The New Member

Club P.I

          “Let me set off this meeting with a ghost story” Tao spoke and sat up straight.

They were at the east wing of the campus park – the darkest and shadiest part of the park. Not many people will pass by this area as it is located near to the old dorm building and a few other rundown and abandoned buildings. Despite being eerie, it is the best place to laze around during school hours without being caught.

“One night, Andy was walking home from school. It was very late and dark and there was no one to be found on the street, except for a newspaper booth. There sat an old man, clad in traditional clothing. Andy found it strange and went up to the stall. He saw newspaper, and some books.

The old man said, ‘Take this, but do not open it to its last page. Remember that.’ and curious, Andy took the yellow book home. When he reached home, he was too tired to read it and so placed it on his study table near the window.

The next morning, when Andy woke up, he found the yellow book wide open, the pages was flipping furiously, caused by the strong wind. Andy couldn’t reach it in time as the last page was turned to. His heart beat in anxiousness.”

Kris was trying to be calm but Tao can see that he was scared as he moved closer to D.O to get some warmth and comfort.

“AND –”

Kris startled, blinked his eyes rapidly and grabbed onto D.O’s left arm. D.O was listening attentively, engrossed in the story, a topic that he’s interested in. He didn’t even notice Kris was holding onto him.

“Guess what he saw?”

“What?” D.O asked.

“$2.90.”

“What?” D.O asked again.

“The price tag. He got scammed. The old man sold that book to him for $10. HAHAHAH oh gosh this is hilarious. I couldn’t stop laughing when I saw this story online. Awesome sh**!”

Kris got up and grabbed onto Tao’s head using his arm and both of them started wrestling. D.O sat there and froze, unable to take the mockery. Paranormal activity, it’s supposed to be intriguing, why must Tao do this?!

“Wait! Wait did you guys see that?!” Tao asked in panic.

“Stop lying you idiot!” Kris tightened his grip around Tao’s head.

“NO! Serious! Somebody is standing there!” Tao coughed as he tried to speak.

D.O didn’t want to entertain him but looked over to where he pointed nevertheless and saw it. A figure. A he. He was very pale and he looked soulless. D.O stood up and ran over to it.

“You crazy! What are you doing?! Kris help him!” Tao shouted at D.O in attempt to stop him.

“Omg my first sighting, I need to get it! Help me guys!” D.O shrieked in joy and held onto the ‘he’. And he could actually touch ‘he’. D.O was hugging him tightly as he looked at him in confusion.

“What are you doing?” He asked.

D.O jolted and let go of him, “You can actually talk? Wow.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean you can talk? We can communicate? Does it mean I am psychic?”

Kris and Tao was standing at least 5 trees away from them, holding each other in fear.

 “What are you guys doing over here? You shouldn’t be here.”

“Why? Is there a story behind this place? You can trust me and tell me, I can help you.” D.O tried to apply what he learnt from P.I documentaries.

“What are you talking about?”

“You.”

“I am Kai?”

“Kai. Kai, nice. Now, tell me what happened to you.”

“What happened? I was just trying to get some nap at the east side of the park because I want to skip my maths class? What the f*** is this. Some kind of tribe or cult group?! You guys are weird.”

“What? You mean you’re not that kind of thing?”

“WHAT KIND OF THING? WHY DO YOU SPEAK IN SUCH ALIEN LANGUAGE?!” Kai shouted in frustration.

“Ghost, supernatural, paranormal thing or… you know.” D.O whispered in embarrassment. “I’m sorry. You really looked damn white and pale and you don’t have expression I thought you were… Oh god, I’m so sorry!”

At the corner of D.O’s eyes, he could see Kris and Tao rolling on the floor laughing, at him.

“Are you serious? You believe in this kind of stuffs?” Kai questioned.

“Absolutely.”

D.O saw Kris and Tao shaking their heads vigorously as an objection.

“Why?” Kai asked D.O.

“I am interested and curious. I mean, paranormal, they are unexplainable science. It’s cool, don’t you think so? There are people who believe and there are some who don’t. I want to find out, I want an answer. And besides, I believe in it and I want to help those in need.”

“Help who?”

“Spirits, or whatever you call them. I mean, not only human have troubles and problems. I’m sure there are some spirits that are as needy as us humans. If I’m able to communicate with them, I can help them.”

“I’m in.”

“What?”

“I’ll join your club.”

“For real?”

“Why? Aren’t I like the best candidate? I looked like one.”

D.O laughed and felt grateful at the same time. He didn’t expect another member to be in his club. “Of course, you’re more than welcome to join.”

“By the way, the two of you, you have no rights to laugh at him. You guys were hiding while he confronted me. He should be the one laughing at you guys.” Kai said.

“We weren’t hiding, just…” Kris tried to explain but was interrupted by Tao.

“Omg, how do you do that? You look super cool and calm. Like some kinda popular vampire actors. How did you make your skin so pale and cool?”