Things Can Only Get Better

Club P.I

Sunday 10:00AM

D.O woke up, feeling dizzy from yesterday’s drama. He was disappointed that Kris and Tao joined his club for the sake of…having a club. They never believed and respected him. He felt sad. He got out of his bed and saw Kai’s bed empty. He sighed and walked to the kitchen to make himself some breakfast.

To his surprise, he saw a set of bacon and egg breakfast on the dining table, still piping hot. Next to it sat a glass of orange juice and a letter. He picked it up and read.

 

Dear D.O,

We are sorry that we did such a thing to you.

We realised our mistakes and hope you will forgive us.

We didn’t intend to hurt you.

Sincerely,

Kris, Tao & Kai.

 

“Morning D.O!”

“So… you know…”

“I hope you’re feeling better today. We’re sorry for what happened last night.” Kai spoke on behalf of Kris and Tao as he know that their egos are stopping them from apologising.

“Hey… you guys. This is really sweet. Thank you. I am feeling so much better now. Last night… let us just put it behind us.” D.O stuttered, still feeling shocked that they actually cared for him.

“Oh yes! Finally I’m feeling so much more relieved now. Do you know, Kai woke us up and lectured us for what seemed like a thousand years –” Tao blurted as he sat on the dining chair, hugging Edison (his teddy bear).

“YOU SHOULD eat D.O, before the food gets cold man. Eat!” Kris interrupted, saving Tao from saying something wrong.

 

2:00PM

“Hey guys, we’ve known each other for quite some time now but I realised, I don’t really know much about you guys. And we’re living under the same roof.” D.O commented all of a sudden while they were watching television.

They nodded in agreement and Kai asked, “Shall we have a proper hanging out session now? Why don’t you start first, D.O?”

Kris switched off the television and looked at D.O.

“Hmm, alright.” He cleared his throat and spoke,

“Well, I’m D.O and I have been a nerd for all of my life. I have really studied hard to get into this school. I’m not from a well-to-do family, but my father earns decent salary as a chef to pay for my school fees here. My mother is a housewife. I have been a victim of bullying since young… and am still learning how to grow out of it.”

“You will grow out of it, I promise.” Kai assured, giving him a pat on his back. “Kris?”

“Man, I don’t know? I lived in the States since young and had to leave there to come to this school just because my parents want me to. They told me it’s prestigious and I must go, so I can make them proud.” Kris stopped and chuckled. “I’m now studying Law, can you freaking imagine? Me and Law? I have passion in Music. But I had to give it up just because of my parents. That’s why I hated everything here.”

Kris shrugged and sat back on the couch, deep in thoughts.

“I’m actually a mummy’s boy.” Tao spoke.

“Actually we all know that.” Kris laughed.

“That’s rude! You should never interrupt when someone’s speaking. Ok, let me continue, I… can’t live without my mum. She’s the best to me and I feel safe whenever she’s around. I cried because I had to leave home for school and she gave me Edison. She said if I miss her, just hug Edison and everything will be fine. Oh and my dream is to be a model. Actually, an actor too. Or maybe a singer? You know, just being famous and all.” Tao finished, sitting straight up and blinking his eyes rapidly, trying to act like a diva.

“Kai?”

After a long pause, Kai spoke, “I’m very anti-social. I don’t like to interact with people much and I’m always alone.”

“Aw! That’s like the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard!” Tao exclaimed.

“Dude, what the h*** is sweet with that. What’s wrong with you?!” Kris commented in annoyance.

“I mean like, he said HE’S ANTI-SOCIAL but he said before HE LIKES BEING AROUND US. Isn’t that sweet?! Can you use your brain sometimes, Mr Lawyer?!” Tao retorted, holding Edison’s arm to point at Kris. “And for your information, I’m using Edison to point at you because he doesn’t have a middle finger.”

Kai and D.O collapsed in laughter while Kris just rolled his eyes.

“What about your parents?” D.O asked Kai.

“I had to leave them.”

“Why? What do you mean?”

“I had to, I didn’t have a choice.” Kai answered curtly and stood up from the couch. “Shall we go grab some beer? We’re having such a great time!”

“Yea totally man! I’ll go with you.” Kris jumped up and tidied his hair, ready to head out. Before leaving the house, he winked at Tao.

“Tao, I’m going to take a shower.”

“Oh, sure! Edison, say bye to uncle D.O!” Tao raised Edison’s arm and waved it.

“No you, No Tao, just don’t. Don’t do that.”

“But why?” He pouted.

“Sigh, never mind.”

 

5:00PM

D.O switched off the shower tap and stood in front of the mirror while drying his body with a towel. He smiled as he thought of what a nice day he is having. With his eyes closed, he sensed the lights flickering. When he opened his eyes, the lights went off. And he saw a figure behind him.

It was a girl. She had very long black hair that covered her face.

D.O was trembling in terror. This was too unexpected. He swallowed his saliva in fear and tried to speak, “Wha… Who, what do you want? C…can I help you?”

D.O did not dared to turn around.

“I… just want to let you know, continue what you’re doing. You will help a lot of us. I got to go.” The thing spoke slowly in a low and deep voice.

“No wait! Wait, let me talk to you. Let me help. What is your name?” D.O turned around and tried to grab hold of her.

“NO! Don’t touch me.  I am going, and don’t follow me.”

“Wait! Please!”

The thing ran out of the bathroom, in a hurry to get away from D.O.

“Hey!” D.O caught up with her and accidentally pulled her hair. It came off.

“Tao?”

“No, no!”

“Tao?”

 

6:00PM

“We really just wanted to encourage you and especially what we did last night, we didn’t want you to feel let down. But so far, we have not sighted anything. So I wanted to fake a sighting for you… to motivate you.” Tao explained for the tenth tim, sitting on the couch in his white costume. “I’m sorrrry.”

Kai and Kris arrived home to find a fuming D.O and a pitiful Tao sitting at far ends on the couch.

“Sorry man. This was Tao’s and my idea. Kai didn’t know anything about this. We just wanted to make you feel that there’s hope and don’t give up.” Kris explained guiltily.

“I told you not to touch me or follow me! Pffft.” Tao added. “And we’re really being sincere, not trying to prank you. See! We even bought a wig for this. It’s expensive you know.”

“I really don’t know what to say or help you guys already. It’s all up to D.O now.” Kai sighed as he drank a sip of beer.

All of a sudden, D.O started giggling. Then it turned into uncontrollable laughter. Kai, Kris and Tao stared at him and then at one another, worried that D.O might become crazy.

“What the f*** Tao, did you see yourself when I tore the wig off your head? Your face was hilarious omg. HAHAHA. Sh*t, I can’t stop laughing, oh god.”

“Are, are you okay? Do you need to sleep?” Tao asked.

“No I mean really! You guys should’ve seen it. It’s epic!”

“Hey man, if you want us out of this house, we can get out man. No worries.” Kris said, worried.

“I’m fine guys. I appreciate your thoughts. Maybe next time, you can think of a better way to not get exposed. It’s okay, we’re all good.” D.O said, smiling. They cheered, drank and laughed for the night. It was a magical night and their bond got closer.

Before they turn in for bed, Tao said, “Ok, only for tonight. I will let Edison sleep with you D.O, because you deserve it. And plus I NEVER offer Edison to anyone!”

“Aw, thanks Tao, that’s really sweet.”

Before D.O could get hold of Edison, Tao spoke again, “Oh sorry, Edi and I had a discussion –”

“Goodnight Tao!”

It was a magical night indeed.

 

PS: Sorry for the very late update, but I hope you guy like it. This chapter is a good chapter for D.O, finally able to have real friends! :)