Chapter 6: Crackers, Ramen , Nose

Mondays to Mondays

(After recording episode 106)

"Jae-suk hyung, can we talk for a minute?" Gary said as he entered the dressing room. Jae-suk was checking his schedule for the day.

"Sure, what is it?" Yoo Jae-suk nodded and motioned to the chair next to him. Gary sat and linked his hands together. "Hyung, I'm going to get treatment for my back injury soon. It's a simple procedure but therapy's going for a couple of weeks,"

"I see. It's for your own good. Have you cleared your situation with our management and PD? I'll accompany you to meet them if you want," Jae-suk offered. He knew about Gary's back problem for a while. It's a relief he finally decided to get treatment before it worsens.

" They  have been notified by my company. Since you're our leader, I need to tell you in person. I'll be joining back after two weeks,"

"If you need to extend your leave just give me a call. I can sort it out for you here. Gary, don't forget to tell others too. Get well soon,"

"Of course hyung. Gamsahabnida," bowed Gary before taking his leave.

As Gary exited the changing room, a pair of hands grabbed his elbow and pulled him to the next room. From his seat, Jae-suk could recognize  the hands belonged  to Ji-hyo  who is pulling Gary. He shook his head before continuing his work.

" These two always make me so confused,"

Ladies changing room

"Ji-hyo yah, it's the ladies room. Something happened?" Gary looked around as she released her grip. "I should be asking you the question oppa. I overheard you and Jae-suk oppa's talking just now. Back treatment ?"  Ji-hyo's word fell to Gary's deaf ears  as his eyes  are wildly looking around the ladies room. He earned a slap at his chest. "Yah!!! Kang Gary!!! Pay attention!! Now tell me, are you getting surgery?  Is it dangerous?" Ji-hyo's eyes widens as she mentions the word dangerous.

 She was about to say more when in a flash Gary pressed his fingers against her lips instinctively .The sudden action manages to shut her up."Now calm down a minute. It's a non-surgery treatment for my spine, it's perfectly safe," realizing he touched Ji-hyo's lips for too long, Gary finally lowered his finger. "Mianhe(sorry), I couldn't help it," Gary gave her an apologetic look.

*Maybe I shouldn't do that. She's someone else's girl. Get a grip Kang Hee-gun!!*

" It's okay oppa. Now, how long will you will be in a hospital?" Ji-hyo still couldn't shake off her worries.

" Treatment's will only take a day at most. But I still have to attend therapy for at couple of weeks, so Maybe I won't be attending RM's recording during that time,"

"But you never told me you have that problem, you should tell me sooner,"

" I have to confirm with a physician first. He assured me the treatment will correct my spine. Besides, I'm telling you about it now, Right?"

"But you will return, right  Kang Gary?" seeking assurance from Gary, Ji-hyo looked at him with beady eyes and a pout on . If it wasn't because of great self-restraint, Gary would have kissed her on the spot. Gary patted himself on his chest.

" I will return as soon as I can. I promise. Now can you stop giving me that look?"

Hearing the promise, Ji-hyo nods a little and smiled . Gary stepped back a little and gave her a wave. "I have to tell the others now. Anyeong Ji-hyo yah," said Gary as he walked backwards leaving the room.

"Kang Gary, get well soon," said Ji-hyo waving back to him. Gary gave her a thumbs up before he walked out the door.

"That's interesting. If I don't know any better I would thought you two were a married couple," Han Ji-min suddenly appeared out from the corner of the room. her sudden appearance startled Ji-hyo. "Omo!! Ji-min ah, you're here?"

Han Ji-min shrugged her shoulder. " Last time I check it's the girl's room right? I'm right there by the corner. Thought I should say hi to Gary oppa, but seeing how you act like a worried wife to him, I decided to watch, eonni (sister)" said Han Ji-min as she bites a piece of cracker. "It's fun watching you two. Got some snacks too. Want some eonni ?" Ji-min held up the cracker pack she's carrying. With a frown, Ji-hyo grabbed a piece.

 "I can see you're really worried about him," Ji-min said continuing her bite.

"Of course I'm worried. Spine injury is not a joke you know?"

"Oh, sounds like it . But the question is you're worried about him as what?" Ji-min's sharp question flustered Ji-hyo. " He....is....," Han Ji-min smirked seeing her blundering  response  and decided to . "You know what? I think Gary oppa is kind of good-looking,  funny too. Seems like a great catch," Ji-min raised her eyebrows suggestively . "Maybe I should try to get close to him, take my chance. He's not taken yet right?"

Hearing Han Ji-min's bold words, Ji-hyo's eyes widen. Han Ji-min snorted and put her arms around Ji-hyo's shoulder. "Hah!! Eonni, I'm joking. You should see how red your face are right now. But seriously, you should really think about what I said. You are in a relationship with your boss, but the way you act around Gary oppa shows something else. You should think what he is to you, " lowering her arms, Han Ji-min moved towards the couch continuing munching on crackers. Ji-hyo gave a sigh as she  leaned against the nearby wall with her arms crossed.

*What is Kang Gary to me? *

*************************************************************************************

The spine treatment went well. Under doctor's orders, Gary have to attend scheduled back therapy sessions for at least four  weeks. For now, he filled his days at his restaurants or studio doing paperwork and light jobs. Sometimes, he will spend some hanging out with Jong-kuk and HaHa, having drinks or fooling around. Today,  they are hanging out at Do-young's restaurant.

"So this is........?" Gary looked at the steaming small cups lined up for the three of them. Do-young sat across them with his cup placed in front of him. Eun-hwan, Do-young's assistant stand at the door looking at the four guys with a smile.

"Civet coffee. Eun-hwan convinced me to buy the beans yesterday. Ever have one?"

HaHa leaned closer to the cup, smelling the brew."Heard of it. So, taste it together?" he looked at Jong-kook . All of them exchanged glances and took a sip from their respective cups. Eun-hwan watched them in amusement. "So, verdict gentlemen?" asked the thin-framed woman. Gary and HaHa gave nods of satisfaction ."Put it in the menu Eun-hwan," an approval from her boss made Eun-hwan's  face beamed.

"It is good. What is this 'civet coffee'? A new mix or something?" Jong-kook's questioned. Do-young smirked and leaned his head nearer to Jong-kook to answer his question. Jong-kook's expression changed as he heard Do-young's answer. "So, that's where it came from.....it's..... good.....Thank you Eun-Hwan. Just... no more for me ok?"

"Of course , Jong-kook ssi," Eun-hwan nods as she walked to the kitchen.

"Hyung, how's shooting? " Gary turned the attention to Jong-kook" It went fine, everybody missed you, they told me to say hi,"

"Ji-hyo asked me yesterday about you. I think she missed you," Haha interjected . Gary laughed awkwardly hearing that. They continued their chat, having update about their lives.  It's been 3 weeks since Gary's spine treatment and he missed two episodes of the show. He laughed as they tell him stories about the casts  during last shooting.

And time flies fast and they didn't realize that until it's nearly 10.00pm . They said their goodbyes and leave Do-young's place. Gary choose to walk to his apartment. He pulled up his Jacket's hood up and walked slowly enjoying the fresh air. he even made a quick stop at local convenience store and bought some ramen for the night. As he exits the shop, he checked his phone. A message from Jessica flashed on screen.

From: Jessica

Just finished filming music video with the girls. At hotel trying to sleep, but Tiffany and Yoona kept bothering me . Oppa, don't forget to take your medicine. Take care of your health!!!

Goodnight.......

Gary chuckled a little while texting his good night and continued on his way. 

Approaching his apartment Gary noticed something familiar. Ji-hyo's car parked beside his. He approached his apartment and found Ji-hyo leaning against his aprtment's door hugging plastics of food container.

"Ji-hyo?" She turned to him and smiled.

"How long you've been here? Why didn't you call telling me you're visiting?"

"Just a couple of minutes oppa. I was about to call when you arrived. Wanted to surprise you, so...surprise," Ji-hyo glanced at the plastic bag that Gary carried. " Don't you want to let me in?"

Gary sheepishly scratched back of his head.unlocked the door and both of them entered his apartment. "Where were you just now oppa?" asked Ji-hyo as she opened her jacket. "I was hanging out with the HaHa and Jong-kook a while ago," Gary placed his ramen bags on the table and about to open them when Ji-hyo slapped his hand. "Yah!!! Kang Gary!!! Don't eat that. Youre not eating ramen while recovering. I brought some kimbap with me. Now show me where the plates are and sit down," Gary followed her order and took his seat at the dinner table. Ji-hyo tied her hair in a loose ponytail and arranged the food on the plates while Gary watched her from behind.

*She really looked so homely yet beautiful as she always be. Seeing you at my kitchen like that is a dream come true. Ji-hyo yah, I know you belonged to someone else, but if there is a chance from heavens,  I really wish I could see you like this every day *

"Here, eat up, you need healthy  food to recover," Ji-hyo set the plates on the table and placed two bottles of mineral water in front of him. He is not really hungry at that time, seeing the plate served by Ji-hyo really worked his appetite.

"Did you made them?"

"Ani, bought them on the way here, why oppa?" Ji-hyo grabbed a piece and ate it slowly. "Taste's good to me,"

"It's good. I just thought you made them yourself,"  

"I'm not a good cook. Do you really want to taste them oppa?"

"Anything you made should taste good,"  Gary continued nonchalantly. Hearing Gary's words, Ji-hyo could feel her face reddened. She took a drink of water to cool herself.

Gary finished his dinner a couple of minutes later. Ji-hyo picked up the plates and washed them while Gary helped her drying the plates. They didn't talk much, both just silently enjoying each other's company. Later they sit side by side at Gary's couch as Gary showed her unedited videos of his upcoming music videos. Gary could smell the scent of her hair as she leaned closer to his laptop. The fragrance of her hair captivates him and it took his whole strength to control himself. They continued their night having small talks and exchanging stories.

"Oppa, it's nearly 1.00 am. I have to go now," Ji-hyo said and looked at her watch. Gary nodded and helped her put on her jacket. Later, he followed her to the parking lot.

"Ji-hyo yah, thank you," Gary held one of her hand and rubbed it.

 "You're welcome. So, I've been to your place two times now. You don't mind do you?" Ji-hyo asked with a smirk.

"You're welcome here every day Ji-hyo. You can come knocking at 4.00 am if you feel like it," Gary leaned closer to Ji-hyo's face making a mischievous grin and raised his eyebrows.

Ji-hyo laughed and piched his nose. "Yah, ert. Get well soon. Goodbye Kang Gary,"

" Drive carefully J-hyo yah. Anyeong,"

Gary stood there as he watched Ji-hyo's car leave the area. He touched his nose and smiled as he entered his house.

Inside her car, a happy smile formed on Ji-hyo's lips. For a while, being with Gary make  everything seems so right for her. And she as much as she want to deny it, she missed him already.

 

 

 

 

Note

I've got an idea for this chapter after seeing Gary is missing from two episode of running man due to spine injury. So, I made this chapter (and maybe next chapter too) to revolve around the time  he is recovering. So, here goes.......All comments are appreciated. They really inspired me.Thank you for anyone who reads this chapter (heads bowed)