Chapter 9 : Kitchen,Soup,Tablet

Mondays to Mondays

 

Ji-hyo's apartment.

In her pajamas, Ji-hyo slumped herself on the couch. She turned her view outside the window, watching falling snow. Giving a long sigh, she leaned her body, now facing the ceiling. She crossed her arms behind her head.

"Another breakup......sigh,"

 Breakup. Words that have been lingering around Ji-hyo's head tonight.  She have been through a couple of relationships and the word is no stranger to her life. She had a fair share of  bad breakups. From her experiences, she learned to move on . And when months ago  she decided to end her Monday Couple line, it's different. She thought that it would be an easy decision. It's not real after all. It's entertainment. After a few weeks of awkwardness, everything would be normal again.

And she's wrong.

The breakup didn't really separate them at all. In fact, after couple of weeks of awkwardness, they  found themselves closer than before.  From, the night of Gary's party, his injury, their bonds are getting closer. On or off camera, she will be close to him. She would be finding excuses to see him at his studio or home. Gary didn't seem to mind about that. In fact, he seems genuinely happy with it. And so is she.  Every encounter with him would be the highlight of her day.

And this initiated another breakup.

The closer she gets to Gary, the farther she gets with her boyfriend, Baek Chang-joo. He did try to win her affections back. Gifts, holidays and dinners were showered to her. Didn't work like before.  Then  they agreed to ' take a break from their relationship'  for a while. A month later, much discussion and thoughts,  they could see  their relationship is going nowhere and both knew it. Baek Chang-joo could see someone else is already inside her heart, whether she admit it or not.  She couldn't see Chang-joo more than a respected employer and he couldn't see her more than one of his artist. There's no more than that .Couple of weeks of  discussions and both mutually agreed. They are ending it. The relationship ended amicably. No bad blood and regrets.

And now here she is, thinking of what had happened. She walked slowly to her bed. As she lie down, her mind drifted again. Her relationship before were based on her need to find something stable to cling on. No risk, no fear, just a steady base for her to hold to. But it seems like it didn't work. She ruffled her head in confusion, groaning and rolling on her bed.

Thud

The sound of her cellphone falling on the floor caught her attention. As Ji-hyo picked up her phone, thhe screen shows her call records, highlighting Kang Gary's name.

*Great........it's like fate is playing tricks on me now*

Impulsively, she hit the dial button. She bit her lips , not sure why she did it. It only took a couple of seconds before she hear a groggy voice.

"yeoboseyo(hello).................."  the sleepy voice made Ji-hyo cracked a smile.

"Kang Gary, asleep already?" Ji-hyo asking the obvious question.

"Ne(yes). It's nearly 3 am. Is anything wrong?" the groggy voice sounded clearer.

Ji-hyo bit her lips again. "Ani(no), just couldn't sleep.......yet. Sorry to bother you,"

"Ji-hyo yah...... I don't mind, really. You want to talk or something?"

J-hyo shook her head. "Just wanted to hear your voice," she gave a nervous laugh realizing what she just said. " It's okay oppa, I'm going to sleep now, "

"Really? My voice? You want me to serenade you?"

"Don't get cheesy Kang Gary. I'll just have a glass of warm milk. Now go to sleep. Goodnight oppa,"

"You too . Go get some sleep. Goodnight Ji-hyo yah,"

After hearing the click on her phone, Ji-hyo's eyes are getting heavy. At the same time her mind is now thinking of one name. Kang Gary. She's questioning herself  about her feeling for him . Her true feeling for him. What does she really felt for him? And yet, she couldn't really answer it. Maybe time will tell the answer. But now, she needs her sleep. As she slept, smiled mischievously to herself thinking she just bothered Gary's sleep.

Maybe she'll do it again.

************************************************************************************

The next day.

 

*Doorbell rings*

Still in her slumber the doorbell woke Ji-hyo up. She gave a big huff as she rise from her bed. "Can't a girl get some sleep? Yah!! it's my day off, just give me a break," Ji-hyo scratched her head wildly as she drags he feet to the door.

"Anyeong  Ji-hyo ....... wow...........still asleep?" Eon-hye and Jong-kook stood at her apartment door as she opened them, carrying some groceries.

Ji-hyo yawns. "What time is it?" she motioned the couple to enter. Jong-kook and Eun-hye went to the kitchen and put the stuffs they carry on the countertop.

"Eleven. Said you wanted to see us. Don't you remember?" Eun-hye looked at Jihyo who is still in a sleepy state. It took a couple of second for Ji-hyo to remember her appointment with the couple. She mildly shook her head.

"Ne. you wanted to learn how to make traditional miyeokguk (seaweed soup). Now, go and clean yourself first, your lesson starts soon," Jong-kook pushed Ji-hyo back to her room.

While waiting for Ji-hyo, Jong-kook helped Eun-hye setting up the ingredients. He opened the fridge and shook his head."Yah, this girl really needs to start eating healthy. All she have is packets of ramen and frozen foods,"

"Oppa, she wanted to learn to cook from us. It's a start right?" Eun-hye unpacked the meat she bought. She looked around for the kitchen knife and cutting board.

  "It's kind of a sudden request, but it's a start. Here, be careful Eun-hye yah, it's sharp. You want me to cut them for you? Maybe we should have ordered the butcher to cut them first right? Have I told you to be careful? "  Jong-kook blabbers as he passed her a knife. Smiling, she cupped her hands on Jong-kook's cheeks. Like a charm, it made him stumble his words . "You're cute with that worried face. Don't worry too much oppa,"

"Should I leave you two alone?" already changed, Ji-hyo stood behind the couple watching them in amusement. As she jumped and sat on the countertop, she grabbed  an apple and took a bite. Couple of weeks ago, her 'spying operation' at Jong-kook and Eun-hye didn't end successfully as she thought. Eun-hye saw both of them crawling out of the bushes  exiting the park. The next day Jong-kook made them promise to keep his and Eun-hye's relationship a secret. And since then the couple has been a close friend to Ji-hyo and Gary.

"I can go out for a few hours if you need some privacy," Ji-hyo continued her tease.

Smirking, Jong-kook passed Ji-hyo an empty bowl and a pack of seaweed. "Don't get ridiculous. Now, go wash and soak this.  Remember,to give it some time to soften. While waiting, you can help Eun-hye with the meat," Ji-hyo gave Jong-kook a mock salute and proceed to do as he ordered. Finished with the seaweed, she is now standing next to Eun-hye  helping her cutting the meat. Ji-hyo followed every step of instructions by Jong-kook closely.  Enjoying his job to give someone instructions, Jong-kook  can get too commanding . This is when Eun-hye will step in to gently touch his cheek, flustering The Commander. Seeing their interactions made ji-hyo's cooking session entertaining.

"Suddenly you're interested in cooking. Something's up?" Ji-hyo turned her head hearing Jong-kook's question.

"Nothing. Why?"

"Just curious. Now, put the meat inside the pot. Then, we wait for a while," Jong-kook cleaned his hand and took a seat at the couch. Ji-hyo sat at the singles couch, picking up her tablet. Eun-hye sat next to Jong-kook and turned the television on. Ji-hyo's finger kept fiddling on the the tablet, answering e-mails and reading the news. After a couple of minutes, an online news attracted her attention; a music festival which happened last week. Leessang was part of the lineup performing there. She opened the attached clip. She watched at the duo's performance, full of interest and smiling. But halfway through the clips, she frowned. The camera angle shifted to the audiences and shows Jessica sitting at the front row, smiling and waving at the camera.

*What is she doing there? Are SNSD part of the performers? If so, why didn't she be preparing backstage?*

 Jong-kook and Eun-hye, seeing her reaction silently walked behind Ji-hyo and leaned forward to see what made her react that way. Ji-hyo is still intently watching the clip not realizing the couple behind her. Seeing the clip, he let out a small laugh.

His laugh startled the concentrating Ji-hyo." Yah, what's with the pout?" Jong-kook asked. She hurriedly close the video clip, pretending nothing happened. With a knowing look, Jong kook patted her head, intentionally ruffling her hair. She let out a small huff.

"Ji-hyo eonni, is everything alright ?" Ji-hyo's reaction piqued Eun-hye's interest.

Jong-kook held Eun-hye's hand pulling her gently leading her to the couch. Still looking at Ji-hyo, Jong-kook raised his eyebrow smirking ."I think someone's a bit jealous,"

"Huh?What? Ani (no)!!! Jealous?  Pfft.....Why?" Ji-hyo mumbled incoherently. "The clip not clear enough  and the camera's shaky. Couldn't see much," Ji-hyo quickly put down her tablet and stood up, her face is showing a visible blush. "I'm going to check on the soup,"

*Are you having fun out there Mr. Gary? You should be right? Maybe Jessica is spoon feeding you right now. Well, I'm going to finish this soup myself then. *  Stirring the soup, Ji-hyo pouts .

 *Yes, this is your favourite. And no, Im not going to let you taste it. Ask Jessica to cook for you then!!* Ji-hyo huffed as she closed the lit of the pot.

*************************************************************************************

Meanwhile, Leessang studio

"Gary-ah, are you hungry?" Gil asked from his table.Gary nods weakly from his table.  "You want the guys from the restaurant to send us something?" Gil asked again.

"Like we have a choice. Aish..............I'm craving for a home cooked meal.  It would be nice if a girl would cook for us," whined Gary ,reclining his work chair.

"Yeah, you wish," Gil deadpanned, picking up the phone.

Looks like they are having takeouts again today.

*************************************************************************************

"Thank you oppa, Eun-hye," Ji-hyo bowed as the couple leave. Both Eun-hye and Jong-kook are going to see another friend, so they can only accompany Ji-hyo until noon.   Jong-kook patted her shoulder and smiled. "You, take care of yourself.  Your fridge, fill it with more fresh food, "

"Sure," Ji-hyo rolled her eyes.

"Okay, we are leaving now. Anyeong," said Jong-kook. " Take care eonnie," Eun-hye hugged Ji-hyo tightly and whispered to Ji Hyo "Eonnie, I know Gary oppa isn't your boyfriend, but if you can feel jealous , it means you really like him, " . Seeing Ji-hyo's flushed face, Eun-Hye winked.

 As the couple leave her apartment, Ji-hyo closed the door and returned to sump herself on the couch. She rubbed her face softly, staring at her kitchen. There are still some leftovers on the dining table. Her sight then shifted to her tablet on the table. Remembering the clip she just watched, she pouts again.  "No Kang Gary, you are not tasting my cooking. Not yet,"

 

 

 

Note

Sorry for late posting. Been swamped with work. It's been a hectic couple of weeks since we are nearing the end of 2014. And workload doubled because of this. Again.....Apologies. I'm imagining this chapter happened during the winter with a bit of focus on Jihyo . I also Imagined she ended her relationship in a peaceful manner(they are both adults right?) and were kept secret for a long time.  And the next chapter will happen around HaHa's wedding. So I hope you like this chapter. All comments are appreciated. Thank you for your time. ( head bowed in appreciation)