Chapter 3: Day off, Starfish, Eggs

Mondays to Mondays

 

                "Come on Gil, you can't just ban me. I'll be at studio soon," Gary has just finished his shower and packed some spare clothes when he received a call from Gil. Gil banned him from work for one day.

"No way. This is the first time in three days you stepped out of the studio. In these two weeks you practically live at studio. It's too much Gary. I'm locking you out," Gil's voice can be heard even without speakerphone .

"But album's launch is next week. I have to recheck everything," Gary tried to plead.

"Ane, we've sent the master copy to print , remember?  Its complete. No more altercations,"

"How about the launch party? Someone needs to handle the invitation, refreshments, everything .Let me do it,"

"Jung-in is helping us arranging that. Anything you can check with her tomorrow," Gil replied.

Gary scratched his head. He's not going to do nothing today. "Well, I can check our restaurants today. See if anything needs to be done,"

"Not happening. I've told the staffs to block you out today. Promised a bonus if they managed to do that today,"

"You're good Gil," Gary said with a frown.

"I know. Do anything for yourself today. Get some fresh air, sleep, anything. Forget about work today. I can handle it. Don't bother sneaking in, I'll throw you out myself," Not waiting for any reply, Gil hung up.

Ruffling his own hair, Gary gave a huge sigh. He dragged himself to the bedroom and dived on his bed. He knew Gil means well. He's been pushing himself too hard nowadays. Sleeping at studio and eating take-outs for too long is not healthy for him. That's why Gil have to put a stop to it. His partner is looking out for him, and he have to thank Gil later.

* Now, how do I spend 1 day without working?*

*************************************************************************************

                Gary took a nap, do his laundry, eat, and took a nap again. When he looks at his watch, he realized only 3 hours past. He needs to do something. Or at least be somewhere outside.  The silence in his apartment would jog back his memories . Memories of happiness and sadness. And it would drive him crazy. So he put on a pair of black jeans ,black collared shirt and his cap. After giving much of thought , he decided to visit a shopping mall. With HaHa and Jong-kook busy with their work he's going there alone.Maybe by wandering around this area, he could shave off a few hours.

COEX Mall, Gangnam.

Since its a weekday afternoon, this underground mall isn't crowded as usual. Gary looked around and entered the first place he could think off; a record store. After picking up some vintage records and a couple of English movies (a good way to learn the foreign language for him), he walked around aimlessly. Sometimes he will be stopped by some fans asking for autographs or to take pictures with them. Gladly, he complied. After half an hour of walking (he bought some eggs while he passed by a convenience store) he reached the food court. More out of boredom than thirst, he ordered macchiato at one of the booths. He has just received his drink  someone tap on his shoulder.

"Gary oppa!!!!!" an excited  voice can be heard as he turned around. Standing behind him are the Jung sisters, Jessica and Krystal. "Ah, Anyeong," Gary greeted.

"Gary oppa!!!!!!!!"  Much to Gary's surprise, Jessica squealed and  launched herself forward to him and wrapped herself round Gary's right arm tightly. "Oppa !!! What are you doing here?! It's great to see you!!"

"Well, nice to see you too Sica. Coffee is hot by the way," said the now red-faced Gary while desperately trying to balance his hot macchiato with his left hand and the screaming Jessica on his right. After a few minutes of impromptu balancing act Jessica finally let go of his arm much to Gary's relief. Krystal can only stare wide eyed at the scene.

" Oppa, I believe you never met my sister Soo Jung yet," still bouncing, Jessica pulled Krystal nearer. "Anyeong-haseyo oppa," Krystal politely bowed. "Anyeong-haseyo Krystal. Wow, you are prettier in person," the younger Jung sibling smiled shyly at Gary's remark. "Oppa, it's been a while since we met. How are you?" Jessica asked. "Ne(yes), 7 to 8 months I think," the last time they met was when SNSD were guests on Running Man.

"What are you doing here oppa, are you on a date or something?" Jessica asked with eyebrows raised. "Not really . Actually Gil kicked me out of studio. Told me to take a day off. Thought I could pass the time here. Now after buying some records and eggs I'm in a blur thinking what to do next," explained Gary while pointing at the table with his stuffs. The siblings looked at the table and then at each other. Suddenly, Jessica's face brightens. " So no plans huh oppa? For whole day? Daebakk (great)!!!" looking at Gary she continues " It's our day off. Why don't you join us? We're going window shopping. At least it's better than walking around alone , right oppa?"

 After giving some thought Gary shrugged his shoulder." Sure. Sounds like a plan,"

*Accompanying these two girls around? Why not?* Gary thought to himself.

3 hours later

* Why am I agreeing to this? * Right now Gary is half regretting his decision.* Following two girls window shopping is much more tiring than ten rounds of boxing*

It amazes him how energetic the siblings at each clothing store. It's like their energy is fully recharged whenever they see another. They even coaxed him to buy two jackets, three caps and a pair of leather shoes for himself. Right now he's sprawled on a bench , too tired to walk, waiting for the pair in front of an accessories shop.

*So, this is store number 14.Wow* Gary thought to himself.  Though tired, he's could still smile looking at the two siblings trying on earrings . "Oppa, how do I look?" Jessica asked from the shop's entrance. Gary could only give a tired thumbs up. A moment later both of them exited the shop.

" I think these should be enough,"  Jessica said while holding her shopping bags. "Eonnie (sister), lets visit the aquarium nearby," Krystal gave her suggestion. The mall also housed a large aquarium for visitors.Jessica nodded and looked at Gary. "Sure, anything other than this," Gary said giving another thumbs up. Jessica gave him a glare.

" Gary oppa, Soo-jung ! They allow us to touch the starfish. Let's go!!!," Jessica beamed excitedly and paced quickly to the display. "Go ahead, I'll join you later. Oppa wants to sit for a while," Gary answered while arranging the shopping bags beside the visitor's bench.  As he sits, he noticed Krystal didn't follow her sister. "Are you tired? You can sit here for a while," Krystal took a seat beside Gary. Both of them looked at Jessica trying to brave herself touching the starfish. She can be seen giving a ticklish giggle  while touching the creature. "Where did she get all the energy?" Gary mumbled to himself. Krystal laughed hearing his exclaim. She turned to his side. "Oppa, gamsahabnida(thank you)," Krystal said slowly.

 "Hmmm?" Gary turned and looked at Krystal, confused. "You're welcome?" Gary's look made Krystal gave a small laugh."Well, thank you for accompanying us. I can see you looked tired but yet you're still here. Actually eonni is feeling down this couple of weeks. I planned to cheer her by bringing her here, but it doesn't really work until we met you. Now I can see she's being herself again,"

"Is something wrong?" Gary's expression turned serious."Workload. With music practices, concerts, travelling and fan meets the burden is getting heavier. Usually eonni is the stronger one, cheering me up when these loads gets to my head. But recently a personal problem hit her too close. She's depressed, and I don't know what to do. So, thank you oppa, It means a lot to me," Krystal bowed in gratitude.

 "It's okay Krystal, oppa didn't do much anyway," Gary sheepishly scratched behind his neck. "Well, sometimes the little things to us means a lot to others oppa," Krystal  replied.

"Soo-jung, Gary oppa, come here!!! The starfish is amazingly squishy!!!," Jessica yelled calling now holding a starfish with both of her hands and looked at it in amazement. "Coming eonni!!!" Krystal ran to her sister and Gary followed through."Yah!!! Sica!! You can't keep them in your handbag. Put it back!!"

After spending some time at the aquarium, they are now at the parking lot. Gary helped the siblings putting their shopping bags inside the trunk of Jessica's car. "All done," Gary exclaimed."It's fun hanging out with you oppa, Gamsahabnida," Jessica said while giving Gary a warm hug. Gary could feel his cheeks reddened. " Gamsahabnida, oppa," Krystal gave a short bow. "It's okay, really, I also should thank you both. It's been an interesting day, " Gary said while laughing boisterously .Both took their seats and Jessica rolled down the driver's window. "So, if we have time, can we hang out with you again oppa?" Jessica asked expectantly. Gary nodded and hand her his business card. "Sure, just call me, okay?" Jessica nodded and smiled. "Now drive safe okay? Anyeong  Sica, Krystal," Gary said while giving a light pat at the door "You too oppa, drive safe. Anyeong,"

*************************************************************************************

Jessica's car zoomed past the highway. Krystal is sitting at the passenger seat looking half-asleep. "Eonnie," Krystal called her sister. Jessica glanced for awhile at Krystal before refocusing on the road."Yes Soo-jung?"

"Gary oppa sure is nice guy, right?" Jessica smiled at her sister's remark. "Ne, Soo-jung. He's a warmhearted guy. He can make people smile," said Jessica with her eyes fixated on the road, still smiling. "That's one way to describe it .It's nice to see you smile again eonni," Krystal said in a sleepy voice before closing her eyes. "And I thank you both for that," said Jessica giving a quick glance to now sleeping Krystal. She continued her focus on the road with smile still curved up on her lips.

*************************************************************************************

Feeling sleepy Gary drove slowly. Hanging out with the Jung siblings sure is an experience to him. His body felt heavy. Now he is in the mood to take a long sleep. But he have to do something first before returning to his apartment. A few minutes later he arrived at Gil's apartment. He opened his shopping bags and took out a carton of eggs. "A thank you gift, Gil," Gary said to himself smiling menacingly.

*************************************************************************************

Next Morning

LeeSsang studio.

"Morning Jung-in," said a now refreshed Gary to Jung-in. "Good morning oppa," replied Jung-in. She handed him some documents. It's the plan and guest list for the launch party. " Ah. Gamsahabnida Jung-in. You're a big help. Where's Gil?"

"Gil oppa called just now. He needs to bring his car to the car-wash . Somebody pelted his car with eggs last night," said Jung-in while handing him his coffee.

"Really? I wonder who dared to do that," Gary said nonchalantly and took a sip of his coffee. "Nice coffee by the way. It's satisfying," Gary said with a smirk earning a confused look from Jung-in.

 

 

To be continued

 

 

Note: So, I''ve decided to add the Jung siblings in this chapter. Actually, I'm torn to choose between Ha Ji Won and the siblings. After reviewing old episodes, I see the interactions between the siblings and Gary can bring much more story depth. This chapter is a bit lighter in mood than last two chapters to give some breathing space for Gary. More drama coming up in next chapter. So again, thank you for reading and believe me , I really appreciate all comments. Thank you (head bowed 90 degrees)