Chapter 7

Turns of fate

"Hello?"
"Hello, 'Xing?"
"Oh...! Hi, Yifan..."
"Sorry for not calling you earlier..."
"It's okay, I understand."

That voice... how long has it been since Yifan heard it? "Hello" alone would've been plenty enough reason to make him smile - how he remembers the person behind it.

"...Are you there?" Yixing asked.
"Ah. Yes." Yifan responded quickly. How can he dose off for minutes like that?
"Why did you call suddenly?"
"I think I should've actually called much earlier..."
"Probably..."

This is awkward. There is so many things that Yifan wanted to tell his boyfriend; so many events to discuss. But he could not start. He knows the main reason he called Yixing but somehow luck isn't giving a good opportunity. At the back of his mind, he actually hoped Yixing would not pick up. Talking to a voicemail is much easier.  

But this... every phrase was spoken seemingly after every twenty seconds. Each waiting for something to break the conversation.

"I'm... I'm in China now..."
"I know."
"I'm staying at this nice hotel."
"Uh..."
"And the people here are nice. They treat me well; they even bought me food a couple of times."
"That's nice..."
"We haven't talked for months... you have any less words for me?" Yifan asked, a bit annoyed at how Yixing isn't helping one bit. 
"Sorry... I..."
"Stop."
"I'm sorry..."
"Stop!"

No, Yifan didn't call to fight. 

"Sorry..." Yifan said. "Just, please... stop apologizing."
"I... und... okay." Yixing answered timidly.
"Yixing."
"Huh?"
"I'm sorry... Sorry for hitting you. Sorry for leaving suddenly. Sorry for not calling earlier."
"It's alright."
"No, it's not alright. I should never have hurt you. That was what I promised to you."
"Don't mind it. I was at fault. I should've not forced myself."
"It was because I wasn't clear."
"No..."
"Yixing. The things you said that night... please don't say them again. No, don't even think of them. You're worth far more than to be someone in a relationship just 
because it's convenient. You're worth far more than to be someone who loves a person who you think doesn't love you anymore. That's why... that's why..."
"I..."
"That's why I was angry at you. I hated the thought that you'd throw yourself worthlessly like that. I hated the idea that you seemed to take yourself too lightly, too useless. I didn't like you treating yourself worthlessly like that... especially... especially when you're the one I value the most."
"Yifan..."
"I'm sorry. I really am. I can understand if you would be mad at me. I can understand if Chen and Luhan would beat me up... but please..."

"Just remove those thoughts in your head."

"Never entertain them again... please."

"Yixing, please hang on a moment." Yifan composedly said as he angrily walked to the door.

"WHAT?! I put up the "Do not disturb sign" for a reason, you know!" he almost shouted at the person outside.
"I... I'm sorry, sir..." the hotel staff said.
"What do you want?!"
"It's just... someone is at the lobby to see you, sir."
"Why can't you just call?!"
"We did, sir! Like four times but there was no answer. And we're positive that you came in through the lobby, so I was sent to check. I'm really sorry to disturb you, 
sir."
"Tell that person to wait at the lobby, I'll be there soon."
"Yes, sir. Sorry!"

Seriously. It's not like he's been on the phone that long to warrant four calls from the front desk. "What kind of attitude is that... no concern about the situation their guests are in... If this happened in Korea, I would've..." Yifan's complains stopped when he heard a laugh over the phone, he suddenly remembers why he was distracted.

"Hello? Hello, Yixing?" 
"Hahahaha..."
"Yixing? Why are you laughing?"

That laugh. He certainly missed it, but neither did he expect to hear it tonight.

"You never do get along with hotel staff, you know?"
"It's his fault!"
"Yes... hahaha"
"Stop laughing."
"Why did he come, by the way?"
"Looks like someone's waiting for me at the lobby. Probably the manager."
"You should go..."
"I should..."
"Yes."
"Yixing?" Yifan quickly spoke.
"Huh?"
"Those things I said, I mean it."
"I know."
"I'm not just playing around with you, you should know that by now."
"I understand... it's just... no, no, it's alright. It's nothing."
"We can talk about this more when I come home, okay?"
"Sure."
"For now, I have to go."
"Be careful."
"I will."
"Good."
"I'll call you again tomorrow..."
"I'll wait for it."
"And..."
"Uhm?"
"I..."
"Yes?"
"Good night, Yixing. I love you." Yifan quickly spoke and hung up before Yixing even had the chance to hear the full sentence. He isn't even sure Yixing heard 
everything. But still, it felt good. 

That's one good step for the better tonight, he told himself. He'll work things up slowly, asking for the usual sweet messages would be too much too soon. Things will go back, he's sure of it. He just really wanted to say those words; it's been too long. But for now, he'll deal with the person that ruined the moment for him. 

Angrily, Yifan walked out of his room and made his way to the hotel lobby.

"What do you want this late?!" Yifan asked.
"Why are you angry at me?" the manager of the model agency replied.
"You're the one disturbing another at night."
"You're the one who doesn't answer his phones. If you answered the calls, then the staff would not have abused your doorbell."
"Fine." Yifan conceded. How he managed to not notice four calls from the front desks were beyond him. "I apologize for that." he continued.
"No need to apologize, I really am here to disturb you. There's an event in an hour and I know it's kind of sudden, but the agency thinks it's good chance to promote 
the partnership between our company here and your company in Korea. So, change quickly and I'll take you there."
"Sure."
"Sure??" the manager asked, a bit puzzled. Normally, Yifan would've complained and fought for a good night's sleep. "You're going that simply?"
"Yes. Why?"
"I just thought that..."
"It's good for the company, you say. Do you want me to throw a fit?"
"No, not at all."
"I'll go change. Wait for me here."
"Oh. Yeah, sure."

"What's gotten into him?" the manager murmured as soon as Yifan left the lobby. "One moment he's complaining about disturbing him and the next he's happily following instructions. That's not the kind of character the people in Korea warned me about."

When he reached his room, Yifan realized he forgot to ask what kind of event they're going to. But he quickly decided it won't really matter as he grabbed a set of clothes. You can never go wrong with a plain white long-sleeve, he thought as he changed. He made sure to spray cologne and touch-up his hair before walking out. 

As he reached the elevator, his phone beeped.

"Let's go!" Yifan happily greeted the manager at the lobby. He wore a bright smile and a very excited aura. "I think it's going to be a really fun night. Would you like to drink with me after the party, manager?"
"Yifan..." the manager replied.
"Yes, what is it?"
"Stop it. You're scaring me."
"Stop what?" Yifan asked as he half-skipped his way beside the manager who began walking to exit. He placed his phone in his pocket and was halfway humming a song - except the manager successfully stopped too much rainbow coming out of him.

    "Good night, Yifan. Thank you for calling. Make sure you don't get drunk!^^ I'll wait for your call tomorrow." (Sent by Xing^^ at 9:30pm) 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Happy new year everyone! Let's welcome 2015 with a bit of Kray! :)