4

Another Star

Kyungsoo’s visiting the nJOY building the following day. He’s been told his boss wants to speak with him. It’s always nerve wracking to meet the older male, and it’s no difference this time either. And Kyungsoo can’t help but to feel nervous as he steps inside the room and takes a seat in a chair opposite the man who decides everything within the company. He’s even more anxious now, for he knows he’s done something he wasn’t supposed to. He and Kai left the SM building the previous day despite being told not to.

 

“How are you doing? Everything okay?” Kyungsoo nods and gives a simple answer in response. He knows there’s no idea in trying to explain that he’s constantly tired and hungry and . . . His thoughts are abruptly cut short as the man speaks again.

 

“That’s good. Now, do you now why I’ve called you here?” There’s really no point in lying and so he admits to having left the SM building despite being told to stay inside. Someone probably told his manager, who in return, passed the message on to his boss. Kyungsoo isn’t one to go against the rules. In fact, he can’t remember a single time he’s done that, and so it’s rather unfamiliar to him. This situation. Surely there’s got to be some punishment. At least that’s what Kyungsoo imagines.

 

“There are pictures of you and Kai on the internet.” That was new information to Kyungsoo for he thought their disguise hid their identity pretty well. That didn’t seem to be the case now, especially since fans, probably Kai’s, had taken photographs of them together. Due to this, he grew even more worried that this would create problems. Even though he didn’t see the ordeal as something to get too worked up over. Like, it was just pictures of them walking side-by-side. But someone else might not like it. His boss might be one of them. And who knew how SM saw it.

 

“I know I shouldn’t have left and I’m -.” Once again was he interrupted by his boss, who raised his hand as if to say that it was enough, that he didn’t want to hear any excuses.

 

“I’ll let it slide just this time. But. I have something else I want to take up with you.” Kyungsoo could barely hide his shock. It didn’t make any sense why the older male took it with such ease. More so because he’d heard stories of a trainee who’d been kicked out after going against one of the many rules set up by the company. So, what was different this time? Did the male cut him some slack because he normally did everything he was told, or because of something else? Kyungsoo wondered if it had anything to do with whatever his boss was about to say.

 

“I want you to get closer to Kai. Be around him as much as you can.” It didn’t take a genius to figure out why the male wanted him to stay close to Kai. Getting his pictures taken with the other idol was a possibility to get his name more known. To boost his publicity. Ingenious some might say. But Kyungsoo was a tad more skeptical about the trick. He feared he might come off as annoying. There was also a chance of Kai thinking he was just using him. On a side-note. His own thoughts didn’t mean much. He was just a puppet doing what he was told. And as much as he disliked it, he agreed.

 

“That was everything for now.” Just like that, Kyungsoo was dismissed to go about his own. Show Champion and drama filming. Those were his schedules for the day and it was with an uneasy feeling lingering in the pit of his stomach that he followed with his manager out to the van. Not even listening to music eased his troubled thoughts and he let out sigh after sigh as he thought about what he’d just been told. Kyungsoo would have to use Kai’s fame for his own winning. Sure it would be nice to get his name more well-known. But not means like that.

 

You need to understand that hard honest work doesn’t always pay off. Sometimes you need to use dirty tricks, was something his boss told him once, after Kyungsoo found out that the old man paid the three big tv stations to let him perform on their music shows. It wasn’t like it kept him up at night, knowing that his boss did what he did. But it certainly made Kyungsoo wonder what was expected. Did you really have to be from one of the big three to secure a spot, or how did it actually work? Show Champion and M Countdown was easier to perform at. For various reasons at that.

 

But this was the reality right now. The idol industry was so oversaturated with artists that it was impossible to let everyone perform, which meant that the lesser known Entertainments had to pay their way in. In that sense, Kyungsoo couldn’t help but feel jealous at those belonging to more well-known companies that could afford to promote their artists. SM Entertainment was one of them.

 

Show Champion progressed without trouble and Kyungsoo felt at ease when he stepped off the stage and made his way through the hallway towards the dressing rooms. People hurried past him, some of them giving him a quick greeting before they disappeared. He was just meters away from his dressing room when Seulgi appeared before him, thus causing him to come to a halt. Kyungsoo, even though he hadn’t heard what she wanted, disliked this situation already.

 

“Why did you meet up with Kai for?” Really. This again.

 

“Because of the drama.” Kyungsoo didn’t include the fact that there hadn’t been much talk about that. All they’d done at the norebang was pretty much sleep. He’d thought it was weird at first, that they only went there just for that. But he realized, when they were making their way back to the SM building, that it was the only place where the other didn’t have to be disturbed. It was a small getaway from hectic schedules and endless demands.

 

“Well. Can’t you take whatever you want to say at the filming? I’m sorry but it’s really irritating that you’re stealing valuable time.” Kyungsoo doesn’t want to make the situation worse, and so he tries to reason with Seulgi.

 

“I would have. But the meeting with Kai was set up by his and my manager. It wasn’t up to me to decide.” It looked like Seulgi couldn’t care less about his explanation. As if she didn’t expect an answer to her question, but more that he would understand and agree. Unfortunately for Seulgi, Kyungsoo could not make any promises about staying clear of Kai. Sure, he too wished the get-to-know-Kai ordeal could be taken care off on-set. But it didn’t work. Filming and preparations were in the way of that, which meant they now had to meet up outside the drama filming. They’d only met up once so far. But Kyungsoo’s body felt it, felt that the sleep deprivation that now had gotten worse, was making him uneasy. He fear his body would give in and it scared him to such an extent that he sneak a choco pie with him into the makeshift dressing room when he arrives at the set of the filming. No one’s present and he unwraps the sugary treat and takes a bite. It melts on his tongue and he heaves a sigh of pure bliss. But the high quickly makes way for hesitation. What if his manager found out? His boss would then, most likely, find out about it as well.

 

His decision of what he was supposed to to were left hanging when the door flung open and a certain Kai entered.

 

“I see you’ve finally decided to eat something. Good.” Dumbfounded, Kyungsoo could only stare. He isn’t really sure why Kai thinks it’s good that he’s about to gobble down an immense amount of empty calories that, in the end, would only make him more tired. The sugar rush wouldn’t last very long and Kyungsoo knows that he’d then have to face the troublesome task of trying to keep himself awake. And so he comes to the conclusion to just throw the treat away. It was for the best.

 

“What are you doing?” Kai asks just as he’s about to drop the snack in the trash.

 

“Why. You want it instead?” There’s a brief moment of confusion and Kyungsoo thinks he’s stupid for even asking. Why would Kai want something he’s taken a bite off. He turns on his heel and is just about to dump the choco pie when Kai snatches it from his hand. The action is so unexpected that Kyungsoo can’t help but look at the other, his lips parted. He’s certain it’s just a joke and therefore expects Kai to discard of the snack. But it never happens. Instead he watch as Kai bites into it, thus disregarding the fact that Kyungsoo’s also eaten from it.

 

“You shouldn’t waste food.” Kai states before he takes yet another bite. It’s still not settled, the shock of the moment, and Kyungsoo is right about to head over to where his clothes for the day are hanging when Kai speaks again.

 

“You’re embarrassed again.” It’s so straightforward that Kyungsoo’s cheeks flush. Of course he’s flustered. Who wouldn’t be when someone you barely know decides to eat something you’ve already taken a bite off. It’s not an everyday occurrence exactly.

 

“No need to be. I mean. We’re going to kiss and -.” Kyungsoo doesn’t listen to what the other male’s saying anymore because all he can focus on is what’s to come. The kiss. Or kisses to be exact. There’s going to be more than one. He knows because he’s already read the script. And he’s far from delighted by it. Then again. Kai’s probably not that happy about it either, since he’s got a girlfriend and all. The thought of Seulgi makes him cringe.

 

A sudden snap catches his attention and Kyungsoo glances over at Kai, who’s now taking photos of himself with the choco pie between his lips. He ignores the other male and instead begin to change his clothes. The high school uniform he’s been given is dark blue with white details and Kyungsoo takes a look at himself in the mirror when he’s fully dressed. Seeing himself like that sparks memories he’d rather forget. Memories of a high school life he, after a year, couldn’t handle. The life as a trainee, along with an ever growing amount of homework and an hectic school day was just too much for him. So he quit school when he was seventeen and had ever since focused entirely on his debut. It was a sacrifice. One he, until just three months ago, didn’t know if it would pay off. Being a trainee didn’t mean you were promised a debut. No. Being a trainee meant hard work, intense days, and no promises.

 

It’s not long before he feels a presence by his side and glances over his shoulder to check. His pulse skyrockets in a second and he almost trips over his feet when he’s about to move back. Kai’s sudden interruption of his personal space took him by surprise.

 

“What are you doing?” Kyungsoo asks as he tries to even his breathing back to normal.

 

“I can see why you don’t dance.” Kai states with a smile before he shoves his phone in the other’s face.

 

“Let’s take a picture.” It’s not what Kyungsoo’s expecting and so he chews on his bottom lip, his boss’ words ringing in his ears as he does. It would be an opportunity, especially if Kai were to publish the photo on a SNS’s account. If he had any that is. It strikes him then, how little he actually knows about the other male. In fact. All Kyungsoo knew about Kai was that he was a solo artist under SM Entertainment. And that he had a girlfriend. Much more than that he didn’t know. Right. And that he seemed rather interested in dancing. On a sidenote. Kyungsoo hadn’t revealed much about himself either.

 

Kyungsoo feels his whole body tense when Kai lean closer, the latter whom drapes his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulder. It’s awkward and he just wants the ordeal to be over and done with. And so he smiles and does his best to look at ease when Kai directs the camera at them. There’s a low click and a flash and Kyungsoo moves away in haste, eager to get out of there. Kai’s faster than him though, and he’s on pins and needles when the former latches onto his arm.

 

“Don’t pay attention to Seulgi. She’s . . .” Kai’s not sure how to end the sentence without making it too obvious that his relationship with the girl has hit a rough patch. Surely Kyungsoo doesn’t need to know about their problems.

 

“Anyway. Do you have a girlfriend or someone you like?” And so the attention was back on Kyungsoo, whose cheeks burned red. When would he have time for anyone else when he’s barely got time for himself. No. He didn’t have room for any relationship at the moment. But it’s not like he hasn’t thought about it. Well. Thought and thought. It was mostly when he saw other couples that such thoughts came to mind.

 

“I don’t have time for such things.” It shouldn’t come as a surprise considering most idols don’t have much spare time. Plus. Kyungsoo did not have the same benefit as Kai, whose girlfriend was from the same company. Kyungsoo on the other hand, couldn’t even remember that he’s seen a single female trainee at nJOY.

 

“Ah. I guess that’s understandable.” And with that the conversation was over and the two of them made their way out of the dressing room. They were greeted by the producer before they were ordered to get their makeup touched-up. Image was important and to look your very best was essential to do a good job. Sometimes however, could Kyungsoo find himself wonder if the whole beauty standard hadn’t gotten a bit too much. Plastic surgery, although he’s fixed some things himself, was something he especially saw as a problem that was getting out of hand. A bit paradoxical maybe, since he’s tweaked his features too. But . . .

 

“Kyungsoo.” Kai’s voice ended his train of thoughts.

 

“They want us to get to our positions.” Right. Of course. Kyungsoo stands and is right about to follow Kai out when Hoya enters. The latter smiles and greets the two and Kyungsoo’s first to speak.

 

“Congrats on the win today.” Kyungsoo’s grown to like INFINITE’s music quite a lot actually.

 

“Thanks. We’ve worked really hard for this comeback.” Kyungsoo’s smiling and nodding as Hoya explains. Kai’s not as thrilled though, and tugs at Kyungsoo’s hand to get the other’s attention. Which he also gets. But not in the way he want because Kyungsoo peels his hand away, his focus still on Hoya as he does. It’s not what Kai expected and he decides to leave. Much to Kyungsoo’s surprise, and he apologizes, not only for Kai but for himself too, because he needs to go out there and do what he’s paid to do. Act.

 

“Why are you so cold towards Hoya?” Kyungsoo asks as soon as he’s back by Kai’s side.

 

“Am I? Then maybe you should’ve seen the look he gave me.” What was he talking about? Kyungsoo didn’t understand what Kai was trying to say.

 

“What look? I didn’t notice anything.”


“Then maybe you should pay more attention.” Kai’s response come out a little harsher than he thought, and he feels bad when he sees how Kyungsoo’s expression changes into one of sadness.