Chapter 5 :Phone,Pillows,Hugs

Mondays to Mondays

"It's the best view here. Both of you, enjoy the view. I have to check the caterings. Nice to meet you by the way. See you later Ji-hyo,"

 

Last words Ji-hyo heard from Gary that night. It should be his night. It should be their time on the balcony. but Baek Chang-joo's presence changed everything. The changed expression of Gary's  when Chang-joo's arm wrapped around her waist told her everything. Try as he may , he couldn't hide the fact how broken he is as he disappeared into the crowd.

"Are you okay?" asked Chang-joo . "I'm  alright oppa, I'm going inside ," Ji-hyo released Chang-joo's grasp as she made her way inside, hoping she could catch up to Kang Gary.

Inside, she looked around the hall, trying to catch the  sign of him inside the dancing crowd, but failed. She made a beeline towards  Gil across the hall who is talking to a large guy and tapped Gil's back frantically, startling Gil.

"Oppa, I'm looking for Kang Gary. Did you know where he is?"

"He left," the man facing Gil suddenly answered. Ji-hyo looked at the large man who have a serious expression on his face. "Food poisoning," said the man as he left abruptly and went to the wine table. "That is Gary's cousin," explained Gil. "Sorry Ji-hyo, I have to attend the guests. Looks like I have to handle it myself,"  explained Gil as he leave Ji-hyo.

The way back home was filled with silence. Not in the mood for a conversation with Chang-joo, Ji-hyo pretended to be asleep . She turned her head to the side and let her mind drifted to the moment at the balcony. She could see the joy in his eyes when she approached him there. The amused look on him when she gave him a sad face. It was only for less than five minutes, but she can feel the feeling that has been lost a couple of months ago . And she longed for that feeling. 

And when Chang-joo entered the frame, it's gone. Kang Gary returned to his awkward, distant self. And that sad, pained face haunted her now.

"Ji-hyo, we're here," Chang-joo's voice stopped her thoughts. Saying her goodbye, she paced hurriedly to her apartment and dialed Gary's number as she opened the door.

No answer.

Now in her bedroom, she hit redial.

No answer.

Biting her lips, she texted him.

To: Kang Gary,

Kang Gary, you left early. Are you alright?

Ji-hyo

Ji-hyo put down her cell phone. Her eyes kept glancing at the device hoping for a reply as she  changed her clothes. As she lie down, she checked her phone. Still nothing. Now sitting on her bed with her arms around her legs, she kept staring at her phone. She tried to redial again.

No answer.

A feeling of frustration crept inside. She sent a text again. she glanced at the clock on the nightstand. 2.00 am

To: Kang Gary

Kang Gary .Can you answer me? I know it's a bit late.....but can we talk a bit?

Ji-hyo

She sighed as she put her phone to the side. Now rocking back and forth while hugging her legs, she stared at the wall blankly. After five minutes, she picked her phone up again and hid redial. Still no answer. The silence of her phone is deeply troubling her. Again and again, she hit redial, hoping for just one time, she can hear his voice. But, as the clock started to hit 4.00 in the morning, she started to have a rollercoaster ride of a feeling. Worry, anger and longing. And her eyes are getting watery.

" Ji-hyo yah, sure you can talk to me. I can always make time for you,"

Now, Kang Gary's words is playing inside her head.

"Kang Gary, you promised you can always talk to me. I want to talk to you now. You promised . I want to hear your voice now. Where are you? Do you hate me? Kang Gary, I think.....I missed you," she her voice cracked as she mumbled to herself, fingers on the redial icon.

*************************************************************************************

The Next Day

Piastra Calda  

A nudge on Gary's back woke him up. He turned around and saw Do-Young standing with his leg still giving him a small kick. "Okay, okay , I'm awake , thank you very much,"

"Still a late riser huh? " Said grinning Do-young as he give him a final nudge with his leg. A slightly annoyed Gary stood up and stretched his back."What time is it?"

"Near twelve, go and clean yourself. Wash room at the back. There's some fresh towel there," said Do-young as he turned around and entered the kitchen.

A small stinging pain made Gary looked at his hands. He can see some bruises formed on his knuckles. Apart from some pain, it's nothing serious. He reached for the first aid kit provided and wrapped his knuckles with some cloth bandages.

A smell of freshly brewed coffee caught Gary's nose as he walked out to the front. Do-young is there talking to a thin-framed woman wearing a chef's uniform.  He diverted his attention to Gary. "How much did you drink last night?"Asked Do-young.

"In here? Not a drip. Thanks for that decaf last night, I slept like a log," Gary took a seat beside Do-young. He pulled out his cell phone and realized it was in silent mode last night. He checked his phone. Lots of missed calls and texts. Most of it from Ji-hyo. He clenched his teeth a little and slide it back inside his pocket.*Ill check the texts later*

"Really? Decaf? Did you made that Eun Hwan?" Do-young turned his head to the women behind him. "Ne, seonsaengnim (sir) . Double dose on warm milk on decaf. To induce sleep," the woman replied. "Well, Gamsahabnida(thank you). It really helped," Said Gary in gratitude. She bowed in reply and pointed to a big cup of steaming black coffee. "I've made espresso for both of you. Seonsaengnim, I'm going inside to prep the kitchen," Eun Hwan gave another bow to both of them before returning to kitchen. Do-young continued his work checking the accounts log before realizing Gary is staring at him.
"What?"
"So that's your assistant hyung?" 
" Ne. Like I said quite skilled in coffee stuffs. And what's with the stare?" Do-young now felt uncomfortable.
 "At last, you allow a lady in your kitchen," Gary picked up his cup and took a sip.
 "And what do you mean by that?" Do-young asked.
"Nothing," Gary grinned as he continued to enjoy his not-morning coffee.
They both sat in silence for a while. Do-young knowing what happened last night decided not to ask too much for now. 
Finally finishing his coffee, Gary stood up and speak. "Hyung, I'm thinking of going out of town for a couple of weeks,"
"Clearing your head?"
 Gary nods.
"Well, if you need anything, you know where to find me," Do-young stood up and patted Gary's back.
"I know, gamsahabnida(thank you) hyung,"

 
******************************************************************************

Gary's apartment.

When Gary arrived at his apartment, he have plans in his head to change his clothes,  pack up his travel bag and leave quickly. Maybe spend a few weeks out of town. Where? Anywhere but here. What he didn't expect was seeing Song Ji-hyo standing outside ringing his door while he's packing. Now there she is seated at the couch in front of him, arms crossed and stared at him in silence.

*She's never been here before. How did she know where I live?*

"I'll get you some drinks," Gary rise from his seat and opened the fridge. He had contrasting feelings inside now. As much as he wanted to stay away from her , he couldn't help feeling happy seeing her in front of him.

"Kang Gary, you left early last night," Ji-hyo finally spoke in a calm tone.

"Ne(yes). I had a headache last night. Need to lie down a bit," Gary continues rummaging through the fridge debating with himself to serve either mineral water or cola.

Thud!!

Gary felt something soft bounced off his head. It's his pillow. He turned to his back his eyes grew wide as he sees Ji-hyo now standing up and holding another small pillow.

"Liar. Your cousin told us you had food poisoning," said Ji-hyo, her tone still unchanged. She threw another pillow at Gary which he blocked with his left arm.

"Ji-hyo yah, it's nothing ok? I....." another pillow flew to Gary. Gary managed to dodge it but he didn't anticipate a flying book follow through. This one hits him squarely on his head.

*She's good.  Lucky me it's not a dictionary*

"Not a big deal? You left early, you didn't answer my call or my text whole night!" Ji-hyo's tone are getting a bit louder but sadder.

"Mianhe (sorry)  Ji-hyo yah. Phone's on silent before I slept. Didn't want anyone to bother me last night," for some reason, Gary's answer rile Ji-hyo up. He received another flying pillow to his face.

"Bothering you?!! Am I bothering you Kang Gary?!!" Ji-hyo marched towards Gary with  her finger pointed to Gary's travel bag."And what's with the bag? You let me sleepless worrying about you and now you are planning to leave? Do you want to leave me?" she is now standing face to face with Gary. Her voice softened and her eyes are getting teary. "It's hard to get close to you Kang Gary. Every time I'm near you, you'd just leave. For months and months you would just stay as far as you can from me. I know it sounds weird, but I can't get used to be far from you. I want you to be near me,"

Gary slowly held Ji-hyo's shoulder and guided her to the couch. He kneeled in front of her while Ji-hyo is still whimpering with her face looking down.

*Oh my god. She cried. And I thought I'm the only one hurting.*

Slowly he hugged her tightly and the back of her head. "Do you mean what you said Song Ji-hyo? Do you really want me to be near you? "

"Ne oppa, It may sound selfish, but  please stay close to me, I really missed you," her muffled voice can be hear d from Gary's shoulder.

Gary took a deep breath and asked "You want me to stay close to you as a friend? I can do that. Couldn't bear to see you cry you know,"

"Ani(no), stay close to me as Kang Gary. The warm and affectionate Kang Gary, I missed that Kang Gary,"

*Looks like I can't escape her. Leaving her will hurt her more than I thought.*

Gary smiled. "Song Ji-hyo, I'll give you that Kang Gary, now look at me," Gary loosen the hug and tried to lift her face. "For as long as you need, Kang Gary will stick close to you okay," Ji-hyo nodded and smiled. "Kang Gary, you made me cry. My make-up is ruined," she gave him a small pout.

"Didn't notice that. Hey, I've seen you covered in mud. You're still beautiful Ji-hyo yah," said Gary grinning to cheer her up.

"You and your cheesy line. And I missed that," laughed Ji-hyo as she wiped her tears. "Thank you,"

"Always my pleasure," both continued their embrace. Ji-hyo can feel the warmth of Gary's hands behind her. And it really soothes her.

"Ji-hyo yah, where did you get my apartment's address?" Gary asked full of curiosity.

"Your studio. I asked Gil oppa," Ji-hyo answered. "By the way, I saw Jessica there. Brought some presents from Japan," Gary didn't see it, but Ji-hyo's mouth pouted for a while.

"She's a good girl," Gary replied absent-mindedly. Ji-hyo gave him a glare and a small punch. Gary laughed at her response.

*Song Ji-hyo. You missed the Kang Gary that adores you. You know what, that Kang Gary missed Song Ji-hyo too* 

 

 

 

To be continued

 

 

 

Note:

Having trouble with my internet connection for a couple of days. But finally it's up. So here goes...........Thank you for the comment regarding Leessang's album launch. I'm a bit new to write about Korean  scene, so comments are really appreciated.It really helps me as a newbie here. Again, for anyone who subscribe,reads and comments my story, thank you very much (Heads bowed 90 degrees)