Chapter One

Mistaken for a Girl [HIATUS]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter One

It had been a hectic day for Lu Han. 

If someone had told him four months ago that he was going to end up being Minseok's best man, event organizer, and wedding planner all in one, Lu Han would've definitely hesitated before setting up that cursed blind date for his best friend and his soon-to-be wife. Lu Han hadn't gotten a of sleep this past week because he had been running frantically all over the place to help Minseok design the cake, pick a suit, and decorate the clearing in the middle of the dense forest that Minseok and Ha Ni had chosen as the place to get married. It was a small wedding, but with so few hands involved in the planning and no money to spare, Lu Han's shoulders were weighed down with burden. 

Tightening his tie around his neck, Lu Han observed his reflection in the mirror as he stood in the dim-lit back room of the small church that had been rented out for the ceremony. He in a breath as he traced a finger lightly over his dark eye bags and then ran his hand over the stubble that had grown in spurts across his chin. 

"Damn, Luhan, you're not looking too hot," he spoke aloud to his reflection. While his black suit was well-fitted to his body and his honey-colored hair was combed neatly into a middle part, Lu Han wasn't exactly feeling up to his game at the moment. He heard a faint chuckle behind him, and turned his head around to see Minseok leaning against the doorway, his attire prim and proper, fitting for a groom. 

"Talking to yourself again?" he asked with amusement, trudging over to stand behind Lu Han.

Lu Han clucked his tongue and faked a sorrowful sigh. "Once you and Ha Ni get married, I'll be all alone while my best friend goes gallanting off with his princess into the sunset. I have to get used to talking to myself, don't you think?" 

Minseok punched him lightly in the arm. "Lu Han, you're such a drama queen. Whose fault is it that I met her?"

"Woah, are you trying to say you don't want to get married now?" 

Instead of answering, the other man shifted on his feet uneasily.

Much to Lu Han's surprise, Minseok sighed. He adjusted his white dress shirt more comfortably around himself and pulled out a black ring box from his pocket. The atmosphere in the room had suddenly gotten much more somber, and Lu Han waited for a response as he watched his best friend pull out a small-cut diamond ring from the box and observe it. 

"Of course I want to get married. I love her," Minseok said affirmatively, but Lu Han had a feeling he wasn't done. 

A brief silence transpired before Minseok sighed again and replaced the ring back in its box. "But I wish things had happened differently. I should've properly dated her, introduced her to my parents, and waited for things to occur along its natural course. I think we were just too fast, and I don't know if I'm ready." 

Lu Han patted his friend's shoulder in sympathy. "I'm sorry about that." 

Minseok frowned. "Why are you sorry? It's not your fault that what happened happened. I can only thank you for bringing the most wonderful person into my life, and whether or not we're prepared for what's about to come is not under our control. I'll just take things as they come. Thank you, Lu Han, for being by my side. I owe you a lot." 

Lu Han's heart softened to hear the words come out of his friend's mouth, and he returned an understanding smile. Even though Minseok was trying his best to look cheerful and optimistic, Lu Han could evidently see the exhaustion and gloominess behind the other's facade, outlined in his pale cheeks and hanging eye bags. If Lu Han had been stressed because of the wedding, then Minseok was suffering ten times as much. Taunts from his unsupportive family and an impending baby carriage on the horizon were definitely not an easy combo to handle. 

Not to mention Minseok was only twenty-four. Young, fresh out of college, and desperately in need of a stable income.

Lu Han knew that Minseok was still coming to terms with the fact that he was going to be a father soon. Even in their conversation, the guy struggled not to say anything with the connotation of "baby", and deftly skirted the topic whenever Lu Han would bring it up. In fact, Lu Han only discovered this fact about a month ago, because Minseok had been so hell-bent on hiding it from everybody that not even a government spy could've found out. Lu Han had been suspicious of him from the beginning, because after only three months of dating the girl that he was enamored with, Minseok had suddenly popped the question and surprised his best friend and his family, who hadn't even met the girl yet, with the news of a wedding. Not to mention that the girl was also pregnant, much to both families' dismay.

Minseok's parents had immediately declined the wedding invitation - saying that they would never accept such a disgraceful woman in the family - and refused to help their son with financial aid. Ha Ni's parents were in the States, and they weren't too happy with their daughter either. 

Minseok was all on his own. He now had not only himself to care and pay for, but also a wife and a baby in her stomach. 

Lu Han felt bad for the both of them. Perhaps it had been their mistake to have a child so early, but Lu Han knew that they were truly committed to each other both then and now. He had known Minseok for a long time, long before he came to Korea two years ago, and never before had the guy taken that much interest in a girl, let alone  be devoted enough to defy his own parents and elope. 

But the one thing that was impressive was that Minseok never complained. Until today, he had never shown a beat of hesitance in his devotion to Ha Ni, despite having to go through hardships and betrayals from his own family. Never before had Lu Han been so proud of his best friend for such strong dedication, even though he continually felt bad to see Minseok in such a state of crisis. At least the Chinese boy had been successful in bringing the couple together - whatever happened as a result was their own doing - and he had no doubt that they would last a very long time. After all, Lu Han had never gone wrong playing Cupid. 

Giving Minseok his best reassuring smile, Lu Han brushed off the other's shoulders with his hands and looked him in the eye. "Be confident today, okay? Show Ha Ni that you deserve to be her husband. She's just as scared as you are, maybe even more. Don't think about anything but her, at least for today. I'm sure she'll look beautiful." 

A blissful look crossed Minseok's features before he returned a small smile. "Thank you, Lu Han. Really. I don't know where I'd be without your help." 

Lu Han waved his hand in a nonchalant gesture. "You know me, Minseok. I'll always be here when you need me. I promise." 

Little did Lu Han know...he probably shouldn't have said that.

Please log in to read the full chapter