The adventures of Kim Kibum: Part 3

When it's love

Kibum stared up at the dark ceiling as he lay in bed; his limbs sprawled every which way and his body pressing into the mattress heavily. He hadn’t moved for hours, maybe even days for all he knew. He still had no idea how to tell time. He’d dozed off a few times, but mostly he had just stared and stared and stared at the darkness above him.

It wasn’t fair. How had it turned out this way? Was he being punished for something? He would have liked to blame Taemin for everything, but that wouldn’t really be fair either, seeing as he couldn’t control whom he fell in love with.

What he could have controlled, however, was trying to not commit suicide and put Kibum in this situation.

Because, as much as Kibum had re-evaluated his view on Taemin – aka Hades, god of the underworld – he still had no desire whatsoever to stay. Sure, there was more to Taemin than anyone had ever given him credit for, but he didn’t want the kind of life staying with him in this realm would entail. He had so much to do, places to see, stuff to learn, and he couldn’t do that if he was stuck here. He knew Taemin's wife had had the freedom to leave while they were together, but seeing as Kibum didn’t exactly know how Pandora’s jar worked, there was a chance he might not even be allowed to leave Taemin's side at all if he wanted it to stay sealed.

And what angered him beyond belief was that Taemin had apparently expected nothing other of him than to leave when preparations had been made. As if Kibum didn’t have a care that he was killing an entire realm of beings, which hadn’t really harmed anyone, by doing so. Taemin had simply expected him to be a murderer and that did not sit well with him at all.

There was a rustle of air and he assumed his daily (was it daily?) meal had arrived. It was weird, since the servant usually just knocked before opening the door, so Kibum raised his head to ask about the lack of privacy.

But instead of seeing the usual veiled shadow of a creature that had become his personal food servant, he saw Taemin stand at the foot of the bed. Kibum's questioning eyes transformed into an angry glare and he turned his head away petulantly. Taemin sighed and put down the plate of food on the bed.

“If everything goes accordingly, you should be allowed to leave shortly,” he murmured.

It was as if he had splashed a bucket of cold water over Kibum and he gasped. He sat up and turned around so fast the plate of food on the bed wobbled.

“No,” he growled.

Taemin stared at him blankly, which made Kibum even angrier.

How dared he?! Kibum was contemplating a decision that would change his entire life, and this stubborn, self-righteous god thought he could just waltz in, tell him all the information he had so conveniently thought he’d keep to himself, and then expect him to be completely fine with knowing he would be a killer!

“ you,” he hissed. “How do you think it feels to know I have to stay here to keep you from dying?”

A miniscule frown formed between Taemin's eyebrows.

“I have told you, you may leave–”

“You don’t get it, do you?!” Kibum yelled. “I can’t leave knowing it will open Pandora’s jar!”

Taemin sighed once more and Kibum was so very close to throttling him. Not that he would have succeeded in any way, shape, or form, but it was the thought that counted.

“This is the reason I refrained from telling you the truth,” Taemin grumbled.

“Because it would have made me feel so much better knowing it afterwards!” Kibum hissed.

Taemin didn’t answer, but he didn’t look at him either.

“As much as I want to, I’m not leaving,” Kibum snarled. “I’m not a murderer!”

Taemin was still silent, staring at the floor. Then he finally looked at Kibum, face and eyes carefully void of emotion.

“The one who does not understand is you, Kibum,” he said quietly. “Yes, leaving this realm will open the jar, however, staying will not prevent it either.”

Kibum frowned.

“What?”

“It will certainly take longer for it to open fully if you choose to remain here, though you will not help by simply staying against your will,” Taemin continued and swallowed harshly, once again averting his eyes. “For you to stop impending tragedy, you would have to become well and truly mine.”

Kibum blinked. He opened his mouth but found nothing to say. That changed things. That changed a lot of things.

“I promise you, I never intended to force you into anything, which is why it would be best for you to leave,” Taemin murmured.

Then he backed away, his head hung low and shoulders tense.

“I wish you a good life,” he mumbled. “I will not come see you again.”

“Wait!” Kibum said but was too late as he disappeared.

Taemin never intended to force him into anything? Well, he was kind of forcing him now, wasn’t he? He couldn’t expect Kibum to just be okay with leaving him to his death, and he clearly did not expect Kibum to stay and be his.

The earlier anger returned. Kibum scoffed and crossed his arms, glaring at the spot Taemin had disappeared from. He considred storming out of his room and smack some sense into Taemin, but thought better of it. He sighed and his shoulders slumped, his arms falling to his sides.

What was he supposed to do? He couldn’t leave, he couldn’t stay, and he couldn’t be Taemin's. What choice did that leave him? Nothing, that’s what.

Kibum swallowed and flopped down on the bed again, going back to staring at the ceiling.

Maybe he could try, he thought listlessly. Taemin was intriguing to say the least and with enough time, feelings could develop if he allowed them to. And if Taemin let him stay and take his time in the relationship. It wasn’t ideal, but it was the closest he could come to a decision that wouldn’t feel like a terrible mistake at the moment. Once he had made sure Taemin didn’t want to kill himself and the entire underworld anymore, once he was stable, maybe the Kibum could return to the human realm once in a while.

He heaved a heavy sigh, squeezing his eyes shut.

Would that work? He hoped so. It was worth a try at least, although the thought of not seeing the people he loved for… he didn’t know how long, left him feeling empty. Since Jonghyun was Jinki's soulmate maybe he could come visit? That would make things a little easier.

In the middle of all his musings, he dozed off, too emotionally drained to keep his eyes open. It was a fitful sleep and he woke with a start several times, expecting to be back home and everything to just be a really weird dream. He got a lump in his throat every time he realised he never, truly would be back home again.

It nearly broke his resolve when he woke up gasping for the eighth time and expected to see sun coming through the window in his bedroom only to be met by the faint, flickering light of candles.

He couldn’t fall back asleep after that. Instead he thought his decision through for the hundredth time. It was futile since it didn’t lead him down any other path than the one he was currently planning to take. So instead of dwelling on it and feeling miserable, he got out of bed to go find Taemin, his mind made up.

Only, he was nowhere to be found.

His office was empty as were all the other rooms. Not even the usual creatures wandering the halls were present and it was eerily calm, as if a storm was about to hit the place.

Kibum dared to explore a little further, but only found room upon room without any contents. His heart clenched painfully at all the dark, walls and blank, unoccupied floors. Did Taemin really have absolutely nothing? During all his existence, and the only room with anything worthwhile was his office in this large palace.

He gave up after what felt like forever of long corridors and empty rooms and made his way back to his room, mood lower than ever but resolve strengthening. If Taemin didn’t want to talk willingly, Kibum would just have to force him.

“Taemin,” he said loudly as he sat down on the edge of the bed, trying the much more direct approach. He was certain he could hear him from wherever he was hiding. “Stop running away. I want to talk to you!”

There was no answer or rustle of air to indicate Taemin had listened and he huffed.

“I want to go home now!” he called into the air.

He waited for a few moments; the only sound in the room his shaky, nervous breaths. He just about gave up when Taemin finally, finally appeared right in front of him; face as carefully blank as ever. Kibum was beginning to think it was Taemin's way of protecting himself from pain, rather than him just being apathetic and indifferent all the time, which was what mythology liked to call it.

“Let us leave,” was the only thing he said.

“Right,” Kibum said sheepishly. “I lied.”

An annoyed dent appeared between Taemin’s eyebrows and he tensed. His eyes were clearly asking what the hell Kibum was doing but his mouth was pressed into a thin line.

“Uhm…” Kibum cleared his throat, trying to ignore his trembling hands. How was he supposed to say this?

He was quiet for so long Taemin raised his eyebrows and began turning to leave.

“Wait!” Kibum called, jumping up and grabbing his arm. “I-if… if I… stay… with you… the way you want… Pandora’s jar won’t open, right?”

Taemin looked at him emotionlessly, his black eyes so dark Kibum thought he would be into them like into a black hole. He didn’t say anything but he didn’t have to. Kibum already knew the answer.

So he took a deep breath, silently sending an apology to his parents, who he wouldn’t see again for a while, if ever, as he finalised his decision.

“Okay,” he whispered, pulling Taemin back and onto the bed. God, this was the scariest thing he had ever done.

Taemin let himself be pulled down, sitting on the edge of the bed, still staring at Kibum blankly. Then he leaned in, forcing Kibum to lie back on the bed as he supported himself on both arms, his hands digging into the mattress just above Kibum's shoulders. Kibum didn’t really know what Taemin was looking for as he gazed at him, but he met his eyes steadily, refusing to look away even when his cheeks began getting warm under the searching stare moving across his face.

Taemin's eyes fell to the colour spreading over his cheekbones and he it reverently with a cold thumb.

“You are beautiful,” he murmured, leaning in even further, his cool breath ghosting over Kibum's lips.

Kibum wanted to laugh and tell him he was nothing compared to him but didn’t get the chance as Taemin erased what little space was left between their lips and kissed him. He lay motionlessly, letting Taemin tilt his head up a little to kiss him deeper. He wasn’t sure what to do that wouldn’t offend Taemin but he raised his hands to grab onto his shoulders. Though, he didn’t know if it was to push him away or just to have something to ground him as he hesitantly kissed back, trying to come to terms with this being his life from now on. He would stay with this broken god and try to fix him in order for him to be free again without having to kill anyone.

One of Taemin's hands came down to grab his and pin it to the bed above his head, his finger tracing a tingly pattern on the inside of it. Kibum gasped when the tingles grew into burning, but Taemin muffled his surprised noise with his lips.

When Taemin pulled back his expression was unreadable, but for a moment Kibum thought he saw a spark in his eyes and his heart skipped a beat. Then they closed off again. He picked up watching Kibum's flushed face and wide eyes until Kibum had to close them from the helplessness filling him at the sight of Taemin's ever so emotionless eyes. It would take a lot of time for him to be able to leave.

“You should rest,” was the only thing Taemin murmured and abruptly stood up.

Kibum barely managed to catch a glimpse of him before he disappeared and he let out a deep, shaky sigh, reaching up to touch his lips. Then his eyes caught the little black mark Taemin had left on the inside of his wrist and he suddenly felt like he had sold his soul, his heart stuttering and his breath hitching as a lump formed in his throat.

He had no idea how he was going to get through this. He was not in love with Taemin and he wasn’t sure he would ever be, but if staying with him and being his meant the jar would be safely shut and that he wouldn’t be a murderer, he would do it. He was just sad he hadn’t had the chance to say goodbye to anyone.

Tears sprang to his eyes as he thought of his parents, Jonghyun and all his other friends and a sob escaped him.

He had made a decision and he was going to stick with it, but that didn’t stop him from mourning the loss of the life he had known. He crept under the covers and let his tears run freely, sobs rattling his body. It was better to just get it out and then move on, there wasn’t much else he could do at the moment.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I don't know where this burst of inspiration came from, but have another chapter! :) Also, I misjudged and Kibum's story will have another chapter before the main story comes back, sorry :/

Anyway, I promise everything will work out with everyone! Don't worry! It might seem sad and hopeless now, but just you wait! I'll make it work ;D

I hope you liked this chapter!

Love <3

Bye~