7

Another Star

The following days were harsh, and Kyungsoo found it bothersome to see Kai. More so because he’s come to understand what his CEO had done. It wasn’t nice. But nonetheless not against the law either. Kyungsoo keeps the information to himself though, for he’s seen a possibility to make use of SM and Kai’s name. Immoral one may think. But there’s no room for thoughts like that. Not when Kyungsoo knows how hard it is to survive in the world of kpop. And so he disregards the uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach before he heads over to where Kai’s standing.

 

“I almost thought you wouldn’t show.” Kyungsoo doesn’t understand why Kai would think that. He’s never, not once, showed up late or cancelled. He didn’t even think it was possible considering the tight schedule and the fact that a lot of people depended on him.

 

“I’m here now aren’t I.” He answers, and turns just in time to see Kai frown. The expression upon the other’s face is enough for Kyungsoo to realize that Kai is either upset or annoyed about something. Whether it has anything to do with him, he doesn’t know. He doesn’t really care for he’s got enough problems himself. Another kiss scene. There was a difference this time around because it would be more intense. And just imagining it sent shivers down his spine.

 

The two of them weren’t the only ones on set and they have to wait whilst other actors film their parts. It’s a wait that takes far longer than any of them expects and a sudden downpour halts the production for an hour and a half. It’s ninety minutes were Kyungsoo naps and gets something to eat. And when Kai watches over the older male. Kai makes sure Kyungsoo doesn’t notice him though, for he’s unsure how to act when he’s around the other male. The incident a few days prior has made him hesitant too, because he feels like Kyungsoo’s hiding something. And to speak to his own CEO was out of the question. At least at the moment. No. He was going to keep an eye on Kyungsoo and see what it leads.

 

The sun has almost set by the time the filming resumes, and both Kyungsoo and Kai are ordered to their positions. Despite feeling uneasy, Kyungsoo gets into character, his shy self no longer as obvious as Kai advances. Any previous annoyance or irritation is long gone for he’s suddenly hit with a thought that makes no sense. That specific thought that makes his heart flutter for a second, vanishes when Kai speaks.

 

“Why are you here? I thought I told you to stop bothering me.” The words hit him like a speeding train, and he feels his stomach drop when he meet Kai’s gaze. It’s hard, unforgiving. And although it goes exactly according to the script, Kyungsoo can’t help but to think that something’s wrong. His emotions are not displayed like he thought. In fact. His reaction to Kai’s speech is far from what he imagined. A feat that doesn’t go unnoticed.

 

“Stop. Stop the filming.” Yet again Kyungsoo’s managed to halt the production. And yet again he has to listen to the director as the latter instructs him how he’s supposed to be angry, to question Kai’s statement. To not give in and be sad. Kyungsoo knows right away that it’s because of his failure to set aside his own emotions that they have to do a retake. He doesn’t understand why he reacted like that. It wasn’t like he was surprised or anything, at the harsh tone in which Kai spoke. No. He knew of that before the filming began.

 

The scene is quickly redone all over again and everything goes smoothly until they approach the moment where they’re, Kyungsoo and Kai, are supposed to film their second kiss scene and someone shouts that the camera no longer works. Small puffs of smoke rise from the device and Kyungsoo heaves a small sigh of relief, because this might give him some extra time to prepare himself. He isn’t so sure it will work though, considering he had weeks to get ready for the first kiss.

 

Kyungsoo moves about and head to get a glass of water when Hoya steps up to him. The other asks if he knows anything about what will happen. If they’re going to be able to fix the camera anytime soon. He has no idea what’s wrong and therefore shrugs. Kyungsoo has no knowledge about cameras and how long this delay might take. A part of him wishes that they have to halt the filming for a day or two. But another part wishes that they can get going soon, so that his scene with Kai will be over and done with.

 

Minutes pass by and Kai comes into view all the whilst Kyungsoo and Hoya watches as staff run about to give and retrieve information from one another. It’s a chaotic scene to say the least. Quite comical too, for it looks like a zoo.

 

“So. Any news of what’s going to happen?” Kai asks and Kyungsoo takes a quick glance at the other male before he once again shrugs. He’s got no idea what will happen now. Truth to be told, he isn’t sure if he actually cares. All he wants is some food and a bed. But Kyungsoo’s rather certain they’ll fix the camera and that the filming will resume soon enough. There’s not a chance they’ll postpone since they’re almost behind schedule. They will probably have to work through the night if so needed since the episode is to be aired in less than a week.

 

It’s one of the reasons why he hates this. Why he hates to film a drama.

 

Tight schedules is just one of the components.

 

Another ten minutes pass and Kyungsoo shivers where he stands. Night has fallen and it’s getting real cold. Wearing just a high school uniform doesn’t do much when it’s almost winter and it wouldn’t surprise him if snow began to fall anytime now. Unfortunately for him, and Kai, and Hoya, they can’t leave. Well. He’s not so sure about Hoya. But he and Kai must wait for some news before they can do anything. News that seem to take forever.

 

“Don’t tell me we have to wait out here all night.” Kai says with a slight tremble in his voice. To which Kyungsoo can’t help but crack a smile. It’s not very nice, he thinks, to feel glad that Kai’s also freezing. But it feels like a small revenge nonetheless, after the other’s stunt a few days earlier when he suddenly showed up at Kyungsoo’s apartment. His thoughts are soon interrupted however, by Hoya’s manager who tells the latter that they can leave. Kyungsoo wishes he could leave, too, as he watch how Hoya bids goodbye and steps inside a van that soon enough drives away. To say he was jealous would be an understatement.

 

“God it’s cold.”

 

“What do you expect. It’s winter.” There’s no real thought behind his reply. It’s more something he says to keep his mind off of the fact that his fingers were starting to numb. Not that it works because he’s now more aware of the cold that eats away at his body. Yet another reason why Kyungsoo hates this.

 

A while later, and after having waited out in the cold for nearly forty-five minutes, do they receive the information that they need to stay. A new camera is set to arrive, which means Kyungsoo and Kai have to wait for an indefinite amount of time. Much to Kyungsoo’s relief, he’s allowed to rest in the van whilst he waits. Kai is also given the opportunity to do so.

 

Tired and exhausted, Kyungsoo falls asleep as soon as he sits down in his usual seat. His dreams are invaded by nightmares though. Kai specifically, was involved and it was not long before he woke up with a startle, eyes wide and with heavy breathing. Nightmares were nothing new. But this particular dream was.

 

“Nightmare?” The sudden voice causes Kyungsoo a mere heart attack. He wasn’t ready for that and turns to Kai, who’s staring right at him. What Kai did there, inside the van was the first question to pop up in Kyungsoo’s head. He didn’t have to ask because Kai must have sensed his curiosity for he answered. If not slightly fleeting about how his own van was ice cold and how he’d asked for permission from Kyungsoo’s manager.

 

“Can you leave.” Kyungsoo wants to have some time to himself before the recording starts up again. And knowing Kai, he wouldn’t get much peace and quiet with the other around.

 

“Are you nervous? You know, about the kiss?” Kyungsoo sends Kai a glare. He doesn’t want to hear any of that right now. And to make matters worse, Kai laughs. It tears into his heart and makes Kyungsoo uneasy. So uneasy in fact that he tells the other male to stop. He’s uncomfortable by what’s to come and it’s not made easier by Kai, who thinks the ordeal is funny.

 

“Why. Are you afraid you’ll like it?” What’s with the obsession if he’s going to like it or not.

 

“No. I am not. Are you?” Kyungsoo dares to look at Kai as he speaks, and is surprised when the other scoffs. It’s not so much the action itself that comes as a shock. But more the expression on the other’s face. If he didn’t know better he would think Kai was embarrassed. With that aside, Kyungsoo clears his throat and makes a move to get out of the van. As he does, his attention is once again captured by Kai and he glances over his shoulder just in time to hear the latter speak.

 

“I have a girlfriend.”

 

The remaining scenes are concluded several hours later and Kyungsoo’s back home at 3.30AM. He’s not only drained physically but mentally as well. And so after a quick trip to the kitchen and a cupboard where he grab some candy, he collapses in bed. Kyungsoo isn’t one to complain, but he wonders if he shouldn’t say something about the fact that his body feels weird. He’s pretty much felt constant pain in his stomach the last couple of days and he knows that’s not normal. To add on with his worries, he’s certain he almost passed out as they were recording the last scene.

 

Kyungsoo thinks it’s due to stress.


He says nothing though, and falls asleep with a half eaten piece of candy between his lips and with his mind on the kiss he shared with Kai earlier that night.