitantly reaching out and grabbing the hand rubbing Taemin's forehead.

Taemin froze, but Kibum pressed on and interlaced their fingers, cupping the back of his hand with his other hand.

“There’s a saying that goes; if you want to be loved, you have to love yourself first,” he murmured.

Taemin's eyes were wide and confused. Kibum couldn’t help the tugging of his lips and sat down on the desk. Taemin continued staring at him.

“You know,” he said softly. “For this to actually work, we need to start hanging out more properly. Propinquity and all that, right?”

Taemin blinked, then nodded slowly.

“That… might be true…” he mumbled.

Kibum sighed.

“I guess you haven’t had that with anyone before either,” he muttered and looked around the room. “Okay.”

He got up and went back to the armchair to squeeze behind it. He pushed with all his might, but it was heavier than it looked, and he braced a foot against the wall for leverage.

“Wow, this is heavy,” he panted when he finally managed to move it one nanometre. He glanced over the back of it to see Taemin watch him curiously. “What the hell is this chair made of?”

Taemin’s lips actually twitched and Kibum couldn’t help but grin back before returning to the vexing task of moving the armchair. Of course, he had to slip and fall, uncomfortably stuck with his legs and arms in weird angles. He groaned and Taemin's face appeared above him, his eyebrows raised.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Moving this armchair, obviously,” Kibum huffed, grimacing as he tried to untangle his limbs in the impossibly small space between the armchair and wall. He only ended up getting himself more stuck.

A cold hand grabbed his arm and he was on the other side of the chair in the blink of an eye, his head spinning a little with the sudden teleportation. Taemin's hand left his arm and grabbed the back of the chair instead.

“Where do you wish to move it?”

Kibum pursed his lips and crossed his arms.

“Over there.” He pointed to the spot beside Taemin's own chair and Taemin's eyes widened.

He shot Kibum an incredulous look but quickly composed himself. Giving a small nod, he disappeared only to reappear at the other side of the room, armchairs neatly placed beside each other. Taemin gave a small, self-conscious shuffle and politely motioned to the chair.

Kibum smiled softly and made his way over, making himself comfortable in the chair once more.

“Thank you,” he murmured.

Taemin sat down in his own chair and pulled his scrolls towards him, but he didn’t start reading. Instead he looked up at Kibum, gaze pondering.

“You’re welcome,” he answered, uncertain, and Kibum's smile grew.

Then Taemin frowned and with a flick of his wrist the table with books appeared beside Kibum's chair. Kibum looked up at him but he was already concentrating on work again. He smiled to himself, picked up the book he had been reading and found the dog-eared page, immersing himself in the text. He felt quite optimistic for the first time in days.

A routine was soon established.

Kibum spent his days reading or watching Taemin work, doing his best to forget the life he left behind and stay in the present. He would grab Taemin's hand occasionally and interlace their fingers, since he was doing his best to try and fall in love, and sometimes he would scoot even closer to him. The first few times Taemin had looked as if a bomb had been dropped on him, but the closer Kibum got the more he got used to it and relaxed. His thumb even began rubbing circles into Kibum's skin whenever they held hands.

The nightmares still continued, though, and they grew worse every night until he could hardly remember he was actually dreaming. He woke up in cold sweat at least three times a night, heart beating fast enough to go into cardiac arrest, and every part of him shaking so hard the entire mattress trembled as tears rolled down his cheeks and he gasped for breath, trying to reorient himself.

On one of those nights he woke up to find Taemin standing at the foot of the bed, watching him warily. He swayed where he stood, as if he wanted to approach but couldn’t bring himself to.

“You were screaming,” he said when Kibum's eyes found his. Kibum barely heard him, his chest heaving as he gulped for air. “I was afraid someone was hurting you.”

Kibum swallowed. He shook his head and pulled his legs up to his chest, trying to keep the tears pressing behind his eyes at bay.

“I’m okay,” he gasped, but his breath stuttered and a tear escaped.

He hid his face in his arms, though it was too late. He was sure Taemin had seen and he grew even surer he knew he was crying once a sob rattled through him.

“I’m s-sorry,” he hiccupped through another sob. “I’m ok-kay. Just a b-bad dream.”

He couldn’t let Taemin think he was unhappy and scared. It would destroy all the progress they had made and put him back on square one, which would be so much harder to leave if Taemin realised just how badly he was feeling at times, how much he really missed his home and how terrified he felt once his brain was allowed to evaluate all the negative feelings he kept locked away during the day in his dreams.

“I did tell you to leave, Kibum,” Taemin murmured and Kibum looked up at him. “There are many bad things in the underworld, it is no surprise it affects you this much. Negative energy overrules positive in this realm.”

Taemin turned to retreat without giving him a chance to answer and Kibum found himself scrambling across the large bed to get a hold of his wrist.

“Wait!” he cried.

Taemin turned back to him, eyes wide. Kibum's attempt to dry his tears was futile as it only left room for more. He decided there was really no point in hiding his tears anyway as another sob left him. All he cared about at the moment was not being alone. He wanted someone to comfort him and tell him he was safe, and while he was quite certain Taemin would not do those exact things, Kibum would feel better just having him in the same room.

“Don’t leave me alone,” he pleaded. “Please…”

Eyeing him uncertainly, Taemin took a cautious step back towards the bed.

“I j-just… don’t want t-to be alone,” Kibum said.

Taemin swallowed.

“Do you not understand I am one of those bad things?” he asked, voice so soft it was barely audible. “You should ask me to leave.”

Kibum shook his head and bit his lip, which tasted salty with tears.

“Please,” he whispered. “There’s no one else here.”

Pain flickered past Taemin's eyes but he allowed Kibum to pull him onto the be and sat down on the edge, turned halfway towards him. Kibum scooted back to the side of the bed he slept on and made another useless try at stopping his tears, and failing, as he slipped under the covers.

“C-can… will you… l-lay down with me?” he asked and Taemin looked at him sharply.

“I do not think it wise,” he said in a clipped tone.

“Please.” Kibum used his newfound leverage on him since it seemed impossible for Taemin to refuse when he pleaded.

Taemin looked at him blankly for a moment. Then he heaved a heavy sigh and laid down beside him, movements stiff. Kibum closed his eyes and moved closer, his back against Taemin's cold body. There was a cover between them and Taemin was laying on his back without moving, Kibum's back pressing into his side, but it was something at least. He could pretend it was Jonghyun or his parents sleeping beside him, although they would have hugged him. He sighed, trying to stifle another sob.

“I like windows,” Kibum mumbled after a long stretch of silence, once he finally had stopped crying.

Taemin shifted in surprise. He couldn’t fall back asleep so he decided to just say the first thing that came to mind instead of letting his thoughts run free.

“I never realised how much until I came here. I also like wooden floors and creamy walls, like the ones in my room,” he continued. “I like putting on the radio and sing off key and dance like no one’s watching. I like reading, too. I used to dream about making an entire room into a small library when I moved out and got my own apartment or house.”

Taemin remained silent, but Kibum heard a hitch in his breathing and turned to look up at him. His eyes were closed and his hands were clasped firmly together over his stomach. Kibum reached out and put a hand over them, light as a feather, afraid Taemin would react badly. Taemin's eyes fluttered open and he stared down at him, clearly confused.

“I like that you aren’t as evil as mythology says, and I like that you actually do care,” he whispered. “And I hate that you never felt loved or wanted or needed.”

Sorrow shone through the emotionless wall in Taemin's eyes and he gave a miniscule shrug. Kibum wiggled his hand under the his arms to hug his chest and placed his chin on his shoulder. He was cold, but it was fine. Kibum had his cover pulled around him anyway. As he began drifting off to sleep he wondered if Taemin would become warm from his body heat if he hugged him long enough.

He was alone when he woke up again, which didn’t really surprise him.

What did surprise him was the sunlight filtering through three tall, wide windows in the wall to his left. He gaped as he watched dust particles dance in the light, descending from above in slow spirals. His eyes followed them down and he realised the dark stone floor had been replaced by a dark wooden floor. His head snapped up to inspect the walls, and true enough, they were the same colour as the ones in his room at home; cream.

“What in the world?” he mumbled.

He stumbled out of bed and over to the door, hurrying down the now very familiar path to Taemin's office. His breath caught in his throat when he tumbled through the door and saw windows behind the desk, letting in the sun like the ones in his room. The floor was wooden in there as well, but the walls were a light, bluish colour, almost white.

He stood frozen to his spot; clutching the door handle so tight his fingers went numb.

“I am not certain this meets your expectations,” Taemin said behind him and Kibum jumped, turning wide eyes on him. “However, I did the most I could.”

“I-I…” Kibum stuttered. “Don’t know what to say…”

Taemin gave the smallest smile and pushed past him to get to his desk.

“You did all this?” Kibum asked, still rooted to his spot.

He nodded.

“For me?” he clarified.

There was another nod and the tips of Taemin's ears turned the faintest shade of pink. He suddenly found the papers on his desk very interesting.

“Thank you,” Kibum breathed, incredulous. “Thank you so much.”

Taemin didn’t look up at him, but Kibum could swear his small smile grew a little.

“You’re welcome,” he answered and Kibum couldn’t help the laugh that bubbled out of him.

They picked up another routine after that. Kibum stayed with Taemin in his office every day, as he had before, but now he could sometimes stare out the windows at a lush, green garden. Though he knew it was just a projected image, he wished he could go there, lie in the grass and feel the sun warm his skin. But if this were the closest he would get to the outside world for a while, he would take it.

He also picked up the habit of asking Taemin to stay with him while he slept. Of course, he still didn’t get much sleep and nightmares still plagued him, but at least he wasn’t alone and scared when he woke up. Taemin had taken up the habit of awkwardly patting his back or head until he calmed down.

After a few nights of patting, Kibum dared scoot even closer to him, grab his arms, put them around himself and he bury his face in the cold skin of his neck. Taemin was still awkward and stiff, but after that he exchanged the pats for hugs and Kibum couldn’t keep the smile away every time he saw the embarrassment on Taemin’s face the next morning.

Gradually, living with Taemin became easier, even if Kibum secretly wished he could go home sooner rather than later. There was a small grain of fear growing inside him. Maybe he never would actually do anything other with his life from now on than sit beside Taemin, day in and day out, reading, while his nights were terrorised by his own mind going against him. He never voiced this to Taemin, seeing as they were still making good progress, but he knew he hated the nights as much as he did.

Which was why, when he woke up from what had to be the millionth nightmare by now and saw Taemin's pained, scared eyes for the hundredth time, he leaned in and gave him a soft kiss. It was reassurance Kibum didn’t blame him, that he was keeping his word, and that he was still okay. He would be okay. Taemin just had to wait.

Kibum gave him a small smile as he pulled back and Taemin sought out his lips again, the arms, which were already holding Kibum tight, pulling him even closer. Kibum caressed his cheek with his fingertips, gasping when cold fingers moved up his arm and came to a rest at his neck, thumb rubbing his jaw gently. Taemin rolled them over and pulled back with a breath, his eyes bright and cheeks rosy. Kibum never thought gods had the ability to look smitten, they were supposed to be mighty and authorative, but the awe on Taemin's face was adorable. Warmth settled over him and he bit his lip not to laugh. Taemin supported his weight on an arm by Kibum's heag, watching him reverently, eyes drinking in every part of his face while his hand his hair.

Then, suddenly, Kibum saw something click inside Tamein and the hopeful light in his eyes dimmed.

“You should continue sleeping,” he murmured. “You need to rest.”

Kibum frowned but nodded. Taemin dropped back onto the mattress beside him and Kibum moving closer again, burying his face in his neck as he usually did. He wanted to ask, but he wasn’t sure how, and while he tried thinking up a way to start the conversation, he drifted off, his brain already exhausted by all the nightmares and next to no sleep.

He stirred awake again to an unsettled feeling and let out a soft, tired groan, rolling onto his other side. He frowned at the empty space beside him. Nowadays, Taemin always stayed with him until he woke up.

He closed his eyes with a deep breath, rubbing his face with his hands and then letting them fall to the bed beside his head. He tired not to feel embarrassed when memories from last night flooded back into his brain, but he couldn’t help his cheeks warming and the tugging of his lips, his skin tingling with the memory of Taemin’s fingers.

Maybe he really was starting to fall for him. He hoped so. It would make the entire thing much easier. Kibum actually quite liked his company. He’d been reserved at first, but once Taemin had started talking and showing emotion, Kibum had begun to see all the good sides there actually were to him. The ones mythology so conveniently left out to get their bad guy.

But that was just the thing.

Taemin wasn’t bad. He was smart, considerate, passionate, and yeah, he could be a little brash and awkward and he had made some mistakes, but who hadn’t? Jinki and Minho and all the other gods hadn’t always made the best decisions either. No one was ever all good or all bad, they always had a bit of everything.

He heaved a sigh and sat up heavily, ruffling his hair. Then he froze. Taemin was standing by the foot of the bed, watching him silently. He let out an involuntary squeak and scrambled backwards before breathing out a relieved but nervous chuckle.

“Jeez, how long have you been there?” he asked.

Taemin's expression remained blank and he shrugged, his eyes still intent on Kibum.

“Is something wrong?” Kibum asked when he noticed Taemin seemed different somehow. The air around him was darker than usual, which was not a good sign if Kibum ever saw any.

Taemin shrugged again and looked away. He turned towards the door and was by it in an instant.

“I have decided to bring the jar to my brother and return you to your realm,” he said as he put his hand on the handle, his back facing Kibum.

Kibum's breath stuck in his throat and something felt horribly wrong.

“O-oh?” he managed to breathe out.

Taemin glanced back at him over his shoulder, expression as blank as it had been those first days Kibum had spent with him. And it didn’t feel right. Taemin was supposed to smile now, have life in his eyes and be awkward, not cold, distant and commanding. What in the world could have happened between last night and this morning?

He opened his mouth to ask just that but was interrupted by Taemin.

“I will give you time to prepare for the journey,” was all he said before he disappeared, leaving Kibum to stare at the door helplessly.

This should be a good thing, right? He was going back to where he belonged. Back home. He was going to be free of the nightmares and he could see his family and Jonghyun again. It was what he had worked towards after all, to return home. And yes, he had started growing feelings for Taemin, but it was nothing compared to how much he wanted to be home with people and his mom’s food and music and bustling city noise.

So, why then, did it feel as if he was pulling the short end of the stick?

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Majorly un-edited! Just so you know Dx

Anyway, this is the final part of Kibum's POV! So next chapter is back to Jonghyun and what he's been up to!

Yep, I hoped you liked it!

Love you all<3

Bye~!