Chapter 8: Grill,Picnic,Bushes

Mondays to Mondays

 

Busan

(After episode 112)

"Jong-kook oppa, you're not married yet, right?" resting her head on her hand, Jessica asked Jong-kook. All cast are having dinner at one of the local restaurant after their shooting wrapped. Jessica came to the location accompanying Tae-yon who is a guest today.

"Ne (yes), still single," Jong-kook replied shortly. His hand is slowly stirring his drink on the table.

"Girlfriend?" Tae-yon now look interested in the subject.

"Not telling you Tae-Yon ah,"

"Really? Do you have one in secret or are you waiting for someone?"  Jessica asked, looking intrigued. All eyes at the table are now fixed at the muscle-bound singer. Kwang-Soo stopped grilling the meat on the table staring with mouth agape at Jong-Kook waiting for his answer.

"You could say that. But I know now the wait is going to be worth it," Jong-kook twirled his glass with a smile on his face. He turned his sight to the empty street outside. His eyes turned soft as if he is remembering something great. Or he could say someone great.

"Who's the lucky girl?"

"Oh, someone,"

"I think he's  talking about Eun-hye, right Kang Gary?"  Ji-hyo whispered to Gary who is seated next to her.

Gary shrugged his shoulder ."Let's wait for his answer. It's getting interesting,"

"Jong-kook ah, you should answer the question," Jae-suk grinned mischievously.

The atmosphere turned silent at the moment. Jong-kook was about to open his mouth when his nose smelled something.

" Yah! Kwang-soo!! The meat's burning!" Suk -jin screamed poiting at the grill. By luck, Jong-kook succeeded to evade answering the question. In reflex, Kwang-soo grabbed Jong-kook's drink and poured the content on the electric grill. The table are now filled with puffs of smoke and steam due to Kwang-soo's action. All of them coughed heavily from the smoke.

"What's happening?!! Kwang-soo!!" Jong-kook smacked Kwang-soo's head. "Mianhe (sorry) hyung!!" the apologies fell on deaf ears as HaHa and Ji-hyo joined smacking him. "Mianhe!!!!"

The shop suddenly covered with darkness. The lights went out. When water meets electrical appliance, it bound to happen.

Blackout.

 And by then Kwang-soo knew he'll never escape in one piece.

"Mianhe!!!!!"

*************************************************************************************

Finished with their dinner, They leave the restaurant. Saying their goodbyes, most went separate ways. Gary and Ji-hyo is now accompanying Jessica and Tae-yeon to their car.

"Okay, you're set to go. Remember to drive carefully" Gary closed the trunk of their car after helping them putting their luggage there.

"Will do. You too oppa, " said Jessica from the driver's seat. Gary tapped the car's door lightly signaling them to move.

"See you later oppa,eonnie!" waved Jessica as the car moved. Both nodded and as their car vanished from sight, walked slowly to their parking space.

"She really likes to hang around with us lately," Ji-hyo mumbled  broke the silence.

"Who?"

"Jessica," Ji-hyo glanced in irritation at Gary's obliviousness.

"Now that you mentioned it, I just realized that too. She must be bored when she's free. Besides, we are a fun group to hang out with,"

"You're the one she likes to hang out with," Ji-hyo whispered to herself as Gary continues walking slowly , his mouth humming some tunes. Ji-hyo creased her eyebrows as she is walking quickly catching up with him.

*Do I sound jealous? No!!! I'm not jealous Right? I'm just.............curious!! Right, I'm curious!!*

"Gary hyung, Ji-hyo noona!!!" both Gary and Ji-hyo turned around and sees Kwang-soo running towards them. he stopped and panted as he reached them.

"You haven't left yet? What happened? Jong-kook still chasing you? You know, he nearly spilled the beans of his love life if not for you and your antics," Ji-hyo scowled, smacking Kwang-soo's head .

" Mianhe. I would like to ask something from both of you. Jong-kook hyung is acting weird lately. I'm worried about him,"

"What's wrong with him?" asked Gary.

"You know he is a health nut right? He even dragged me along with him to the gym. Been years he would make sure he will be working out with me twice a week, it's his routine," Kwang-soo rubbed his hand nervously.

"And something happened?"

"He changed his routine. For three years he would make sure to work out with me every Thursday and Sunday, but now he changed it to Fridays and Sundays,"

"I didn't see anything weird from that. Maybe he got something scheduled," Gary still sound unimpressed.

"Jong-kook hyung would never change his routine. If something works, he'll never change it. Not only our workout session, he will make sure nobody can reach him that day. Like he would vanish from the surface of the planet  once a week. I tried asking the others but none of them have any idea  . That's why I'm looking for both of you. Did anything new happened to him? Do you know anything?" Kwang-soo looked at both of them, hands now in his pocket.

"Nothing that I knew of. Ji-hyo yah, has he told you anything?" Gary turned his sight to Ji-hyo.

"Ani(no). But hearing it from Kwang-soo, now I'm interested what he did. Kang Gary, clear your schedule next Thursday. We've got a mission," a glint in Ji-hyo's  eyes made Gary squirm a bit.

 

*************************************************************************************

Jong-kook's apartment

Routine. Waking up early is part of Jong-kook's routine. He'll go for a jog, pump some iron at his living room and leave for work after breakfast. Everything will follow a strict routine of time and action. His free time will be filled with workout sessions and twice a week he will drag Kwang-soo to the gym, making him join his workout  whether he like it or not. That is his routine for years. The routine that lets him maintain his buffed body and he dedicates all of his free time for this

But for this past month, he found something new. Something worth to add between his routine. He'll clear his Thursdays from everything. Much to Kwang-soo's objection, he moved his workout session with Kwang-soo to Fridays. Before this, Thursdays used to be filled to the brim with his sweat drenched workout and heavy steels.

Not anymore.

It's Thursday today. He woke up half an hour late, go for quick jog , cook and breakfast which followed by shower.  One hour was spend choosing his clothes ,grooming and t. He needs to look absolute best today. Looking at his watch, he decided it's time to leave and head for his destination. Little that he know that there are two figures watching him in a car from across the street.

*************************************************************************************

"Kang Gary, whose car is this?" Ji-hyo turned her head around looking at the interior of the car.

"I swapped my car with Jung-in's for the day. Jong-kook hyung wouldn't recognize it," said Gary while adjusting his seat.

" There he is!! Follow him!! Hurry!!" Ji-hyo half jumped at the passenger seat pointing at Jong-kook's car moving past them. Curiosity and excitement caused her to slap Gary's shoulder repeatedly. "Wait a bit Ji-hyo yah. I don't want him to spot us," Gary waited a couple of seconds before shifting his car to first gear. "You're really jumpy today,"

"I've never went on spying people before. It's really exciting oppa,"

"What are you getting so excited about? We could just asked him, right" Gary didn't take his eyes from Jong-kook's car. He followed slowly, making sure there would be at least two cars covering them behind Jong-kook's car.

"I'm curious after hearing about him from Kwang-soo. And you think he would tell us who he is seeing just like that? I don't think so,"

"And why am I being dragged in this?"

"Because you couldn't say no to me right, oppa?" Ji-hyo said putting her innocent face facing Gary with a small pout. Gary glanced at her and sighed with a smile on his face.

"Kang Gary, I really have a hunch he's seeing someone. What else he could do once a week in secret?"

"I don't know. Maybe putting on a mask, fighting crime? he has the body for it,"

"Yah, that's the best you can come up with?" raising her eyebrows, Ji-hyo slapped Gary's shoulder again.

*************************************************************************************

Cruising past the Gangnam shopping district, Jong-kook's eyes caught something. A small flower shop tucked between two souvenir shops. He quickly parked his car by the roadside and went inside the shop. At first, Jong-kook felt a bit lost. It's been a while since he bought flowers for anyone. Luckily, the shopkeeper is very helpful, suggesting a bouquet of mixed colors of roses. Satisfied, he thank the shopkeeper before leaving. It is when he is crossing the street when he felt something. Someone's watching him. He looked around. Nothing. Just some customers and an empty car parked away from him. "Hmm...must be the nerves kicking in," Jong-kook shrugged his shoulder before leaving.

*************************************************************************************

"Get down!!!" both Ji-hyo and Gary ducked down at their seats. "Did he see us?" still crouching, Ji-hyo tried to peek outside.

" Don't think so. Ji-hyo yah, are going to this all day?"

"Ne(yes). We won't stop until we see what's his secret . You can see he bought flowers, so there's somebody he's seeing. What else can he do with that?"

"Fight crimes using flowers?" Gary scratched his head.

Glare.

*************************************************************************************

Bundang Park, Seoul

40 minutes drive and Jong-kook finally arrived . He checked his watch. Nearing afternoon, it's  perfect since the park is quite empty at this time. He promised to be here before 1. He checked himself at the mirror, all fine.

Jong-kook then exits his car  and start to look around, looking for a perfect spot. He spotted an empty park table situated under the shade of a tree.

"There," Jong-kook said to himself, smiling. He popped open his car's trunk, taking out a basket. He then started emptying the contents and place them neatly on the table. Finally finished, he sat and took out his phone. "Anytime soon,"

Waiting makes him nervous. Even after doing it for a month, he still felt it. And he needs to calm down. Jong-kook took a deep breath, enjoying the surrounding. It's a breezy , and he can see the flower beds and the bushes shook slowly because of the wind.

*************************************************************************************

"Ji-hyo yah, do we need to hide here? in the bush?" Gary moaned as he crouched. Sure he's happy to spend a day with Ji-hyo, but not inside a bush spying on the Commander. Her curiosity really got inside her head.

"Shh! Someone's approaching him....It's her!!.... I knew it!!" Ji-hyo squealed in excitement. She leaned forward and grabbed his shoulder from behind for support. Gary could feel  her body's heat rubbing his back . He smiled a bit  .

*************************************************************************************

"Is this seat taken?" a voice made Jong-kook turned around. Wearing long black overcoat, Yoon Eun-hye is standing behind him. Jong- kook stood up to welcome her. "The seat is waiting for you," he pointed to a seat across his spot.

 " I'm thinking of seating next to you today,"  Eun-hye  pointed to a spot beside Jong-kook. He nodded as he helped Eun-hye took off her jacket. Both finally seated side by side.

"Here," Jong-kook handed her the flower bouquet he's holding.

"Mixed colors oppa?" Eun-hye raised her eyebrows.

"I didn't really speak flower language, so I brought you mixed colors. At least, you can choose what you like right?" Jong-kook sheepishly replied.

"Well, I like them all, thank you oppa," Eun-hye smiled. "So, we are having a picnic?" Eun-hye looks at the food containers placed on the table.

"Trying something different this week. Here, have a taste," Jong-kook opened one of the containers revealing some bibmbap (Korean mixed rice). Other containers contain mandu(dumplings),soup and a couple more side dishes. Eun-hye's eyes widen seeing the assortment of food on the table.

"That's a lot of food oppa. Did you made them?"

"Half of it I made myself," Jong-kook pulled some of the containers near Eun-hye.

"Which half?"

"That's a secret," Jong-kook handed her a some cutlery.

"You know I'll try to dig it from you right?" Eun-hye gave a naughty smirk.

"You can try. Now, have a bite,"

As both started eating Jong-kook watched Eun-hye . He remembered the last time they were in a show together.

Flashback

Starting as a love line, they showed a strong chemistry together. And then for him, real feelings started to develop. At that time, he felt everything is complete. But after their show ended, their different busy schedule kept them apart. He remembered he didn't have the chance to confess his feelings for her. Either it was shyness, or just some stupid immature move, he refrained himself from trying to further their relationship. The longer time passed by, the harder it for him to confess. That was the biggest regret he ever felt. And that feeling of regret he carried for years. He stopped opening himself too much for another woman. Deep inside his mind, Eun-hye is still there. Unconsciously, he waited for her.

Then about a month ago, he met her again at Gary's party.  Now both are matured enough, Jong-kook realized it's now or never. He pulled her to secluded spot. That night he spilled everything he feels to her . All the pent  up feelings  were opened for her. And for better or worse, he's ready for her reply.

That night, she replied with a simple gesture. as he rambled on and on about his feeling, she leaned closer to him and kissed him, shutting him up. "Pabo (idiot), you know how long I've waited for this oppa?" said Eun-hye teary eyed . That night he knew his wait is over.

End of Flashback

"Is there something on my face oppa?" Eun-hye's question broke Jong-kook's thoughts. Jong-kook shook his head.

"Just glad seeing your face, Eun-hye," said Jong-kook as he hand her a bottle of water. After that night, aside from calls at nights, both promised to set aside one day a week just for two of them, no distractions. Both also agreed to keep their relationship just between them for a while. It's a sweet secret for both of them.

"I'm also glad seeing your face oppa. Once a week, but it's worth it," Eun-hye continued eating. " Any plan for today?" asked Eun-hye.

"Of course, you're not going home today,"

Eun-hye smiled. "Of course, oppa,"

*************************************************************************************

"Ji-hyo yah, let's go, they needed their space now," Gary said softly. Ji-hyo nodded and followed suit. Both quietly made their way to their car, making sure Jong-kook didn't see them. As their car moved out of the park, Ji-hyo turned her head towards Kang Gary.

"Kang Gary," Ji-hyo called Gary softly. "I felt happy for Jong-kook oppa ,"

"Well, me too. It may took years, but we can see, Jong-kook hyung is happy,"

"Would you hold on for someone you love for that long?" Ji-hyo felt sleepy, creeping around following people really tires her out.She even yawned a bit. But, she need to ask that question.

"I'm holding on now. I don't know if there's any chance, but until the wedding bell chimes for her, no matter what, I'll hold on," Gary's eyes soften while replying Ji-hyo's answer.

Ji-hyo smiled hearing his answer. "Can we make a quick stop somewhere? I'm hungry," Ji-hyo asked, giving her puppy dog eyes.

"You're giving that look again Ji-hyo yah. Okay, how does seaweed soup sound?"

"Yes please, you're the best Kang Gary," Ji-hyo grinned before yawning again.

 "Now, go to sleep, I'll wake you when we arrived," Gary said, eyes fixed on the road. He continued his drive, eyes something glancing at sleeping beside him. Looking at her, he smiled softly.

*Ill hold on for you*

Note:

I'm going to deviate a bit, focusing this chapter on Jong-kook instead using our Monday couple as spectator. Watching some episodes, I can see how Jong-kook flinched whenever Eun-hye's name mentioned and it interested me.. So, I tried to dig on their clips during Jong-kook's x-men days . It's a unique loveline and it inspired me to write this chapter. So, any comment is appreciated. I hope you enjoy this chapter and thank you for reading this chapter. (Head  bowed down)