In which there are garden gnomes

When it's love

 

“I need to speak with you,” Kibum mumbled in Jonghyun's ear as they put away the dishes while waiting in the kitchen for Jinki and Minho to come back from their little private conversation upstairs.

“Why?” Jonghyun wondered and collected the glasses from the table to put them on the counter.

Kibum glanced over his shoulder, checking if they were alone, before sighing and moving closer.

“I know I said that you like Jinki and all that but…” he said softly and bit his lip, turning on the water to fill the sink so the plates could soak. “I’m starting to feel a bit uneasy.”

Jonghyun watched the water level slowly rise, absentmindedly rubbing the mark on his wrist. His and Minho's conversation echoed in his head and worry filled him as well.

“Did Minho say something to you too?” he asked.

Kibum shook his head, glancing behind them again.

“He told you something?”

Jonghyun nodded.

“He told me about Jinki's lost soulmate and what a true soulmate apparently is.”

Kibum frowned, putting the plates in the now water filled sink.

“Do you know anything about it?” Jonghyun asked.

“Yes." Kibum nodded, which didn’t really surprise him. He did have a lot of knowledge about the mythology stuff after all. “And it’s not very pretty, by the looks of it.”

“Yeah. Minho said it’s more of a means to survive.”

“Did he tell you it can turn you into a lost soul too?” Kibum asked and Jonghyun nodded, putting his arms around himself.

Kibum grabbed Jonghyun's wrist and turned it to reveal the mark.

“I think that’s what's happening to Jinki,” he mumbled. “He’s not completely lost, since he’s a god, but I think he’s starting to fall apart.”

“Yeah,” Jonghyun breathed, staring at the mark as well but seeing the events by the cherry tree in his mind’s eye, a strange nervousness settling in his stomach. “I think so too. I wonder how long ago he lost his soulmate.”

Their eyes met, both clearly worried.

“I hope it wasn’t too long ago,” Kibum murmured. “Who knows what happens when a god breaks apart.” He looked down at the mark again and Jonghyun followed his gaze. “I think he also might be trying to counter that pain with you.”

Jonghyun nodded, trying to ignore the small pang of dislike that comment caused in his chest. He wrinkled his nose, worried the feeling was even there to begin with. His concern for Jinki was growing way too fast and he was sure some of it had to do with the mark. But he knew if he started falling he wouldn't be able to stop, mark or no mark.

“I do too,” he mumbled, face warm. “But, uh…”

“You don’t mind?” Kibum finished for him and smiled faintly, reading his thoughts perfectly. “You’re too soft for your own good, you know? You always let people use you, especially when you know they’re hurting, even if you like to act as if you don’t.”

“I-I–,” he stammered, blushing even more. “It might also be just because of this mark. I think it is making me feel more for him and faster than I should.”

Kibum let out a short, but very amused, laugh and shook his head.

“It has nothing to do with the mark, Jjong.” Then he frowned. “Just don’t get in too deep. You might not survive.”

Jonghyun swallowed nervously, uneasiness settling over him. He saw Kibum bit his lip and gave a small smile.

“Gee, thanks,” he muttered, trying to lighten the mood from the somber air it had taken.

Kibum rolled his eyes with a snort and pulled him into a hug.

“You’re an idiot.”

Jonghyun chuckled and hugged him back.

“Says the moron.”

Kibum hummed, both of them swaying a little from side to side.

Someone cleared their throat and they broke apart to turn in the direction of the sound, coming face to face with Jinki and Minho, who were now standing in the doorway. Minho looked at them with raised eyebrows while Jinki just seemed highly amused.

“Worry not, oh godly ones. I am simply caring for my baby boy,” Kibum said solemnly with a bow.

“Kibum,” Jonghyun groaned as Jinki burst into laughter and Minho's lips quirked.

“You have done remarkably well,” Jinki chortled and Jonghyun shot him a glare. “He is very well raised.”

“Why thank you, your godliness,” Kibum said courteously, his lips twitching with laughter. “I have done everything in–”

“Okay,” Jonghyun interrupted loudly when Minho was actually starting to chuckle. Leave it to Kibum to be silly enough to make a stoic man like Minho show amusement. “I think we’ve had enough fun teasing me.”

Jinki shot him a wide grin and Jonghyun's stomach jolted, his heartbeat quickening as he remembered just what the two of them had done barely over an hour ago.

“Maybe we should go before Jonghyun turns so red he passes out,” Kibum laughed, hooking an arm around his shoulders and pulling him into motion.

As they followed Jinki and Minho, Jonghyun threw Kibum a dissatisfied frown. He returned it with a cheeky grin and Jonghyun spent the rest of the walk trying to come up with the perfect murder, trying not to blush whenever he and Jinki came too close to each other.

It didn’t take them long to find the garden again and they stepped inside through the still bent bars in the gate. It was unnaturally quiet, even the bees had stopped buzzing. However, it was a calm quiet, as if a storm had just passed and now everything was back to normal again, trying to regain its usual air. Well, almost, Jonghyun thought as he glanced at the dry and torn rosebushes to their right.

He looked back to see everyone had already made it to the back door, Minho knocking loudly on the small window. He hurried over to them and nudged Kibum in his ribs. The door opened before he managed to ask what was happening and the young woman they had found in the bushes yesterday appeared in the doorway, looking surprised at the small crowd outsude her door.

Jonghyun's mouth fell open. She looked as healthy as could be, not a trace of her condition from yesterday on her fair skin. Kibum silently put a hand under his chin and pushed his jaw up again.

“Can I help you?” she asked hesitantly, brushing a few strands of long black hair behind her ear.

“Yes,” Jinki answered with a charming smile. “May we come inside?”

She looked from one to another, a small frown on her forehead. Then she nodded and stepped aside, allowing them to enter.

“Thank you,” Jinki said gently as he passed her.

Jonghyun would never admit that he was secretly glad he had not kissed her hand in greeting like he had with his sister – or that he even ever thought the thought at all.

The young woman showed them down a bright corridor to a small living room. The only things occupying the space were a large TV, a couch for two and a small coffee table along with some potted plants in the windows. She watched them nervously as they sat down – well squeezed together – on the couch. Jonghyun was kind of relieved he was sandwiched between Kibum and Minho, Jinki sitting on Minho's other side. He wasn’t sure his heart could take being pressed up against Jinki’s side at the moment. That didn’t mean he could keep from glancing at him every few seconds, however. He hoped Minho didn’t notice.

“Miss, what is your name?” Jinki asked gently when they had made themselves comfortable, as if he was trying to keep a scared animal calm.

“Naeun,” she answered quietly, twisting uncomfortably where she stood in front of them.

“Naeun, if you would be so kind as to answer some of our questions, we would forever be grateful,” Jinki continued, smiling kindly at her. “We are searching for our brother and we believe you have associated with him.”

Naeun frowned in confusion and looked down at her right wrist. The mark, which had been there previously, was gone but Jonghyun was certain that was what she was looking for.

“Are you gods?” she asked softly instead of answering Jinki's question.

Jinki and Minho’s eyes widened in surprise before Jinki nodded hesitantly.

“Yes,” he answered. “Did Hades tell you?”

She nodded.

“Although, he said to call him Taemin.”

“Taemin,” Jinki echoed. “What more did he tell you?”

“Nothing much, except that he was looking for something extremely valuable and needed some help from me…”

Her voice died out and her eyes went out of focus. She shuddered. Jonghyun wouldn’t want to know what she was thinking since what he had seen had been horrible enough.

“I see.” A worried frown creased Jinki's forehead and Minho looked regretful, as if what he heard confirmed his earlier suspicions and he didn’t like it.

“Do you perhaps know of his location at the moment?” Minho took over the questioning.

Naeun bit her lip and shook her head.

“He always came here, saying he didn’t really have any place to live." She tilted her head in thought. "He did let something about an island slip, though. I don’t think he meant to.”

Jinki and Minho exchanged a meaningful look and stood up. Jonghyun and Kibum followed.

“Thank you very much for your assistance,” Minho said, smiling the slightest. “We will be on our way now.”

Naeun nodded and followed them as they retreated to the back door.

“Thank you for saving me,” she said as they stepped outside.

Jinki smiled at her warmly, although Jonghyun could tell it wasn’t entirely genuine, while Minho just nodded once. She closed the door with a small smile of her own and they could see her retreat through the small window.

“We need–,” Jinki began just as Jonghyun and Kibum were about to take the first step down the small stairs to the house but cut off. WIthout any sort of warning, he pushed them into the bushes to their left.

“Wha–,” was all Jonghyun managed to hiss before Jinki's hand clamped down on his mouth.

He and Minho had followed them, hiding in the bushes as well. Jonghyun tried not to blush at the half embrace he was being held in by Jinki. His arm had sneaked around his waist to keep him put tight against his chest. Jonghyun pulled his hand from his mouth to breathe easier.

“What’s happening?” Kibum whispered worriedly, glancing around. Jonghyun indignantly noted that he wasn’t in need of being shut up or held in place and began to wriggle out of Jink’s hold.

Minho silently pointed at a woman suddenly emerging from behind the cherry tree, her long, light purple dress shining faintly in the light and her curly hair moving as if it had a life of its own. She was clearly only inspecting the dried rosebushes and Jonghyun squinted at her, wondering what was so dangerous they had to hide. She seemed normal enough, except she was examining plants in someone else’s garden.

“Who’s she?” he asked as Jinki and Minho moved in front of him and Kibum.

“Medusa,” Minho answered softly.

“Medusa?” he repeated weakly. Even if he didn’t know much about Greek mythology, he knew enough to recognise that name.

“Yes,” Minho answered, his and Jinki’s eyes trained on the woman as she picked up a branch from the ground. Kibum was straining to see her better, but stopped moving around when Minho gave him a warning look. “I think it best to wait until she leaves. She is rather irritating.”

“But shouldn’t you kill her?” Jonghyun asked worriedly. She was known for turning people into stone and being vicious and evil after all. “You’re the king of gods.”

“It would not accomplish anything,” Jinki explained kindly, glancing over his shoulder at him with a small smile. “She has already been killed far too many times than she should have. It is possibly bad for her well-being.”

“Then why doesn’t she just stay dead?” he muttered. Kibum shot him a ‘shut up’ look.

Jinki snorted in amusement and put a hand to his mouth to not laugh out loud while Minho sighed deeply.

“I now genuinely believe human beings compete to prove they have no knowledge in areas they simply cannot comprehend, even if it seems they want to imply they are intelligent,” Minho said and Kibum snickered.

It took a moment for Jonghyun to realise he had basically just been called a moron. He crossed his arms with a frown and glared at the back of Minho's head. Jinki chuckled, reaching out to ruffle his hair affectionately, which in turn made Jonghyun blush instead.

“She is not as bad as some would think,” Jinki said. “Her moods change quite rapidly, however, which makes her difficult to handle, especially if she is in an unpredictable mind-set.”

Jonghyun gave him a disbelieving frown but decided to let it be.

“I know you are hiding in the hydrangeas,” Medusa suddenly called.

Both Jonghyun and Kibum froze, but Minho only let out a heavy sigh. Jinki stood up with a sheepish smile, scratching the back of his head bashfully.

“Medusa,” he greeted good-naturedly and Minho stood up to do the same, although a bit more sullen. “What a surprise!”

She raised her eyebrows at him sceptically, crossing her arms.

“I know you have your two human friends there as well.”

Jonghyun gave Kibum an alarmed look, which he mirrored. He had absolutely no desire to turn into stone by greeting her, even if she was ‘not as bad as some would think’. Jinki must have read his mind because he looked at them over his shoulder with a reassuring smile.

“You have nothing to fear,” he said. “She will not turn you to stone.”

When they still looked afraid he added:

“She can control it.”

They exchanged another worried glance but stood up hesitantly, still keeping themselves half-hidden behind Jinki and Minho.

“What brings you here on such a lovely day as this?” Jinki asked, turning back to Medusa.

Medusa’s eyes narrowed in distrust.

“I came to assess the damage done and take care of some business courtesy of you, Poseidon. I should also like to inform you, Apate is recovering. Slowly.”

Minho let out another sigh while Jinki just looked embarrassed. He glanced back at Jonghyun who frowned at him. Well, he had kind of made a mess.

“She triggered an inevitable situation,” Minho said grumpily.

“Hm,” Medusa hummed suspiciously and took a step closer to look behind him.

Even if Jonghyun didn’t dare look at her, he felt her eyes sweep over him calculatingly and shrank back, wondering if she would try to attack him as well. Jinki and Minho seemed quite calm, however. Compared to last time.

“Poseidon,” Medusa suddenly snapped, making Jonghyun and Kibum jump and Jinki twitch guiltily.

Minho rubbed his forehead, looking exhausted by just her voice. Jonghyun wasn’t sure gods should be exhausted, but didn't have time to muse over it as his attention was brought back to Medusa as she spoke again.

“I do not appreciate the position you put me in by being weak and selfish,” she hissed venomously.

“Believe me, I know,” Jinki mumbled grumpily

 Jonghyun and Kibum shared a curious look.

“You know nothing will come of this. I do not see the need for your behaviour!” she continued in irritation.

Jinki's shoulders tensed and a furious growl escaped him. It sounded pained to Jonghyun's ears, though. His fingers itched to reach out and grab Jinki's hand to give it a reassuring squeeze. An irrational need to tell Jinki that whatever Medusa was accusing him of was not true and he shouldn’t feel bad welled up inside him.

“Yes, but what will you have me do then?!” Jinki snapped back, making the ground rumble in his anger. “My position is not something to be desired either!”

She growled back at him angrily, but Minho intercepted the fight by grabbing a tight hold of Jinki’s upper arm. Jinki flinched and grimaced guiltily before closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. The rumbling faded to a stop and he opened his eyes to glare at Medusa again. She returned it with a brief scathing glance of her own. Then she turned around with an indignant sniff and stalked away furiously. She disappeared through the gate and down the street without as much as a glance backwards, her stature straight and proud.

They all stared after her in silence, Jonghyun wondering what the hell was going on. It didn’t seem like Hades – or Taemin or whatever his name now was – was the only problem anymore.

Jinki shook himself after a moment, as if getting rid of an annoying thought, before suddenly asking no one in particular;

“Do you know how to operate a ship?”

Jongyun and Kibum gaped at him as he turned around with a forced smile expression. Minho looked at him sceptically for a moment, shaking his head.

“A ship?!” Jonghyun asked, voice dripping with disbelief.

“If by ship you mean a small rowboat, then yes,” Kibum answered.

Minho frowned at him.

“No, we are in need of a ship to take us to an island south of this land.”

“Well, we don’t…” Kibum said.

Jinki smiled at him, although it was still forced, before turning to the gate.

“Worry not,” he sounded cheerful enough, but somehow Jonghyun could sense his discomfort. The air around him was stiff with fear and his hands twitched as if they wanted to clench but he forced himself not to. “We will find a solution.”

Jonghyun wasn’t sure, but he thought he heard a crack in Jinki's voice and very nearly reached out to him. But he changed his mind when Jinki started towards the gate, Minho easily falling into step beside him while muttering something neither Jonghyun nor Kibum could hear. They gave each other another worried glance before hurrying after them.

A small, grey blotch on the green grass caught Jonghyun's attention and he stopped, frowning at what seemed to be two small garden gnomes of stone sitting just beside the bushes. He didn’t remember them being there last time. He was sure he would have, because they looked strangely eerie with their forever snarling faces, their pulled back lips revealing sharp stone teeth, and their long claws reaching for something invisible. There was also some charred grass around them, looking like a weird imprint from the burning of a large bird.

He wondered just what business Medusa had taken care of and he turned away with a shiver, hurrying after Kibum who was waiting for him at the gate.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I seriously don't know if this is good or not OTL It became quite long and I'm tired so I'm just gonna leave this here and hope you like it...

Also, to those of you wondering, I picture Sooyoung as Apate and Krystal as Medusa... don't ask me why 'cause I seriously don't know x__x If there is someone else you're wondering about just let me know and I'll answer xP

Love to you all <3

Bye~!