Déjà Vu

Try

Amber’s POV

My feet feel like they’re planted into the ground. I can’t move. Did that really just happen?

I’m pretty sure that was like the thousandth time that I messed up with Krystal. And to think that we were actually getting somewhere. My dumb self just had to go and messed it up. I run my fingers through my hair and pull at the short strands with frustration. My feet finally start working again and I make my way back to the steps of the library.

I plop my bottom down next to my book bag and stare at the spot that Krystal was sitting in. Hopefully she gets home safely. I don’t want anything to happen to her while she’s this vulnerable. I pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time, and it looks like I’m gonna be late for dinner if I don’t start heading home now. I stare at Krystal’s spot one more time before standing up and swinging my bag around my shoulder.

I make my way down the steps and start walking home, thinking about what just happened.


She’s avoiding me. I can tell. It’s been days since that whole incident happened.

She won’t even look at me, so I guess we’re back at one. I’ve been trying to get her attention the whole day now. I cleared my throat, snapped my fingers nonstop, and threw notes on her desk. I even pretended that I was choking on something when we were in the lunchroom, but she just walked while everybody was panicking.

Wow, I guess she really doesn’t care. That hurts my heart so much.

Then, all of a sudden I felt someone pinch the back of my neck. I let out a small shriek and the teacher turns away from the chalkboard to give me an angry look. “Everything okay Amber? Or do you have something that you want to share with the class?”

“No, I’m good.” I said with a grin. “Whatever.” The teacher mumbled quietly before turning back to the board. She should definitely win teacher of the year award. I was being sarcastic, if you didn’t notice.

I turn around to face the suspect. I was met with an angry Luna. “What did you do this time?” Luna asked angrily.

“What are you talking about?” I’m so confused right now. “Don’t play dumb with me Amber. But I guess I don’t blame you. You are dumb.”

“Hey! I have feelings you know. And why are you so angry? Is it because they ran out of iced coffee at Starbucks?”

Luna is probably the nicest person you will ever meet in this cold, cold world. Well, her and Sulli. So for her to be angry and mean, someone must have really messed up. And that someone is me.

The only time I’ve seen Luna mad was when she missed the bus for school, lost her phone, accidentally fell into a puddle of mud, and her ice coffee at Starbucks was unavailable. And that all happened in the same day, so you can only imagine how angry she was that day. I don’t even wanna think about how she was. It sends chills down my spine.

“No you idiot. Starbucks will never run out of iced coffee ever again after they had a little taste of my wrath. But I’m talking about Krystal.” She said while rolling her eyes.

“Wait, what happened with Krystal?” I asked curiously. “Well she wouldn’t sit with us at lunch after I invited her to do so. And I invited her to hang out with us sometimes on the weekends or something and she asked me who was going. I mentioned your name and then she started acting all weird.”

“Like what kind of weird?” I then turn around real quick to look at the teacher, but she was too busy sleeping on her desk. I turn back around and wait for Luna to answer my question.

“It was really weird. Like as soon as I mentioned your name, her eyes got really big, like the size of tennis balls. Then she was stuttering, trying to say something. It took her like thirty seconds to say “No” and then she just walked away without saying goodbye. It was weird because she only acted like that when I said your name.” Luna said. “So I’m asking you one more time. What did you do?”

“I honestly don’t know. A couple of days ago, we got caught in the rain so we ended up sitting under the roof of the library until it stops. We were talking just fine when I might have said something that she didn’t like. Hell, I don’t even know.” I explained with a tone of frustration in my voice.

“Okay. So what did you say to her?” Luna asked me. I can feel my face getting red. I really don’t want to tell Luna right now. It’s not that I don’t trust her. It’s just way too complicated right now. Well that and the fact that she’s gonna tell everybody. Luna has a big mouth I tell you.

“Something. It wasn’t even that serious.” I hope she believes my lie. “You’re lucky I love you. I would’ve forced it out of you but since it seems serious, I’ll just wait for you to tell me in person.” She gave me a small pinch on my cheek and gave me a smile.

“Thanks Luna. I love you.” I said with all sincerity. I’m so lucky to have a friend like her.

“But I swear, if you don’t do something to fix this mess, I will beat you up so hard that it will make you wish you were never alive.” She said with the most sickening smile I have ever seen.

 “Y-ye-yes ma-ma-mam.” I stuttered nervously. For somebody so small, she can be scarier than a 500-pound giant.

The bell rings and Luna and I walk out of the class together. I head to my locker while Luna heads to hers which is in the other hallway. I put all of my unneeded books into my locker and take all the things that I need out of it. I put them in my book bag when a familiar scent fills my nostrils.

It’s Krystal’s perfume. I turn my head to check if I was right, and sure enough, I was. I quickly close my locker and start running towards Krystal. I manage to grab her wrist and she turns around sporting a confused look on her face. When she sees that it’s me, she tries to pull her wrist out of my iron grip.

It feels like déjà vu huh?

The hallways are almost empty except for the two or three people who are still standing around. “Let go of me.” Krystal says while shooting a glare at me. She should know that I kind of got used to her glare now. So now I’m not as scared as I was before…but I’m still scared.

“No. We really need to talk about this.” I said while keeping my grip on her wrist. “We don’t need to talk about anything! Now let me go!” She yelled at me.

Realizing that this is not gonna work out, I see an empty classroom behind Krystal. I open the door with my free hand and pull Krystal inside. She stumbles into the classroom and I shut the door, putting my back against it. I lock the door quickly before Krystal gets the chance to escape. “Open that door right now Amber Liu. I don’t have time for this.”

“NO!” I yelled at her. Her eyes widen because she has never seen this side of me before. “We’re gonna stay here until we talk about this. I don’t care if it takes hours, days even. I have nowhere to be anyways. I need to know why you can’t believe me.” I pull a chair that was nearby, put it against the door, and sit down on it. I keep my gaze on Krystal the whole time, waiting for her to say something.

What she says next, catches me off guard and I don’t know if I should be happy or nervous.

“Fine.”


Hey guys! I'm sorry I haven't updated, I've been really busy with school lately. I took like 12 tests in five days. I know you probably don't wanna hear my excuses lol. But thanks for subscribing, commenting, voting, and reading in general. It really makes my day. Let me know what you guys think and I'll see you all soon. Bye beautiful people!