Chapter 1 : The Breakoff

Mondays to Mondays

Gary's Apartment 0200HRS

                A car just pulled over the parking lot. As the engine stops, the door opens and out comes Kang Gary. Carrying his bag ,he entered   his bachelor pad and threw them beside the coffee table. Not bothering to unpack or changing his clothes, he slumped himself on the couch and lie there. With fatigue creeping his entire body, he needs his shuteye.  

Yet ,after 2 hours, he couldn't get even one blink of sleep. 2 days of RM filming is exhausting enough but there he is staring at the ceiling.  "It's happening huh? "he muttered to himself. Memories of what happened yesterday is playing in his mind in an endless loop.

 

************************************************************************************

Yesterday morning(Before episode 82-83)

                Whistling happily Gary walked to the meeting room. Cold Morning breeze didn't seem to bother him. Its Monday, the day he waited every week with enthusiasm.  The day he could meet her. Song Ji Hyo. Even her name made him smile a little.

He opened the door to the meeting room. There's only PD Myuk and Ji-hyo there."Anyeong(Hello) Myuk-ssi, Ji-hyo- yah!!" Gary greeted cheerfully.

"Ah, Gary -ssi.Please have a seat. We have something important to discuss", Gary complied by taking a seat next to Ji-hyo.

"Are having  A spy mission or something?Me and Ji-hyo? Daebakk(Great)!! should be fun right Ji-hyo-yah?!" Gary beamed while turning his head to Ji-hyo expecting her to be excited. Strangely, Ji-hyo just sat there staring down at the table .Noticing something's off he turned his head back to PD Myuk. Holding a stack of papers ,PD Myuk's expression is serious.

"Gary-ssi, we are going to end Monday Couple," At that point Gary could feel time just stops. His heartbeat stopped for couple of second."We received news that Ji-hyo's  agency will announce their CEO's relationship with her. They are going public, we have to end this love line,"

Gary leaned a little to his chair. A million thoughts are playing in his head. Now it's happening. He's been warned about the risk of having a love line in a show.  It's Just a show . Yet 1 and a half years feels real to him and even its staged ,  every words he said to her is the truth. He shouldn't fall too deep. Yet every moment spent he fell deep for her. He knew someday this will end. He even knew the rumors of her dating. Yet he's holding on a pipe dream about her and he held it for too long . He should be ready for it to end. Or at least come clean about his feelings.  But he's not. There's so many thing he wants to do with her. So many things in his heart he wants to tell her. He's not ready for this.

He turned to Ji-hyo hoping for some kind of response. Any response. She can say anything. Hell, she can scream at him if she wanted to. Just a word from her. But alas, just like before she's still in silence staring down. Then he felt it. A mixed feeling of frustration, sadness but  he couldn't feel anger. Not towards her.

*It's her wish. Honor it.*

"So now we are having a meeting to discuss the ending of this love line. I'm suggesting we have a bit of story and end it officially in a couple of weeks..........." Gary raised his hand signaling PD Myuk to stop talking."Myuk-ssi. Lets end it today ,don't drag this any longer,"

"Are you sure?" PD Myuk asked."Ne(yes),I dont think using long strides in ending this is such a good idea. Look, Ji Hyo found her better half. She's got to have her personal space now.  Let's not ruin it by our cheesy love line", It took him a lot of strength to say that.. But for her he put the biggest lie he can pull.

"Ji -hyo yah, oppa will end it today, so don't worry okay? Anyway, congratulations", Gary gave her a smile(albeit in bitterness) while giving her a thumbs up."So, its settled then, Gary-ssi, I'll leave it to you to during filming today", PD Myuk ended their small meeting and motioned them to the door.

There was silence on the way to the dressing room. Gary walked on the front with both of his hands inside his pockets. Ji -Hyo is still in silence following him from behind. Nearing the door Gary suddenly stopped and faced her. "omo!!!" She squeaked she stared at him wide-eyed. Finally hearing her voice Gary can only chuckle at her gesture. He held both of her hands tenderly and gave her a smile. She didn't pull her hand though, only looking down at her shoes.

*I'm going to miss this. God I wish I could hug you now.*

"Ji-hyo yah, you should tell oppa this news sooner. You guys must be dating for a while now right? Why the secrecy from me? Are you afraid oppa will be angry?" His voice cracked a little in sadness  but thankfully he covered it with a smile. Ji Hyo lifted her head while biting her lips not knowing how to answer. Seeing her face like that melts his heart. He really wish to say what 's in his heart now but he knew it would only confuse, or worse hurt her. He felt his face was breaking but he maintained his smile. "Hmm.. Maybe you don't know how to tell me. Ji-hyo-yah, I'm not angry, I'm happy for you. You are having the happiest moment now. You have to smile", Gary pinched her right cheek softly and laughed.

*Maybe this will be the last time I can touch her face. The face I adore wholeheartedly. Next time, I won't have the right to do so. The right goes to her man*

"Mianhe(I'm sorry) Kang Gary", Ji-hyo spoke slowly. Gary released his hold of her hands."No Song Ji-hyo. you shouldn't say sorry. In fact I should thank you," Not waiting for any response Gary continues "thank you for 1 and half wonderful years of Monday Couple. It's been a wonderful ride", he smiled."Let's get ready for filming shall we?"

*************************************************************************************

End of Flashback

Gary still lying on his couch.2 days of filming went on without a hitch. He even threw a joke about being drunk and acting delusional here and there  for some earning some laughs from the casts. Winning the final challenge was an added bonus. The irony of winning it while grouped with Ji Hyo makes him gave a weak laugh. The whole process of filming near her is really painful. Luckily he kept his emotions to himself."Never thought you could act Kang Hee Gun(his real name),"He mumbled to himself while crossing his hands behind his head."Mondays are going to be tough now," he continued his stare to the ceiling  thinking about a woman called Song Ji-hyo. Everything he feels about her is two sided now. Warmth and cold, happiness and sadness ,clarity and confusion. He gave out huge sigh and shook his head. One thing for sure, he won't get enough sleep tonight.

*************************************************************************************

Knock...knock

Silence. Gil took out the spare keys and entered Gary's apartment. "Gary!!! I brought some food!!" Gil shouted as he carried them inside. For Gil, it's not about eating. Since the news of Ji-hyo's relationship broke, he need to check on his friend. He knew Gary enough to know  that he's having a heartbreak."Gary!!! Are you home??!!" Gils tone are getting louder .He's getting worried. He rushed to the bedroom and then the bathroom. Empty.

*Not again. Not again! *Gil's thought run wild. He reached for his phone to call him.

"Hey, you're early today Gil," Gil turned around and gave a huge sigh at the sight of Gary."I'm doing my laundry. Couple of days worth of it," Gary walked to his room carrying freshly dried clothes. He looked calm but the prominent dark circles around his eyes showed everything.

"Foods on the table. Thought you might want to grab a bite," Gil slumped himself on one of the sofas."Maybe later," Gary replied while rummaging through his refrigerator and took out two cold beers and tossed one of them to Gil. He took his seat across Gil.

"Are you okay?" Gil asked , not wasting time. They've been singing partner for years .He's there when Gary suffered a breakup from a 7 years relationship. He saw Gary at his worst time. Gary knows what he means with his question."Ani(no),"  Gil nods while listening to Gary's answer. Gary's tone are getting sadder." Lots of whys, maybes , and what ifs. And all becomes pointless since now I lost her. Gil, I tried to remain calm in accepting this break off, but I'm not. Actually......."

"You loved her too much to do that," Gil cut off " I know you for a long time Gary. When you accepted the idea of a love line with her,  I know you accepted it not because of ratings. You really fallen for her," Gil sipped his drink."What are you  going to do now?"

"Thought of quitting Running Man. But I'm just going to make matters worse by running away. Fans will blame her if I left . So I'm staying," Gil smirked at Gary's answer."She broke your heart and you're still being thoughtful of her," Gil teased Gary. Gary gave an awkward chuckle."But now I really need to get my mind of these things. Maybe get myself busy. I'm thinking of producing another album or at least a single. Maybe arrange another concert. Our restaurant really need to expand. I'm going to concentrate to make LeeSsang better than now. At the same time, maybe ,just maybe with these projects I can recover from this heartbreak. what do you say?" Gary raised his beer can to Gil."I may not know how to advice a friend in a heartbreak, but I can assure you, I'll be with you all the way. Besides, I have to make sure you're not on a suicidal path," Gil also raised his can. They made their toast and finished their drinks. Gil stood and brought their food to the coffee table.

"By the way Gary, I know you said  you think time will make you recover from this heartbreak. But I don't think you will stop loving her. Because you're you," Gil said while before eating his food and gave him a meaningful smile. Gary could only stare at his friend silently.

*Maybe it's true .I don't think I can stop loving her.*