In which the end is another beginning (also known as the epilogue)

When it's love

Jonghyun blinked his eyes open slowly, squinting at the vast blue sky above him. It was a nice, pale shade, as if the sun were about to set and soon paint it red and orange.

The last thing he remembered was lying in a hospital bed, surrounded by his wife, three children and seven grandchildren. He had told them not to cry, that he felt fine. A strange calm had swept over him, and somehow he knew he was going somewhere he truly belonged. How he knew he had no idea, but it was resonating with him to his core.

He had no regrets. He had lived his life to the fullest and was at peace with himself. He really couldn’t ask for more than to now fall into an eternal slumber.

Which was why he felt utterly confused as he sat up and looked around. He found himself in a beautiful, strangely familiar garden unlike any he had ever seen. It seemed ethereal even. The sweet scent of flowers filled the air and what sounded like the trickle of a fountain flowed to him on a soft breeze, accompanied by the gentle hum of bees.

He looked down at himself and realised he wore something he remembered seeing Greek gods wear in the pictures depicted in mythology books. He faltered a little as his eyes fell upon his arms and hands.

They didn’t look old and wrinkly. Instead they were as smooth and strong as they had been years and years ago, when he had been in his late teens.

Jonghyun scrambled to his feet and located the fountain. He ran up to it and stared at his reflection. What met him was the white-blonde hair and sparkly brown eyes of his youth.

Staring incredulously at the mirage, he raised a tentative hand to touch his face, the reflection doing the same.

It hit him then. A realisation so big it made him gasp for air and stagger backwards.

He knew where he was.

And he knew why.

This was what he had waited for, albeit unconsciously, for his entire life. Ever since he was nineteen.

Jonghyun's body and nerves buzzed with the need to go find the one he had longed for. The one his body and soul had missed so fiercely without him knowing. It slammed back into him now with so much force he was actually hurting. It was a good pain though. A happy ache that told him soon he would be rewarded for having waited patiently his entire life.

He turned around, searching. However, he was all alone, and his heart sank. Was he in the right place?

Before he had the time to panic, a noise made him look up.

“Jonghyun!” came a shout from his right and he turned around, eyes falling upon a blinding smile as joyful laughter filled the air.

Then he was there. He gathered Jonghyun in his arms and lifted him up, hugging him so tightly Jonghyun would have suffocated had he not already been freed of his mortal body.

“Jinki,” Jonghyun breathed into his ear, his arms winding around his shoulders to squeeze back.

Jinki buried his face in the crook of Jonghyun's neck and breathed in deeply, his breath stuttering.

“I find it hard to believe you are here,” he murmured. “We were unsure it would succeed.”

Jinki put him down on the ground again so they could look at each other, grins splitting their faces. Jinki's fingers trailed the features of Jonghyun's face, moving into his hair, cupping his cheeks. He stared at him as if he couldn’t believe his eyes. And Jonghyun knew the feeling. He was experiencing it himself. His hands still on Jinki's shoulders caressed down to his arms and he was almost afraid to blink in fear of him disappearing.

“How?” Jonghyun managed to croak out. “How am I here? And I remember.”

It hardly seemed possible for Jinki's smile to widen, but it did and he looked about to burst with happiness.

“It was much simpler than one would expect,” Jinki laughed. “We spent years looking, though in all the wrong places.”

“What do you mean?” Jonghyun asked.

Jinki laughed again, a bubbly happy sound.

“We simply needed to speak to the three fates,” he answered. “It was so simple and glaringly obvious it never even crossed our minds.”

Jonghyun frowned.

“I don’t understand.”

“You see, the three fates take care of every human life and they know,” Jinki explained. “They know precisely how, when and where a human life will end and where their souls will be designated.”

“Oh,” Jonghyun murmured.

“And the strangest thing was,” Jinki continued. “You would always end up here. Once your life cycle had been fulfilled, you would have come to me, no matter where I had been.” Jinki's hands landed on Jonghyun's hips to pull him closer again and press their foreheads together. “Because I am your soulmate and you are mine.”

Jonghyun thought he would burst with happiness and love and he tilted his head up to kiss Jinki full on the lips. Jinki let out a pleased hum and Jonghyun felt him smile into the kiss.

“Come,” Jinki breathed against his lips and grabbed his hand.

Jonghyun found himself pulled through the bushes around them, past the fountain, and to a grand building he had never seen before. It was the largest temple he had ever laid eyes on. It could most likely house thousands of people in rooms big as apartments. Jinki led him through the gate and down one of many hallways disappearing deep into the temple, until they arrived in a great hall with long tables upon long tables overflown with food and fruit and drinks.

At the other end of the room, by large valves which most likely served as windows looking out at a lush, emerald green valley, stood two figures. The closer they got the faster Jonghyun realised it was Kibum and Taemin and his heart skipped a beat.

“Kibum!” he yelled happily and Kibum spun around, eyes wide and smile breaking out on his face.

“Jonghyun!” he yelled back with enthusiasm and ran up to him, catching him in a tight hug. “It’s been so long!”

“I know,” Jonghyun said. “I didn’t remember you were here or what happened to you until just now. My entire life I thought you were in a car accident.”

Kibum wrinkled his nose guiltily.

“Yeah, I kind of asked Jinki to not make you forget me completely,” he admitted. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Jonghyun assured and glanced over his shoulder at Taemin. “Did everything work out?”

Taemin actually gave him a soft smile and Jonghyun gaped at him, which made Kibum snort and Jinki chuckle.

“Yes,” Taemin answered. “I never had the opportunity to thank you personally for what you did.”

Jonghyun shrugged, suddenly feeling a little shy.

“Brother!” came a loud, familiar voice from the entrance of the room and Jonghyun jumped. “Have you seen Poseidon? He left me very abruptly while we–”

Minho cut off when he noticed Jonghyun and Jinki. He let out an incredulous sound, half laugh, half gasp and hurried the remaining steps up to them.

“It worked!” he exclaimed and grabbed Jonghyun's shoulders as if to be sure, looking him over. “It seems silly to mistrust the fates, however I still worried.”

Jonghyun grinned up at him.

“Well, I’m glad you care.”

Minho simply chuckled and gave his shoulder a pat, turning to Jinki.

“Have you showed him your rooms?” he asked.

Jinki perked up a little and he practically vibrated with excitement.

“I have yet to tell him,” he said and turned to Jonghyun, grabbing his hand once more. “Follow me.”

Jonghyun managed a small wave at Kibum, Taemin and Minho and they were followed by soft laughs as Jinki once more pulled him along, out the hall and down another of the many hallways. Jonghyun made a mental note to not wander around alone lest he wished to lose himself in the seemingly endless labyrinth of hallways.

“These are all our rooms,” Jinki explained and waved a hand at all the doors they passed once they had turned their third corner and arrived in yet another hallway.

Jonghyun gaped at his back.

“Really?” he asked incredulously. “Why do we need so many?”

Jinki glanced over his shoulder with a grin and shrugged.

“It is customary,” he answered and brought them to a stop at a large, wooden door. He squeezed Jonghyun's hand and Jonghyun looked up at him.

Jinki's eyes were full of fond tenderness and Jonghyun's heart clenched. Then Jinki reached out and pushed the door open, motioning for him to enter. Jonghyun sent him a small smile and did as asked.

The room was big enough to be a three-room apartment. There was a large bed to one side of the room, reminding him of a distant memory of the time Jinki and he had shared a room in a tree, all those years ago. It was bigger than that bed, which seemed impossible, but Jonghyun decided not to question it too much. In on corner of the room were an enormous pile of large pillows, most likely intended for leisurely resting, and Jonghyun could barely resist running over and throwing himself onto them. Along one wall stood a long table, overflowing with food and fruit and decorative flowers, and the wall across from it had large, high arcs, from floor to ceiling leading to a terrace. Jonghyun assumed them to be windows, though they had no glass, and he could hear the faint sounds of waves through them.

“Is it to your liking?” Jinki murmured and Jonghyun spun around.

He hadn’t noticed he’d made it to the middle of the room during his inspection and he blinked a little.

“Yes,” he breathed. “Of course. I’d be happy with a broom closet as long as you were there to share it with me.”

The smile spreading on Jinki's lips was blinding and he was in front of Jonghyun in seconds, cupping his face to pull him into a kiss.

“I missed you,” Jinki whispered against his lips.

Jonghyun smiled as he kissed him back, grabbing the front of his shirt to pull him towards the bed.

And at long last, the two halves of one soul were at peace. And they would be, for the rest of eternity.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So, this is the end! And as I promised, it was a happy one :)

As it was stated, if Jonghyun had had the chance to live his full life cycle before, his soul would have always ended up wherever Jinki was since they were bound toghether from the very beginning. The reason he is nineteen again is because that was when he and Jinki met for the first time in this life time and he was marked by him. Had Jonghyun been a kid when Jinki had marked him, he would have come to him as a kid and the same if he had been older.

Also, after Jonghyun woke up, he had a weird, newfound fascination for Greek mythology and asked if he could have Kibum's old books once Kibum's parents cleaned out Kibum's room adter his funeral.

And about Taemin; he had it very hard in the beginning, no one wanted to even talk to him except Kibum and his brothers. He persisted though, and stayed in the realm of gods to be with Kibum. They live there together now in Taemin's rooms, which he hadn't really used up until moving back to the temple. He and kibum grew very close, since Kibum was always the one there for him when things became really hard and encouraged him to stay when he felt like giving up and escaping back to the realm of the un-dead. The other gods accepted him eventually and soon forgave him, since none of them are actually flawless, which Kibum, Jinki, and Minho continuously reminded them.

And that's it! The happy ending for everyone!

Thank you all for sticking with this story! It has been a pleasure to have you as readers!

Love <3

Bye~!