Story of My Life

Try

Amber’s POV

“Fine.”

Krystal struts over to the empty desk closest to the door and throws her bag onto the surface. She pulls out the chair, turns it around to face me, and sits down on it. Being the proper lady that she is, she runs her hand over her skirt to make sure that it’s smooth and unwrinkled, and crosses her left leg over her right.

I watch her run her fingers through her long, beautiful hair and patiently wait for her to start talking. She takes a deep breath and starts playing with her fingers. I guess she’s nervous, but yet again, I would be too if I had to tell somebody what I was dealing with it. It was kept a secret for a reason and not for anybody else to know it.

“I don’t believe you.” She says plain and simple while looking at me with her piercing gaze. I let out a sarcastic chuckle and roll my eyes.

“You might want to be a little more specific, princess. I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’m not a mind reader here.”

“Watch the attitude Liu. You’re lucky I even agreed to talk to you.” I let out a snort at her response. “Ha. Agreed? I practically had to drag you into this room in case you forgot.” She gives me an icy, cold glare and that shut me up right away.

“That you love me. I can’t believe that.” She said like it’s the most obvious thing in the world. It makes me think that maybe it’s her life motto, because it sounds like she has been saying it all her life.

“Oh yeah? And why not?” I asked curiously. “I mean I would understand if you said that you didn’t believe me. But to say that you don’t believe me? That’s a little strange.”

I wait for her response but it seems like she’s carefully plotting what to say next. As if the next thing she says might just make or break her. She bites on her lower lip, which I found so attractive, and her eyes keep shifting from one spot to another.

After a few seconds, her eyes stop shifting and she looks straight at me. And only at me.

“Because love has never worked out for me.” She says, but I noticed that her voice cracked at the end of her sentence. She takes her eyes off me and looks down at the floor. “I-, “Krystal raises her hand signaling for me to stop talking.

“Tell me Amber. Do you have parents?” I frowned at her question. What does that have to do with anything? “Uh yeah. I have parents.” I said with a hint of confusion apparent in my voice. She looks at me and gives me her oh-so-famous expressionless gaze.

“Do they love you?” Isn’t that like the easiest question to answer? Like ever?

“Of course they do.” It seemed like a simple answer to a simple question, but I guess not for Krystal. She cringed at my response, and I can’t help but to wonder why.

“That’s good.” She says in a soft tone. It makes her sound so fragile and vulnerable. Like one wrong move and she can just crumble into tiny, beautiful pieces. “But what does that have to do with anyt-“She raises her hand, signaling for me to stop talking.

“Just listen, okay? This is the first time that I have ever told anybody this. And I-I just need to get it out, because if I don’t, it might just destroy me. So please let me talk before I end up not being able to say anything.” She lets out, all in one breath. She takes a deep sigh to compose herself.

“You have the floor, Krystal. Go ahead.” I said softly to her.

“My mother was an amazing person. Well that was what my dad told me. I never really met her or talked to her at all.  She died right after she gave birth to me. I was raised by my dad. I had an older sister, but she didn’t really talk to me. She never wanted to play with me. Hell, she didn’t even want to be around me.” Krystal lets out a little sniffle that I barely caught, but I heard it nonetheless. She had her head down so I couldn’t see her face

“She ran away as soon as she turned eighteen. I was eight at that time. My dad went up to her room to wake her up for school, but her room was empty. She packed up some of her clothes and just…left. She just left like that. We called the police and they tried looking for her, but after six months of looking, they gave up. So after that, it was only me and my dad. He was the only one I had left.”

“I didn’t have any friends. Everybody teased me because I had no mom and the news of my sister running away traveled fast throughout the small town that we were living in. Then, when I turned fifteen, my dad started getting really sick. So sick to the point where he couldn’t even get out of bed on some days. We went to the doctor and he was diagnosed with terminal illness. He died right before I turned sixteen.”

Krystal finally lifts her head and I see the tears rolling down her perfect cheeks. I stand up from my chair and drag my chair right next to hers. I sit down on it again and she turns to me with confusion. I just give her a soft smile and for the first time today, she gives me one back.

“They wanted me to go to a foster home, but I refused to. So I ran away and enrolled myself here. I rented a small apartment with the money that my dad left me and I’ve been living off of that. But it’s sad isn’t it? People always say they have no one to hang out with or no one to talk to. But me… I literally have no one, no one. So love? It’s nothing more than a dream that will never come true for me.”

I guess she finally couldn’t hold it in anymore and she just burst out into tears. Her loud sobs fill the whole room and I hope that nobody outside can hear us. I freeze in my spot not knowing what to do, so I just opt for an awkward side hug. I rub her shoulders softly while her sobs continue to echo throughout this boxed space that we’re enclosed in.

“I j-j-just d-don’t understand what I-I did to deserve this. Out of e-e-everybody, w-why me?” She asks while hiccupping at the same time.

“Because obstacles and hardships shapes you. It shapes your character, your personality, you in a whole. It’s what you do with those obstacles, with those hardships that truly matter at the end. At the end of the day, you either overcome it or you spend the rest of your life trying. A wise man once said: what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” I finished softly. Wow, I really sounded wise.

“Thanks Kelly Clarkson. I appreciate it.” She lets out a small laugh after her sobs died down.

“You’re absolutely welcome. And you might not believe it now, but I won’t stop trying to show you that what I feel for you is real. To know that you trust me that much to tell me all of this. I really appreciate it Krystal. I want to be your friend. I want to be there for you. I want to take care of you Krystal and love you and everything else that will make you feel like the most special girl in the world. Because after everything that you’ve been through, you deserve nothing less than that.”

A small tear escapes from her left eye as she reaches for my hand. She intertwines her fingers into mine and places it on her lap. “Thank you Amber.” She says quietly while she leans her head on my shoulder.

“Of course. Anything for you.” I say softly as I look at the wooden door in front of us.

“But I’m pretty sure everybody went home by now, so I think we’re locked in here for the night.”


And that's a wrap. Anyways, thanks everybody for voting, commenting, subscribing and reading in general. It is truly appreciated. So now you know Krystal's story and things are only going to heat up from here...I think lol. But what's up with the whole Jessica and SNSD and SM thing? I don't even know man. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it's not true, but judging from what happened this year alone, I'm just gonna let things take its course. But again, subscribe and comment. It makes my day! :) See you soon, you beautiful people!