Chapter 6

Turns of fate

The second day of dance classes went by easier for Yixing; perhaps it was just really about loosening his muscles.  But he was still convinced that Jongin's choreography is harder than the average. "It's already a blessing that I'm able to go through the sets continuously..." he thought as he looked at his all-too-drenched self in the studio mirror.
He tried messing his hair which was stuck on his head like stickers. He tried fixing his sleeveless shirt which clung to his shoulders heavily because of being wet. But to no avail; he still looked like he came from a pool - not a dance class.
"Trying to look cool for the girls, huh?" Jongin teased as he walked towards the other.
"No, trying to look less of a perspiring monster..."
"Well, I think you're in the right look." the younger said referring to himself who was equally bathing in sweat.
"How long HAVE you been teaching this class?" Yixing asked as he grabbed a water bottle and sat down.
"Seven... eight months? The first months were at a different location... I just moved here less than a month ago because I didn't like the place before."
"Too small?"
"Uhuh, and I was told that the crowd here is better..."
"Not too sure about the last one."
"Oh? I think it's right on the dot." Jongin answered while smiling. "So... dinner? Or do you have plans?"
"We can try to get something simple - burger? Or just something from the convenience store?"
"I'm not craving for anything; you're call, hyung."
"You call me 'hyung' yet you stand meters taller than me..."
"Well, you're still three years older."
"Thank you."
"It doesn't show, don't worry."
"Pfft. Delivery... shall we just have something delivered?"
"Here?"
"Yup. Or is eating not allowed here?"
"It's fine."
"Anything you want?"
"CHICKEN!"
"There's someone not craving anything."
"You asked; I answered."

Minutes passed and Yixing was able to dry himself by focusing all the fans on him. Soon, he and Jongin were able to change clothes and receive the chicken they ordered.
"Didn't we order a bit too much?" the younger asked.
"Just watch; we'll be able to finish it."
"You do eat more than you look you do..."
"I do." Yixing responded with a smile.
"You know, hyung..."
"Mm?"
"You look really attractive when you smile. I think it's 'cause you have really cute dimples..." Jongin admitted.
"Why, thank you!" the other accepted happily.
"You're welcome."
"You look great when you laugh; well, as you may have heard from all the things those girls at the classes say."
"You agree with them?"
"Well, yes, you look too scary when you're frowning."
"Ugh... thanks, I guess?"
The studio was empty except for them eating at the center of the floor. If you ask Yixing, he was thankful for a wonderful time with a friend - at least he'd stop worrying about how he and Yifan would resolve their problem.
"So, you have any other friends, hyung?"
"Of course! You have to meet them sometime. I have two other friends that are also good at dancing."
"Sure, I don't see why not."
"Let's set up a date."
"Yup... so... anyone else?"
"Huh?"
"You know... someone special?"
"Ah!" Yixing was a bit taken by surprise.
"Do you?"
"I... I do..."
"That's going to make it hard..." Jongin whispered.
"Huh?"
"I said: 'That's not a surprise'..." the younger said.
"Really?"
"Yes, someone as attractive as you isn't possibly single."
"I'm starting to doubt your sincerity. Are you flattering me so I won't ask you to pay for your share in the food?"
"Did I get caught?"
"You think?" the older one responded with a laugh. "So, how about you?"
"The only close friends I have are in my hometown. Here, I only know people who attend the classes, my coworkers at my other part-time job, and you."
"And anyone special?"
"I do... I mean, I did."
"Oh? Didn't quite work out?"
"I guess, I was kinda left behind. The person left the country to study stupid cooking or something."
"Ouch. That hurt."
"Well, it did. But it's been months already, too old to live with."
"I'm happy you've moved for the better."
"Thank you, hyung!" Jongin said, ending that bit of the conversation on a happy note.


At around the same time in China (as Korea is only an hour ahead), Yifan had just finished with his last shoot of the day. 
"I'm sorry it ran a bit late, Yifan." the photographer said in full Chinese - which Yifan had the luxury of being proficient in.
"Not to worry; I hope we got a good shot?" he answered in the same language.
"We had plenty. It will be a chore for us to pick the best one."
"Thank you for your hard work," Yifan bowed and moved towards his belongings.
"Hey, Yifan!" a man called out.
"Oh?"
"Hey, wait up." the manager said.
"What's up?"
"I trust your manager in Korea told you about having a buddy here in China while you're doing activities here..."
"Yes, he did tell me..." Yifan responded as he peeked behind the manager, looking at a tall person with dark hair.
"Perfect, so I don't need to go through the details." the manager said as he pulled the other person closer to them.
"This, here, is Tao. He's one of our best models in the agency, and he'll be your buddy for the rest of your stay here."
"Hey man, how's it going?"
"Hi Tao, I'm good. Thanks for asking."
"I trust you two will get along just fine. If you don't, just bear with it... We have to do this as it's part of the company's employee engagement program or something."
"Don't worry, I'm not a hard person to get along with." Yifan assured.
"Me too! I'm rather the friendly type despite the looks." Tao added.
"Peerrrfect." the manager said. "Then, I'll leave you two for now. Neither of you have other schedules for tonight, so feel free to rest up."
"Thank you." the two responded.


Tao and Yifan decided to catch a cab on the way to the latter's hotel.
"I hope you don't mind me calling it a night..." Yifan said.
"Not at all! It's been a difficult shoot."
"It was... Who knew that modeling for bookstore can take so much of a person?"
"Well, it would if you're standing on a ladder and holding five encyclopedias for four hours."
"You saw?"
"I was watching."
"Are all shoots like this?"
"Just with that photographer... he's known to be, hmmm, somewhat obsessive when it comes to his angles."
"Well, I hope that's the last I see of him."
"I'm sorry to disappoint you but I checked your schedule..."
"You checked?"
"They made me look over it."
"Haha, and then?"
"You and that photographer would have as many chances to meet as you and I do."
"Hurray." Yifan responded in a fake cheer.
"So!" Tao exclaimed.
"Hmm?" 
"If I remember your schedule correctly, I think you're free from lunch onwards tomorrow."
"Yeah, just need to go to the office in the morning for a briefing or something. Why?"
"Want to get lunch?"
"Sure! I'd appreciate someone to talk to other than myself."
"And you don't even have to talk in Chinese..."
"Huh?"
"I can converse perfectly in Korean." Tao admitted with a smile.
"Even more perfect!"
"Yes, I think that's the main reason why they asked me to be your buddy."
"Well, I'm glad my buddy isn't some typical arrogant model."
"You'd be surprised by how many people would be offended by that."
"They shouldn't; I'm one of them."
"Ditto."
The ride was rather short as the hotel was near the setting of the shoot.
"So, I'll see you tomorrow at the office?" Tao asked.
"Yes, lunchtime."
"Great! See you then. Good night!" the younger waved and Yifan waved back.

At least it had been an eventful day, Yifan thought. He didn't have to spend hours flipping through channels or walking around aimlessly.
When he reached his room, he walked straight to the refrigerator to get something to eat. But it was barely supplied: orange juice, leftover noodles, soda, instant food he had ordered yesterday, cake, water, mango juice.
"Why do I even have cake? I don't really like eating it..." he thought.
And it is with that mind that he walked to the living room and searched his bag for his phone.
Yifan had almost forgot because of his schedules. He'd almost forgot that today was the day he decided to try to make things right - or, rather, to at least move forward with what he had caused.
So he breathed in and out heavily, trying to gain courage as he unlocked his phone and looked into his contacts. 
With one big breath out, he pressed "Dial" and in a few seconds, there was an answer.

"Hello?"
"Hello, 'Xing?"
"Oh...! Hi, Yifan..."
"Sorry for not calling you earlier..."
"It's okay, I understand."

And Yifan swore his heart beat as fast as it did when he confessed.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------  
A/N: Hello! First of, again, sorry for the late update. Hopefully I'll be able to update more quickly during the holidays... less things to do. :D Second, I promise to try to reply to some comments from now on, I miss talking to everyone. Hope you stick with this story til the end!
Btw, I read Fate-given clues. well, tried to... i couldn't i keep cringing...raahhh. why did you guys even read that? HAHA. just kidding. please don't hate it.