Misunderstanding

Try

Amber’s POV

I can’t focus. Every time I try to pay attention to what the teacher is saying, my mind wanders of and start thinking about her. Her face keeps popping up in my mind and I keep hearing her voice. She’s driving me crazy.

“Amber! What’s the answer to number fifteen?” The teacher’s screeching voice snapped me out of my daze. “Huh? Uh, is it twenty four?” I rubbed the back of my neck nervously. Everybody started laughing at my answer. I guess I got it wrong.

“I guess the answer would be right…if we were in math class Ms. Amber.” My teacher said sarcastically. “But we are not, this is history class. Pay attention.” I bowed to the teacher apologetically. Man, I should really stop thinking about her. The class goes on for twenty more minutes, before the bell ring signaling the end of class. I pack all of my things and put it in my book bag before swinging it around my shoulder. I walk out the class and start heading to the lunchroom because I finally have lunch with all my friends.

I enter the lunchroom and see that it’s crowded with students. However, my eyes can’t help but to search for her. Before I could find her, Henry who came up from behind me, swings his arm around my shoulders and guides me to the table where the gang was sitting. My stomach was grumbling really loud but I don’t feel like standing in line for food. I’ll just wait until I get home.

“So Amber, the answer to *at the end of World War II, how was Korea divided* is twenty four?” Luna asked me and I can tell she was trying to hold her laughter in, just like everybody else at the table. I shot them a playful glare and tried to think of a witty remark. “Like you have room to talk. Who was the one that failed that open-book test?” That shut her up. Everybody else burst out laughing while Luna was too busy hiding her embarrassment. “Just kidding Luna. I still love you.” I made a heart with my hands and winked at her.

“Sulli told me that we have a new student this year.” Victoria said while digging at her salad. She was always the healthy one in our group. Victoria’s statement immediately captured my attention.

“Uh, I’m pretty sure there’s like forty new students this year Vic. So, you might want to be a little more specific.” Onew said. Victoria reached across the table and flicked his forehead. Victoria doesn’t take crap from anybody that’s for sure.

“Well Mr. Disrespectful, I heard that she was in your guys’ biology class.” she pointed to Sulli, Luna, Minho and I. “All the kids have been talking about her. I think her name is Christine…Clara…Christy.” Victoria rubbed at her chin trying to figure out her name. “You mean Krystal? What have they been saying about her?” I asked eagerly. I guess too eagerly, because now everybody is looking at me like I have two heads. “Are you gonna answer my question? Or naw?” I said impatiently.

“Well they said that she’s really pretty, but it’s a shame that she’s rude and mean.” Victoria shrugged. I unconsciously ball my hand into a fist, feeling a surge of anger going through my body.

“Who are they to say that about her? They don’t know her so they don’t have the right to say stuff like that about her. Knowing most of the people in this school, they’re not exactly angels either.” I said exasperatedly. Everybody’s eyes widen, not expecting my reply. I rarely get annoyed, so when I do, it must be something that really irritates me. “Do you know her?” Jonghyun asked me.

“No.” I said softly. But I really do want to get to know her. I try to make up a quick excuse to answer his question. “It just annoys me when people talk crap about someone that they don’t know.” It is true, it’s probably my biggest pet peeve.

“I’m with you Am!” Henry said, breaking the serious yet awkward atmosphere. That reminds me, where is she? Every time I look for her, she’s just nowhere in sight. I glance around the cafeteria for a couple of quick seconds and was about to give up, but then I found her. She was sitting at the table next to the vending machine by herself. Most people when they sit alone, they’re just waiting for somebody to sit with them. But not her. Her facial expression just screams “LEAVE ME ALONE.” But I wasn’t gonna let that stop me from trying to approach her.

“Hey guys, I’ll be right back. I have to go do something really quick.” I grabbed my book bag, stood up, and started walking towards her table. I can feel their eyes following me and my heart beats faster the closer I get to her. I stop right in front of her, waiting for her to notice me. She seems really interested in that book she’s reading. She doesn’t even feel my presence. I clear my throat to get her attention and she looks up at me with those same, empty eyes. I wait for her to say something, but she doesn’t. I guess I have to be the one to start the conversation.

“U-u-uh hey there Krystal. I saw that you were sitting alone so I thought you would like somebody to sit with.” She takes her eyes off me and starts reading her book again. “So, how was your first day so far?” No response. I take a quick glance at what she’s reading and see that it’s my favorite book. “Hey, that’s my favorite book. I just finished it like a couple of weeks ago. My favorite part was when the daughter gives up her gold necklace to pay for her mom’s medical bills. What was yours?” Again, no response.

“Uh, do you want me to maybe show you around? Since you’re new and all? I can show you your classes and introduce you to all the…” She stands up and leaves without saying anything. She didn’t even look at me. “-new clubs.” I finished my sentence softly to nobody. Well, there goes my pride. I look over to where the gang was sitting, and I could see that they were trying so hard not to laugh.

I stand up and head back over to their table. I walk over with my head down, still shocked that my attempts weren’t successful. I mean, wasn’t I nice enough? Like I even brought up the book she was reading, thinking maybe that would get her to talk to me. But I guess not.

“Smooth Am, real smooth.” Key said sarcastically. Damn this diva. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, but thanks for the compliment.” I smiled at him, trying to forget the fact that I just got embarrassed.

“Yeah okay, whatever Am.” Key snickered at me. The bell rings saving me from any further embarrassment. I stood up quickly and started making my way towards the exit of the lunchroom, when I felt somebody link their arms with mine. I look to see who it is and it was of course, Sulli. She grinned at me and pulled me towards my next class that I shared with her. This girl has really long legs so she takes huge steps. She needs to be more considerate of the short people like…me.

“Can you slow down you ostrich? Girl, you got me tripping!” I exclaimed playfully. She stuck her tongue at me and continued pulling me to our next class. We enter the classroom with our arms still linked together when I saw her. The girl who brightened up my day although she ignored me the whole. The girl who drove me crazy and embarrassed me in front of my friends. Krystal. She looked at me, but then her eyes dropped down to my arm which was still linked with Sulli’s. I pull away quickly and Sulli’s eyes just widen in surprise. I take a seat next to Krystal, while Sulli sits in front of me. Krystal’s seat is right next to the window, and she quickly averts her gaze to the window where the strong wind is blowing the orange and red leaves around the school yard.

I sit in my seat quietly while waiting for the teacher to come in but I couldn’t help but remember Krystal’s eyes on Sulli and I’s arms. Sulli’s like a sister to me and I’m like a big sist…well brother to her, so we do stuff like that. And the people that don’t know us might think we’re a couple, but we both ignore it. But for some reason, I don’t want Krystal to think that we’re a couple, and that we’re just friends. But why?


And cut! Thank you to everyone that subscribed and commented, it made my day(s). And thank you for reading! I'll try to update every other day, but if I'm busy, I promise to update at least once or two times a week. See you all again soon :)