Project

Change of Heart

Key POV

 

I cannot think of anything I want more than to just fall asleep and forget this day ever happened. Unfortunately my bladder has other ideas. I get up and crawl my way to the bathroom in the pitch black. I stop a few feet away from the door when I hear my grandma’s voice from down stairs.

Who could she be talking to this late? I silently ask myself. Quietly I inch closer.

“Yes I am doing fine…. No he isn’t causing me trouble with his..um..problem” She says in a hushed tone.

Is she talking to my parents? Why would they call so late? What are they calling it a problem? These questions buzz around in my head like bees in a hive.

“Why don’t you just talk to him?....No I don’t understand how you feel…..Well he hasn’t shamed me….Okay fine I wont tell him you called”

I silently run back to my room and shut the door.

How can they not want to talk to their own son? Do they really despise me that much that the mere thought of my voice sickens them? Now even my grandmother is lying to me. They could have called many times before but every time I ask she says the same thing, no. I wouldn’t even know what to say to them if they wanted to talk to me. In fact I have nothing to say to them. If they don’t want to talk to me then I don’t want to talk to them. I’m done asking my grandma if they called, they can go to hell for all I care.

 

I wake to knocking on my door.

“Kibummie I made breakfast, come down when you’re ready.” My grandma says in an oddly sweet tone. Weird. She never makes me breakfast; she’s always up much earlier than me. I let out a deep breath as I recall the phone conversation from last night. How could they hate me so much for something I cannot control? As if I purposely told them I was gay to dishonor them.

I put on decent clothes and make my way downstairs.

Curiously I look at the table before me and its full of eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes and fruit. Why would she go to all this trouble? I push that thought away and start to fill my plate. I haven’t had breakfast like this in a long time. It almost makes this day better until I remember that I have to see Jonghyun for this project later.

My grandma takes a seat across from me and sips her coffee while I eat as much as I can. She must sense that I am almost done because she speaks up.

“Kibummie, I know you heard me on the phone last night.” Looking up at her I can tell by her eyes that she is really upset. I don’t know what to say so I say nothing. She takes this as an invitation to keep talking.

“How do I know, you might ask, I heard your foots steps. I know you’re probably upset with me for keeping it from you and I don’t blame you. They called before and I’m sorry for lying. I only kept it from you because I didn’t want to upset you. They still need sometime to accept who you are.”

“They are my parents and should love me no matter what.” I say in a harsh tone. I shouldn’t speak like this to her but my anger is getting the best of me.

“I know they should and they do, it’s just…hard for them to accept that their only son is gay. Who you choose to love shouldn’t matter and it doesn’t matter to me. I will always love you know matter what and if you want to stay here till for good even if your parents come to their senses then its fine with me. I will never judge you for being different Kibummie.” She says in a loving tone that brings tears to my eyes. Knowing that she accepts me and still loves me makes me so happy.

“Thank you” I say trying to hold back tears. “For everything, you do too much for me already. I’m sorry for eavesdropping, it was wrong of me.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for. I should have told you from the beginning.” She said with a small smile.

“Okay, thank you for breakfast it was delicious but I have some homework I need to finish.” I say with a smile. I give her a quick kiss on the cheek and head up stairs.

I fall on to my bed and replay what she just said to me. Maybe today won’t be as bad as I thought.

.

.

.

I pull up outside of Jonghyun’s house. Sigh, I can’t believe I really have to do this. It takes all my will power to convince myself to walk up to the door and knock.

He opens the door and looks me up and down. I can tell he’s judging me. I don’t understand why its not like I dressed up to see him. I’m just wearing black skinnies and a grey long sleeve. My clothes may be a little tight but that’s how everyone dresses these days so I don’t understand his problem. Whatever, I shouldn’t worry about it. Its not like I care what he thinks of me.

He says nothing but turns around and I guessing he wants me to follow, so I do. We walk through the living room and I can’t help but notice how plain his house is. There are barely any decorations on the walls and I notice the room is just two couches and a TV at the far wall. How boring, I think. I wouldn’t want to live in such a boring house. I like color and excitement. I also like furniture that compliments each other unlike his house with a forest green couch on one side and an off white one on the other side. These people have no taste!

Finally we reach his room and I’m immediately shocked. It’s not like the rest of his house. His walls are a deep blue with white trim, which looks very sophisticated except for the many band posters covering them. If I had to imagine his room it would probably be like this, boyish.

We sit on his bed and he pulls out his books from his bag.

“So” He pauses. This is so awkward. Why did I have to partnered with him? “Uhm have you thought about what we should do are project on?”

“Yeah, I actually have a couple ideas” I say. I go on to explain the ideas I was thinking of last night and he looks like a lost puppy.

“Were you not paying attention at all in any of the classes?” I say starting to get annoyed already.

“How am I supposed to pay attention when it’s so incredibly boring!” He glares at me.

“How do you know it’s boring if you don’t pay attention” I argue and he just stares at me with hatred in his eyes. It’s not my fault he decided not to pay attention in any of the classes.

“This project has to be a duel effort and how do you expect to do that if you don’t know what the hell is going on.” I add.

“Does it even matter if I help? You’re just going to tell the teacher that I did nothing just to get back at me.” He says with hate.

“If you actually do your share of work I won’t do that. I’m not like you I don’t have to ruin other peoples lives just to make myself feel better about myself.” I didn’t mean to say that but he’s just getting on my nerves. Sometimes when I’m angry I have no filter but I could care less right now. I decide to look at him and I immediately regret it because he looks like he’s about to punch me. Great so now he’s going to beat me up while I’m trapped in his room.

Next thing I know he’s grabbing me by my shirt and is inches away from my face when he says, “I don’t know what kind of fantasy you live in but as far as I know I have never touched you or your friend. So you can stop running your girly little mouth!”

Watching your friends hurt others while you stand there and do nothing to stop them is just as bad as inflicting the wounds. Ha, and he says I’m living in a fantasy.

“Well smartass you’re touching me right now!” I hiss. He shoves my slightly and releases my shirt. Great, I think, this is going so well.

We sit in silence for what feels like forever. Finally I look at my phone and realize that it’s almost nine. Well I spent almost three hours with this jerk and we have accomplished nothing.

I look over to him and see that he’s looking through his textbook, attempting to make sense of what our topic is. I take a deep breath before I decide to speak.

“Here” I had him my notebook. “I have a lot of notes on our topic and I think it will be easier to understand than the text book. Just keep it till Monday and give it to me when I see you in class.”

“Really?” He says confused.

“Yeah if were going to work together then it would be easier if you knew what was going on. Next time I would actually like to get work done and not have you sit there like your reading a foreign language.” I smirk.

“Alright, uh thank you.” He says still unsure like I somehow place an explosive in my notebook.

“Okay, so I will see you Monday then.” I shoot him one of my charming smiles to confuse him more. This is fun, I think silently. A weird part of me actually liked fighting with him. Not to mention he incredibly y when he gets angry…

Oh god Key get those thought out of your head he is not y! Ugh I have spent too much time around that jerk and now my thoughts are messed up. I just need to go sleep. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for subscribing! I'm going to try to update this as much as I can but school up alot of my time. 

I am going to school for writing and publishing so hopefully my writing impoves over time.

Thank you!