Talk

Change of Heart

Jonghyun POV

 

I have a mixture of feelings as I walk into school. A part of me is excited to see Key and the other part of me is worried because I didn’t have a chance to explain myself. I don’t know what I would do if he hates me more now, the thought terrifies me. On top of that we still have our project, which is far from complete.

As the day progresses, my anxiety skyrockets. I find myself fixing my hair way too much and fidgeting nonstop. I need to see him and soon.

I walk into class and Key is already here. He doesn’t look up as I take my seat. He’s acting like I don’t exist just like before when Minho hurt him. I don’t understand why, therefore I decided to be the one to speak first.

“Hi.” I say weakly.

He looks at me, rolls his eyes then continues to ignore me. Did I do something wrong? I ask myself. As far as I’m concerned he wanted to kiss me just as much as I wanted to kiss him. This whole situation is a mess.

“Is there something wrong?” I dare to ask as I shift in my seat nervously.

“HA! Is there something wrong? Do you think I’m an idiot or something? Just because I’m new here doesn’t mean I don’t know about you Jonghyun.” He says with an edge.

“What are you talking about?” I say.

Now he’s starting to piss me off. What does he mean by “know about me”. Is he talking about me dating a lot of girls? Because as far as I’m concerned, I have only gone on one date since school started and even then I was miserable because I couldn’t stop thinking about Key.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about.” He snaps.

“Look, can you come over after school so we can talk.” I say almost pleading.

He looks at me for what feels like forever before he speaks.

“I guess.” But then he quickly adds, “Touch me again though and you’ll be sorry.” I feel his eyes burn through me as he says his last statement. He is really upset with me; I just wish I knew why.

The bell rings and he quickly leaves class without looking my way. This kid really knows how to get under my skin. How dare he act like this towards me when I have done nothing but try to please him. I read through his whole freaking notebook so I could do this project with him. How can he act like this because I kissed him? I know he liked it, I could feel it.

.

.

I wait outside for Key but he doesn’t show up. It’s been fifteen minutes. He wouldn’t stand me up, would he? Even though he’s mad at me I don’t think he’s that kind of person.

I walk out into the parking lot and notice that his car is still here. It’s hard to miss since he has one of the nicest cars out of the whole school. I decide to go back inside and look for him. A teacher could have held him back, Key can have an attitude sometimes.

As I turn down the hall where his locker is, I sense that something is not right. A crowd of students is walking off and I see Minho being dragged away by a teacher.

.

I walk closer and see Key propped up against the lockers with a worried Taemin shaking him frantically. I run over to him.

“What happened?” Keys eye is swelling and he has nasty bruises on his wrists, like he was pinned down.

“Why the do care Jonghyun, it was your friends that did this!” He yells. I care too much. I think to myself.

“I’m going to take him to my house till he wakes up, he shouldn’t be home alone like this.” I move to pick Key up when Taemin stops me.

“The hell you are! I’ll take him.” He says insistently.

“Um excuse me but do you know how to drive Keys car?” I say annoyed. I go to grab Key again but Taemin pulls my hand away.

“I don’t, but I’m sure as hell not letting you take him. Who knows what you’ll do to him while he’s passed out.” He glares at me with so much hatred. I’m guessing Key told him what happened.

I sigh. “I don’t know what Key told you but I would never do that.” This argument is exhausting me, I need to get Key to my house and get Ice on his face before it swells too much.

“He told me enough” He looks down at Key and back up at me. That’s when I see his neck. . I didn’t mean to leave a mark like that, no wonder he had a bulky scarf on today. “Why don’t you ask Key why your friends did this when he wakes up.” He shoves me and starts to walk away.

“Wait! What do you mean?” Now I’m worried.

“I’m only going to tell you because it’s your fault and you deserve to suffer.” He sighs. “Minho came over teasing him and he ripped his scarf off and saw the mark you left. He shoved Key into the lockers again calling him all kinds of names and one thing led to another.” This is entirely my fault. If I could have controlled myself maybe he wouldn’t in this position. I run a shaky hand through my hair and sigh.

“Do anything to him and you’ll be sorry.” With that he storms off.

“Ughhhhh.” I hear Key groan.

I grab his face gently. “Look at me please, are you okay?” I have never been so worried about someone in my life. He looks so fragile sitting there, so helpless. I put an arm around him and help him up.

“Ahhaaa!” He shouts while grabbing his side.

“I’m sorry. We have to get you out of here quickly or else your eye is going to look worse.” His expression is pure horror.

“Worse! What do you mean? How bad is it?” He touches his eye and winces.

“I’m going to take you to my house and get you some ice, it won’t look so bad after the swelling goes down.” I try to relax him but I just managed to make him more paranoid.

We walk the rest of the way in silence. I help him into the car and can’t help but notice the defeated expression he wears. I can’t let this happen again. Minho needs to stop, I can’t keep seeing Key like this. It’s tearing me apart.

Thankfully he doesn’t object to me driving, he just sits there silently staring out the window. He looks thoughtful. Probably thinking of a way to get as far away from me as possible. I don’t blame him, this is all my fault.

As we walk into my house I am tempted to take his hand but I know he would pull away. I don’t risk it, the rejection will hurt too much.

I gently push him towards the bed. “Lay down.” I say.

“On your bed? Are you crazy?” He says in disbelief.

“Then lay on the floor!” The words leave my mouth and I immediately regret them. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that. Look I’m not going to try anything on you I promise but you need to lay down.” I say as nicely as I can.

“Fine but only for my health not because you told me too.” He says crossing his arms. He is such a diva, I chuckle to myself, but thankfully he laid down.

“I’m going to get you some ice.” I walk out of the room. I grab a couple of ice packs from the freezer because I remember him holding his side. He’s probably hurt there too.

I walk back him and see him lying down. He’s holding his side tightly while wincing in pain. The sight breaks my heart. I gently touch his arm, turning him towards me and I see that he’s crying. Every part of me shatters. This is my fault, I cause this pain and I hate myself for it. I brush my thumb across his cheek wiping away his tears, when his eyes meet mine.

“I’m sorry, this is all my fault.” I look away, it kills me to see him like this. I hand him the ice packs and get up slowly.

“Where are you going?” He says surprised.

“I didn’t think you wanted to be around me. It’s my fault he did this, if I hadn’t…” I can’t finish the sentence.

“Your right it is your fault.” He says, breaking me even more. “And since it is your fault, it’s your duty to take care of me.” I catch a hint of a smile on his lips, making my heart flutter.

“Okay.” I sit on the edge of the bed. “What do you want me to do?” I ask nervously, afraid he’s going to make me do something ridiculous.

“I need aspirin and water, please.” He says and I let out a heavy breath. He snaps his finger at me. “Hurry up!” He adds.

I smile slightly as I go to fill his request. I come back and he takes the aspirin and lies back down. His shirt rise a tiny bit and I can already see the bruise forming. Before I can stop myself, I am lifting it higher.

“Yah!” He shouts. “What the hell are you doing!”

“Your side is badly bruised.” I can’t mask the worry in my voice. What if he’s seriously hurt?

“I’m fine.” He snaps.

“Your not fine!” I shout right back. “What if something’s broken!”

“Nothing broken! I know what that feels like so stop worrying about me.”

“How can I stop worrying about you when I..” Thankfully I stop myself before its too late.

“You what?” He demands.

“Nothing, forget it. Please Kibum just let me look at it.” I plead.

“Fine if it will make you stop pestering me.” He gives in. I gently lift up his shirt. I sigh in relief as I realize it’s not as bad as I initially though but it still looks painful. I slide my fingertips along the bruise as lightly as I can and he shivers underneath me. I can feel his eyes on me as I look up.

I blush. “I’m sorry. Did I hurt you?” My eyes drop to the floor.

“No.” He says quickly. “I just..I told you not to touch me!” I can tell he’s flustered. He doesn’t hide it very well and he turns away from me.

“Can I ask you something?” I have to tell him how I feel, I need to know why he was upset with me before. Its eating me alive.

“Yeah I guess.” He says unsure.

“Why were you upset with me earlier? I mean before Minho and everything.” I fidget a little thanks to my nerves.

“Why did you kiss me?” He snaps. He’s angry with me but all I do is stare into those perfect eyes.

“Do you really want to know?” I say teasing. He doesn’t find this amusing though.

“Yes!” He shouts.

I take a deep breath. “I kissed you because ever since the moment you sat next to me, I haven’t stopped thinking about you. I tried everything, I went out with other girls, I tried to make you hate me and nothing worked. Then we got partnered together and I was equally excited and terrified. I’m terrified of my feelings for you, Key. You are the bravest person I have ever met, you stand up for people even though you end up like this and you don’t care what others think about you. You’re not ashamed to be who you are and I envy that so much. I have never felt this way about anyone and I know you probably hate me because I have only caused you pain, but I want you to know how I feel even if you don’t feel the same.” He stares at me with his lips parted in disbelief. I probably look like an idiot right now.

I watch him slowly sit up. I look down expecting him to hit me or yell at me but he does neither. He puts his hand on my cheek until I meet his eyes.

“Do you really mean that?” He whispers.

I lace my fingers through his and kiss his palm. “Of course I do.”

He pulls my face toward his and kisses me. It is slow and passionate unlike our first kiss. His fingers find their way to my neck and he pulls me closer and I feel his tongue glide across my bottom lip. I gladly part my lips and his tongue explores my mouth. I let him dominate the kiss since I’m on thin ice already but I don’t care, the way his tongue dances with mine and the way he wrapped his legs around me, sitting in my lap. His hands slide their way up my shirt, caressing my chest and moving lower to my abs. I move my way down to his neck where I have already marked him. I place a few gentle kisses on the purple mark and continue lower. I kiss and hard on his collarbone while he throws his head back, . His hands get lost in my hair as I kiss his lips once more.

Key pulls away and presses his forehead against mine. We stay like that for what feels like forever, breathing in each other’s air.

“Stay here tonight.” I say, more of a demand than a question.

“I’m not sure if that’s a good idea…” He says unsure.

“Please, I promise I will behave.” I smirk.

He pouts. “Fine, but only cause I’m too tired to drive home but I need to borrow clothes cause I don’t want to sleep in jeans.”

“Okay.” I get up and dig around in my drawer until I find a pair of sweat pants that are smaller than my usual ones. “These should fit.” I hand them to him.

“Where’s your bathroom.” He asks.

“What are you afraid to change in front of me?” I smile at him.

“Nope, I’m just not letting you get me undressed that easily.” He returns my smile and walks out of the room. Kim Kibum is sleeping over my house. How did I end up this lucky, even if we don’t kiss or anything at all the rest of the night, I wouldn’t care. Just being with him is enough.