3

Another Star

Kyungsoo awakes when the clock on the nightstand rings. He sit up, rubs his eyes, and then move to get down from the bunk bed. He almost slips, barely managing to grab a hold of the bed before he falls. Something is wet and Kyungsoo stares at his feet. A transparent liquid - water in other words - has run out on the floor. The culprit of the incident, he finds, is the fridge. It must have stopped working overnight and all the ice did now decorate the floor as a small swimmingpool.

 

Knowing there’s nothing he can do, Kyungsoo heads for the bathroom and his usual morning shower. He can’t lay around in bed even though he’s got a day off without schedules. No. He’s got other things to take care off. Such as meeting up with Kai. The latter has just finished the promotions for his latest mini album, which means he isn’t as busy anymore. Kyungsoo is fairly certain however, that the other male is keeping himself occupied. Kyungsoo knows you can’t slack off just because you’ve got no promotions. And if you’re not promoting, you are most likely to be found training. You are always expected to show upgraded skills and the only way to do so is through intense practice. It’s hard. Kyungsoo, if anyone, knows that. But it’s become necessary in an oversaturated K-pop world where entertainment companies debut groups and solo artist every other day. And the only way to have a chance is to showcase your skills. That you have something extraordinary. Or be from a company that can afford to promote you.

 

Kyungsoo’s suddenly curious about Kai. About the latter’s experiences and hardships. Although Kyungsoo would never admit it, he’s a bit jealous at Kai. At the opportunities the other male seems to have. The thought is depressing him and he lets his mind wander as he steps into the shower. The water is freezing cold and he lets out a scream before he takes a step back, his eyes wide and staring up at the showerhead. He’s growing increasingly bothered by the fact that everything is shutting off. They need to move. It’s not a matter of if, but when. Kyungsoo doesn’t think he can stand having to live there much longer, especially not as winter approaches. He does not want to experience the horror of waking up to a room without a working heater.

 

“Are you okay in there?” There’s a knock on the door and he’s quick to reply that the water won’t heat up.

 

“I’ll remember that. But you really need to get ready because we have to leave in fifteen minutes.” In other words that meant he had to shower. Luckily for him, the water managed to heat up a bit. But it was far from pleasant and he hurried to shower and dry himself before he dressed. Kyungsoo knew they were only meeting up with Kai and therefore decided on jeans and a simple shirt. He found no point in overdoing it.

 

Kyungsoo found no point in watching the road either, his head was propped against the window and his eyelids closed. Just like usual. And it wasn’t until loud screams met his ears that he awoke from his slumber and glanced out the window. It was crowded with girls and Kyungsoo wondered what was going on. He even got a bit scared when they swarmed around the car. To make matters worse, he jumped in his seat when someone pressed her face against the window. The whole ordeal was just insane and he realized why there were so many people when he spotted the huge sign on the building in front. SM Entertainment.

 

“What are we doing here?” A stupid question maybe. But nonetheless one Kyungsoo wanted an answer to as his manager drove over to the entrance. The van came to a stop before the older male glanced at Kyungsoo in the rearview mirror.

 

“His manager thought it was for the best if the meeting was held here.” Knowing there was no reason to question the decision, Kyungsoo grabbed his belongings and slid open the backdoor. If he thought the screams were loud before, it was nothing in comparison to the wall of sound he met as he stepped out. It was eardefening for a second before the more part of them seemed to realize who he was. Or who he wasn’t. He didn’t belong to the SM family. Kyungsoo was rather certain they had no idea who he was for he saw disappointment written on pretty much everyone’s faces.

 

The foyer was quite nice. A guard greeted him right as he stepped inside the doors. Much to his relief, he didn’t need to wait long either, before Kai arrived. The latter was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and smiled brightly as he advanced forward to where Kyungsoo stood. Why does he always smile like that, he thinks, as he acknowledge the other male with a quick nod of his head.

 

“Sorry if I’m late. I had dance practice. Well, you know how it is. Either it’s promotion or practice. Anyhow. Where should we go? This place is kind of boring.” Kyungsoo isn’t sure what to say to that. He’s right though. Their days are either filled with promotions or practice. On a sidenote. He wondered if they were allowed to leave the premises. He thought they were supposed to be there. In the building so to not attract attention. Sure it was common to have friends in other Entertainments. Or at least that’s what he’s heard. Kyungsoo doesn’t have firsthand experience in that department since he has no friends.

 

“I didn’t think we were allowed to leave.” He remembers the words his manager spoke just before he left the van. Do not leave the building. Stay there until I come and get you. Kyungsoo is therefore skeptical at Kai’s suggestion of leaving. It would never have crossed his mind to go against what he’s told. Especially not when it’s an order from his manager. He doesn’t even want to think of the consequences if he were to head out without consenting the older male.

 

Kai’s looking at him, as if expecting him to continue. To come up with a better suggestion. But Kyungsoo does not have one and he’s already uncomfortable so he goes with with Kai said. The latter immediately smiles a little brighter.

 

“Great. I’ll be right back. I’m just going to grab my things.” And so Kyungsoo’s once again left all alone. His mind is telling him to rethink the decision he’s made, to tell Kai that it would really be for the best if they stayed inside. His thoughts are briskly interrupted though, and he’s overwhelmed when Kai places a cap on his head. It’s so surreal that he glances up at the other male with wide eyes.

 

“Relax. It’s only for disguise. Here. Take this too.” Kai hands him a mask to cover his mouth with.

 

Kyungsoo isn’t exactly delighted as they head out through the backdoor and crosses the street. To his relief, no one seems to take any interest in the two of them as they move down the pavement. He’s got no idea where they’re going and is right about to ask when a honk sounds and he has no time to react before Kai grabs onto his arm and pulls him aside just in time as a bicycle swishes past. Kyungsoo’s heart is beating wildly and he swallows, because that was close. Far too close and he can’t help but to wonder what would’ve happened if he was run over. The injuries he would sustain. He shakes his head as to clear his mind from the horrible images.

 

“Do you always space out?” Suddenly he’s very aware of the fact that Kai is standing next to him and still holding onto his arm. He steps back in haste, and thus collide with another person who is passing behind him. Embarrassed by the incident he sighs and lets his shoulders fall. He’s uneasy and awkward. It’s been so many years since he’s actually had a normal conversation that he’s sort of forgotten how it’s done. Befriending people had never been his forte unless the other person lead the way. It was easier like that. If the other person was asking the questions and coming with the suggestions. He isn’t sure how it came to be like that. Why he backs away so easily. Why he . . .

 

Deep down he knows exactly why he is like that.

 

“I’m making you uncomfortable, aren’t I.” Kyungsoo feels like he has to deny it, and so he tries. But Kai is all smiles and pearly whites as he speaks.

 

“I can see it on your face. And you aren’t much of a liar.” His cheeks flush pink. Was it really that obvious?

 

“Are you afraid your manager will find out that you went out despite being told not to? Or is it because of me that you are uneasy?” How? Kyungsoo can’t help but stare now. How was it possible for Kai to now about what his manager said? And that’s about when it crossed his mind that maybe Kai was told the same. To stay inside and not go anywhere.

 

“It’s not like that.” He defends himself before he adds.

 

“I’m just not very good with people. I think. I think I’m awkward and it . . .  Yeah. I guess it doesn’t go very well with what I’m doing. Being an idol and all.” Kyungsoo sighs yet again. It’s not every day he’s allowed to speak his mind. Then again. A part of him fears Kai might do something with the information just exposed. Maybe the other male would find pleasure in revealing what Kyungsoo’s said. On a side-note. He’s got a far bigger scandal in Kai and Seulgi’s relationship. One he’s rather certain SM Entertainment would deny to the end of the world.

 

“Why did you want to become an idol then?” The question wasn’t exactly new. He’d been asked that exact same thing countless of times before but he felt like Kai was actually curious of the answer in difference to the others who’ve asked. The ones who wanted an answer but didn’t really care about the story behind his decision. And so whilst Kai guided them forward in the crowded area, Kyungsoo replied.

 

“Because I want to sing. It’s the only thing I know. The only thing I want to do.” It’s so brutally honest, his words, that Kyungsoo himself is a bit taken aback by his forwardness. Kai nods though, and Kyungsoo can’t help but to feel relieved when the other male leads him through the door of a building and thus gets away from the busy street. He thinks it would be nice with some quietness. With silence and nothing more than that. To be able to think and speak without being interrupted every other second.

 

“Come on.” Kai ushers him up the staircase and into a room on the far end of the corridor. A norebang. Kai’s taken him to a norebang. He’s curious as to why the other chose this place. Kyungsoo wonders if Kai really wants to be there at all, because the other male flops down on the sofa and leans back, thus giving Kyungsoo quite the sight of the other’s throat and jawline.

 

“We didn’t come here to sing, did we?” Kyungsoo’s suddenly wary of the motive behind the idea of going to a norebang. More so because Kai is uninterested by the microphones, the flashing strobelight in the ceiling, and the tv filled with so many songs it needed a thick book to make it easier to chose what to sing.

 

“Could you turn off the lights, please.” Kai’s eyes are already closed, which leaves Kyungsoo slightly confused. Did they come there just so Kai could sleep. Was that it? Couldn’t he have slept in the practice room or something. It was much cheaper and they wouldn’t have had to leave the SM building.  

 

“Why? I thought we -” Kyungsoo’s interrupted by Kai.

 

“I’m exhausted alright. And I really need some peace and quiet right now. So please.” Kyungsoo doesn’t really know what to do with himself. He’s just standing there, awkwardly, before Kai’s eyes flash open and meets his. The other’s gaze is so intense it makes Kyungsoo’s stomach churn and it’s not before long that he looks away, an unsettling feeling lingering in the pit of his stomach. It’s a confusing feeling, because he can’t understand why he’s reacting like that.


“Okay. Alright.”