In which it all begins (also known as the prologue)

When it's love

 

The warm breeze ruffled Jonghyun's hair softly, the fountain in the small pond in the backyard murmured gently and the shadows of the willows's branches danced across his face. He let out a soft sigh, adjusting his position in the grass and trying to keep the book he had long since given up on reading from falling off his stomach.

He had just finished high school three days ago, the university he had applied to had accepted him and at the moment he didn’t have a care in the world. Except for trying not to get sunburnt.

He sighed again and stretched his arm out above him, squinting up at his hand. His ears picked up the sound of his mother scrambling around in the kitchen coming through the open back door in their small two stories high, suburban house. She was trying to cook a quick lunch before she had to leave for her job. His younger sister’s music flowed out the open window on the second floor, adding to the noise.

Something wet pressed against his left cheek and Jonghyun wrinkled his nose. He turned his head towards the disturbance only to get in the face after being greeted by a happy ‘woof!’.

“Roo,” Jonghyun groaned. “No, not nice.”

He picked up the small pup and placed her on top of the book on his stomach, laughing slightly at her wagging tail and hanging tongue.

“Jonghyun,” his mother called, opening the kitchen window. “Did you take her for a walk yet?”

“No,” he called back, closing his eyes again as Roo made herself comfortable on his chest.

“Do it after lunch, then!” she called again. “And clean up the mess you made in the living room! I have the night shift at the emergency room and your dad won’t be home until tomorrow, so keep it tidy!”

“Okay,” he sighed, although his mother couldn’t hear it. He continued to leisurely lie in the grass, feeling the summer freedom in every fibre of his body as he thought about what he should do about dinner for his thirteen-year-old sister and himself. Pizza sounded like a good idea. And TV. Yeah, that was good. He would have to clean the living room anyway.

Something other than the leaves on the branches suddenly cast a shadow across his face. Jonghyun blinked his eyes open, barely managing to catch a glimpse of what seemed to be a small ball of light fall towards their back yard. He sat up quickly, Roo tumbling into his lap with a small whine, and watched with wide eyes as the ball of light fell straight down into their mini-pond without as much as a sound, no other disturbance on the water's surface except the fountain sprinkles.

He scrambled to his feet and hurried over, Roo following with an excited bark. She bounced into him as he knelt down at the edge of the pond and looked down at the bottom.

There was nothing there.

He frowned. He was sure he had seen the light fall right down where he was now looking, but however much he searched he couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary except maybe his own reflection of his blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes and Roo’s brown, furry face. He squinted to see better but only got the reflection of his grimacing face staring back up at him. Giving up, he started to turn away.

Just as he turned his head, he caught sight of what seemed to be a pair of amber coloured eyes staring up at him. He quickly looked back, but again all he could see was himself. He stared at his incredulous reflection for a moment, sure he had seen another pair of eyes. Then he realised how insane it sounded and blamed it on the sun, which he had been lying under for hours.

“Lunch’s ready!” his mother called and he got to his feet, picking Roo up and making his way inside after giving the pond one last suspicious glance.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Yeah, I know this is short and not much of a chapter, but it's the prologue and since it was done I thought I might as well post it xD

I hope you liked it anyway! The updates won't be regular, I tend to update frequently when I have a lot of inspiration and slowly when I have absolutely none, so yeah...

Thanks for the subscriptions and upvotes and comments on the foreword! :) It made me really happy!

LOVE!! <3

Bye~!