Chapter 7: Studio,Restaurant,Stalls

Mondays to Mondays

Leessang's Studio.

Afternoon

Gary's finger trailed one the words written on the pages of the book he is holding. Every word he reads he will say it in a clear voice. Gil who is seated across him is already snoring using the dictionary as a makeshift pillow.

"Oppa, read that line again,"  Jessica who is seated between them at the studio table interrupted Gary's reading. She put down the magazine she's reading. "Now repeat after me......,"

It's been nearly a month since Gary received his spine correction treatment. Now feeling better than before, he doubles his daily routine and took lots of activity to cure his boredom. After getting offers to do shows at America this year, he felt compelled  to fix his English. He can read them but he needs improvement for pronunciations . American born Jessica offered to help them during her free time.

"Do I have to finish this book by today? It's a bit thick Sica. See, Gil couldn't take it anymore," Gary whined  while pointing at already passed out Gil. He threw his pen at Gil. No response. Jessica shrugged her shoulders. "It's a teenage novel oppa. It's not that hard. I'll tell you when we are done. Now, continue," assert Jessica as she continued reading her magazine.

"Yes, teacher," Gary's mockery earned a glare from Jessica.

"You're scary, Sica," moaned Gary, his face scrunched while reading the book.

"Anyeong, Gary oppa, you've got visitor," entering the studio is Jung-in . Ji-hyo trailed her from behind.

Seeing Ji-hyo at the door Jessica quickly leave the table and paced towards Ji-hyo. Jessica presence here surprised Ji-hyo.

"Eonni , anyeong !!!" Jessica bowed before lunging herself and hugged Ji-hyo tightly. "It's nice to see you  eonni!! It's been too long!!! " Jessica  released her hug but still holding Ji-hyo's hands.

"It's nice to see you too Sica," Ji-hyo retained her composure as she looked over Jessica's shoulder and saw teary eyed Kang Gary yawning. "Oppa, did I interrupt anything?"

" Anyeong Ji-hyo yah, I'm being held at detention class," Gary waved weakly from the table. Jessica glared at him again making him flinch and turned his head to the book . Gil is still in his slumber with puddle of drool forming under him.  Jung-in who is now at the studio's PC shrugged her shoulder looking at the duo and continued her work.

"I'm on the way home from shooting and happened to pass by here. I thought of stopping for a while to see how you've been. What's happening here?" Ji-hyo  is still processing the scene in front of her .

"I'm helping Gary oppa in his English. In return, he'll help improving  our song  samples," Jessica pulled Ji-hyo to the nearby couch and sat with her. Looks like Jessica is been meaning to see Ji-hyo for a while. Unknowingly, Gary stole a glance at Ji-hyo who is having a chat with Jessica.   Both chatted for a while before Ji-hyo turned her attention to Kang Gary.

"Kang Gary, how are you today? Are your spine getting better?" out of concern Ji-hyo asked Kang Gary.

 "I'm cleared for next shooting. Since you're here, I felt much better Ji-hyo yah," 

"Always a sweet talker, Kang Gary"

"You like it ,right?"

"Ani (no)," Ji-hyo shook her head in amusement.

."Liar," Gary pouted before turning his view to Jessica. "Ah, Sica,I almost forgot. I've checked the sample you gave me, made some suggestion notes  for you,"

"Really oppa? That's fast,"

"Here, let me show you. I've made another file with my altercations on rapping part. Let's have a look," Gary motioned Jessica to his workstation. He handed her a headphone and played the file he stored. Jessica is giving full attention to the music played while Gary who is beside her is pointing to the mixer programmers on the monitor explaining something. Sometimes his fingers would be fiddling the soundboard  operating it expertly. Everything said by Gary would be replied by an interested nod by Jessica.

Seated at the couch, Ji-hyo watched the pair being immersed in their work. She knew for a long time that Gary made his own music, she's seen his concerts before. But this would be the first time she see him working behind the scenes, doing arrangement and all.. Seeing him in his element, the focused look and the way his fingers work on the soundboard really opened her eyes. This is the side of Kang Gary she has never seen before. And this side piqued her interest. She could say it really turned her on.

Her eyes then shifted to Jessica standing beside Gary. Wearing the headphone, sometimes she would do a little dance like finding a fitting dance move to the sound she's hearing. Then she would bend down and looked at the arrangements shown by Gary. She couldn't really capture the conversation between them since it is technical, but from the tone of the two, it sounds engaging. Something inside her tugged her heart seeing the pair, suggesting her to just barge in and stand between them separating the two. Or just put her hands on the volume control and turn it to the max.

"Here, have a drink," Jung-in took a seat beside her and handed a cup of coffee. Ji-hyo took it thankfully and have a nice long sip, taking her mind off the urge she just felt. Jung-in smiled and patted Ji-hyo's free hand. "Don't worry, that is how Gary oppa is with music. He would be like that when working. I've worked with him for years. That's just how he is,"

Ji-hyo nodded but her eyes are still fixed at Gary and Jessica at the workstation.

"He might be sitting next to Jessica but he didn't forget about you. Hey, he  stole a glance at you just now, so don't worry," Jung-in continues. Ji-hyo's face turned a shade of red. "Huh?How? I....I.... didn't say I was worried. Just interested in what they are talking about," Ji-hyo tried to defend herself.

"If you say so. but really,it's okay. There's nothing wrong feeling what you feel. I know, I'm a women too," Jung-in said as she continued her drink.

A few minute later Gary stood up and handed Jessica an envelope. "Notes and thumb drive are inside. You can check it with your production team, no need for credits, it's a fun project anyway,"

"Kamsahabnida(thank you) oppa, looks like I have to leave now. I have to fetch Krystal. She should be finishing her training soon," Jessica grabbed her jacket and checked her phone.

"Say hi to Krystal for me,"

Jessica smiled as she waved at Gary. She spins on her heels and walks towards Ji-hyo. "Eonni, It's nice to see you. Let's have a drink sometimes," She handed her card to Ji-hyo , gave her a hug and waved goodbye at her and Jung-in before taking her leave.

 Ji-hyo glanced at Gary who is standing next to her with a small pout. Gary replied with a look of confusion.

 

*************************************************************************************

Night

"Your main course sir, madam," the waiter bowed and proceed to serve dinner. Plates of western steaks were placed neatly in front of Ji-hyo and her boyfriend Baek Chang-joo, both properly dressed for the night. Finished serving, the waiter bowed before leaving the couple. Both were seated at a corner table reserved away from other costumers. It's their customary date night for Ji-hyo and Chang-joo. They will make sure to have a dinner date at least once a week.With her finger holding a fork, she mindlessly played with her dinner. She haven't had any food for a couple of hours, but she doesn't seem interested at her food at all.

"Ji-hyo ya, are you alright? You're not eating,"

"Just tired and a little headache oppa. Didn't catch much sleep this couple of days. Memorizing scripts and all," Ji-hyo forced herself to cut the dinner in front of her into tiny pieces and eat slowly.

"I understand. You have lots of projects to follow.How about we'll call it a night after dinner okay?" said Chang-joo.

"So, how is your day oppa?" trying not to worry him Ji-hyo tried to start a conversation. It's their usual talk. Chang-joo's business, her work and some bits about their lives. But during their talk, she is thinking about something else. Something about their relationship. A couple of months before, she could finally live the life she wanted. She found a man that gave her a spark full of life for her.She choose him and they made their relationship public. She thought she could give her full commitment to the man she choose by doing so. She doesn't mind what the public says as long as she could live her life with him. He is a kind man after all. She was sure she was making the right decision about her life.

But now her head are filled with doubts. Couple of months and the spark  starts to wane slowly. She still couldn't share all of herself with the man in front of him. She looked around at the fancy setting of the restaurant, to sharply dressed Chang-joo and finally at her lap. She's even wearing a designer night gown for the night. All of this now felt out of place for her. She doesn't feel like herself anymore.

Their dinner ended nearly two hours later. Chang-joo offered to send her home, but she insisted on taking a cab instead. Defeated, Chang-joo hailed a cab for her and both said their goodnights. Inside the cab he let her mind drifted away with a thousand and one thoughts. And Just as the cab moved, hunger struck her.

*************************************************************************************

Leesang Studio.

"Gil, I'm hungry. I'm craving  tteokbokki (spicy rice cakes) now. Want to join me?" Gary asked as they closed their studio for the night.

"Ani(no). I'm full. Just want to have some sleep . You go on ahead,"

"Okay then, see you tomorrow," Gary proceeded to his car and drove leaving the area. He could go to his restaurant, or bother Do-young took him something, but right now he really craves some street food.Something oily,spicy with nice cold drink. That thought made him drool.  And he knew just the place full of stall selling them.

The drive took about twenty minutes and he can see the roadside filled with small stalls. He put on his cap and jacket(it's really cold tonight) and went to one of the stalls. After getting his food, he walked around the area enjoying the view . Something about the cold air accompanied with smell of spicy food made him feel energized tonight.

 He was walking for a couple of minutes when his attention suddenly diverted to a familiar figure at an odeng(fish cake) stall. He knew he couldn't be mistaken and he knew it is Song Ji-hyo. Still wearing a night dress, she is standing there picking odeng. He silently made his way behind her.

"You sure know how to dress for the occasion Song Ji-hyo," Gary's remark startled Ji-hyo and she spin around facing Gary with is still chewing the odeng. Gary smiled seeing the cute expression of her.

"Kang Gary! You really surprised me, what are you doing here?"

"Well I'm the one who should ask that. I'm thinking of having some midnight snacks," Gary stared at Ji-hyo from head to toe before stopping his gaze at her chest area. 

"Yah, don't stare too long. I didn't eat much during dinner date. Care to join me?" she asked. Wearing the dress made her stand out and she could feel the stares around her . At least with Gary keeping her company she wouldn't feel awkward.

" Sure. Wear this. It's cold tonight, and you wouldn't look out of place wearing this," Gary took off his jacket and put it around Ji-hyo's shoulder. He also placed his cap on her head. "Now, it's perfect," Gary grinned. Ji-hyo lifted the collar around her cheek to hide the sudden blush . She dont know why, maybe because she could smell Gary's aftershave potruding from his jacket.  Both of them walked from stalls to stalls filling their hearts content with food. As Gary expected, Ji-hyo wasn't shy to eat a lot. Finally at the end of the area they found a children's park.

 "Ji-hyo yah, let's rest our legs there," Gary pointed to one of the benches. She agreed and now both sat side by side. Gary handed her a can of soda he just bought.

 "Now, I'm really full," Ji-hyo said after having a long gulp of her drink.

"You said you had a dinner date. How can you eat little that time?" Gary could tell who she was with when she mentions dinner date, but tried not to make it bother him.

"I don't know...... didn't feel like it at the time," Ji-hyo said as she looked up to the night sky. She also didn't want to bring up her boyfriend in front of Gary. They have a chat for a while. A nice chat without any pause or thinking about what to answer. And sitting next to Gary having hawker foods gave a different feeling  for Ji-hyo compared to an expensive dinner date she just have with her boyfriend at the restaurant. They didn't even touch but  she felt a slow but constant warmth when being with Gary. 

"Oppa, can I ask you something?" Ji-hyo turned her head to Gary.

"Sure, shoot away,"

"During the time I broke our love line, what do you feel?" she looked straight at his eyes.

"A lot.Sad, confused , out of breath. Lots of stuff,"

"Anger?" Ji-hyo cut in.

"No. No anger at all," Gary's face is serene as he faced the night sky.

" You're honest right? You're not angry at all? Why?" Ji-hyo tilted her head to her side. 

"Ani(no). I thought at that time, it's your wish. And I'm not turning that down," Gary scratched his cheek. "Besides, i could never be angry at you," Gary was about to ramble on but he stopped there. 

"And why you could never be angry at me?" Ji-hyo tried to pry further. She had a feeling that Gary is keeping something.

"I don't know how to put it in words Ji-hyo yah. Maybe I could never be angry at you because you're you. You're Song Ji-Hyo and Kang Gary would never do that to Song Ji-hyo," Gary gave his best answer without revealing much.

*Because Kang Gary really loved Song Ji-hyo*

"So if I do this you would never be angry at me?" J-hyo suddenly pinched both of Gary's cheek with her hands. 

"I wouldn't be angry, but it doesnt mean I will stay quiet if you do that Ji-hyo yah," Gary retaliate by pulling both of her ears. Both laughed and released their grips moments later.

"Thank you Kang Gary," said Jihyo suddenly. Gary turned to her with a questioning look. "Thank you for making my day. Thank you for being here with me. Thank you for being you,"

"Wow, so many thank you. You dont have to say that ," said Gary.

Their conversation went on and on laced with some occasional laughter. Their small dinner together ended as the clock struck 1 am. Gary hailed a cab for the already tired Ji-hyo. As she was about to enter the cab, Ji-hyo handed back Gary's cap.

"I'm holding this jacket for a while. It's really cold tonight oppa, Anyeong," said Ji-hyo while smiling sweetly to Gary.

"Sure, see you later Ji-hyo yah," Gary waved as the cab started to move. Inside the cab, Ji-hyo pulled the jacket's collar to her face and leaned to the side. His scent made her feel calm as she closed her eyes on the way home.

 

 

Note. The idea for this chapter came while I was having midnight snack with a friend. Took awhile to put words into this chapter  but finally...... Again all comments are welcomed. It really made me smile reading all your comments. Thank you for reading this chapter (Heads bowed 90 degrees)