Friday

Change of Heart

Jonghyun POV 

 

Finally it was Friday. Jonghyun's friend Minho found out that he sits next to the new kid in History and hasn't gotten off his back about it. 

"Careful Jonghyun, you might catch a disease just from sitting next to him!" Minho jokes as the rest of his friends laugh.

I don't laugh though, today I'm just not in the mood for his jokes. Knowing that in my next class I have to see Key really stresses me out. After I yelled at him the first day he barely even looks at me, let alone speak to me. Its just awkward but I guess I only have myself to blame, I was a little harsh.

"Come on Jjong loosen up." He says, slapping my back. Before I can reply the bell rings and lunch is over. 

A small part of me wanted to defend Key but that would never happen. The endless teasing I would get would be unbearable. Or worse, they would assume that we were dating or something ridiculous like that. Ha, the rumors that would spread if they even saw us talking. 

When I walk into the classroom, I notice Key is already in his seat. Weird because every day I've arrived before him. I silently take my seat but not before I notice that he is dressed differently than the previous days. Today he is in all black, unlike the other days where he wore so much color it was as if a rainbow exploded on him. 

Black really does suit him well. His grey eyes are outlined with dark eyeliner, making them even more noticable and his red tinted hair pops against his black bomber jacket.  Thankfully the teacher finally walks in. As I tear my eyes away from key I notice I was staring for a long time. Damn, what is wrong with me. 

I start to think of different girls I have seen this week, maybe I just need to hook up with a few. Maybe then I can get this freak out of my head.

.

.

Once the final bell of the day rings, I meet the guys by our lockers. My mood has lifted since I won't have to see that wierdo for two days and have some time to clear my head. 

Unfortunately, I'm not that lucky. When I turn my head, I can see Key and a boy named Taemin walking this way. Taemin has always been a target for my friends. His skinny body and feminine features made him easily stand out from the other guys at my school and he soon became easy prey. 

Taemin has dated girls before so I'm pretty sure he is not gay but I can't help but feel this tiny twist in my stomach. Why the hell do I feel that. Man, I really need to find a girl and fast. 

"Hey hey hey, where do you think you two love birds are going." Minho says blocking their path. 

"Obviously we are going home, school ended ten minutes ago ." Says Key in such a tone that it made me chuckle. No one has ever talked back to Minho like that. Seeing the look in Minho's eyes, my smile began to falter. I have never seen him look that angry. Probably because no one had ever dared to talk back to him. Minho is over six feet tall and is very muscular. He intimidates almost everyone.

"Key lets just go" Taemin says timidly.

Before Key can answer, Minho throws him into the lockers. Though the sound is deafening as he collides into them, Key makes no sound though, not even a cry of pain. He just pushes himself up against the lockers holding his side. You could tell it hurt but he was trying hard not to show it. 

Soon after Minho looks to Taemin who went over to help Key. The next thing I knew Minho punched him square in the face. Taemin cries out as his eye immediately started to swell. 

The loud noises finally start to grab a few of the teachers attention and they come rushing out. 

"Minho" says one teacher, "you need to leave now or else you will be suspended". Minho comes from strict parents and knows they would be furious with him if he was to be suspended. He quickly leaves but not without sending a death glare at Key, which Key furiously returns while he helps Taemin to his feet. The teacher then turns to the rest of us and tells us to go home. Before they walk away, I try to steal a quick glance at Key. As I do, he turns to look at me and his face is just pure hatred. 

.

.

Driving home, I couldn't get what just happened out of my head. How could a guy like Key be so tough, he didn't look muscular yet he wasn't bone skinny like Taemin. When he stood up, he didn't even wince, he just started to walk away. Maybe he was used to this kind of treatment. He probably was treated the same way at his old school. The thought fills me with sadness as I realize how much a person has gone through to be used to it.