Strike 2 Before the Party

Siblings and In Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sungjong’s POV

 

 

 

“Oh, mother, are you done talking with those people from earlier?” I casually asked mom, who just suddenly appeared out of nowhere beside me.

 

 

 

“Yeah, they didn’t have much of anything useless to say… Hmm anyway, enough about me. What about you?”

 

 

 

“Eh?” I don’t know what my mom could possibly be curious about me right now. She couldn’t have seen Myungsoo hyung intertwining our fingers, right?

 

 

 

“There are several presidents from companies around the world here. You need to be proactively speaking with them.” Oh. So that’s what it is about. Again. “Perhaps you’ll find love at first sight?”

 

 

 

I frowned and rolled my eyes at her. “I didn’t come here for that, mother.”

 

 

 

“Someone suitable could appear for Sungjong. Why would you encourage unnatural conversation?” Myungsoo hyung seemed to be holding back his anger, squeezing my hand tightly as ever as he replied t my mother. He grasped it so strongly that my hand and my fingers hurt somewhat. But the joy within my heart was stronger. Myungsoo hyung was acting like he couldn’t stand the thought of giving me to someone else.

 

 

 

“Myungsoo. I thought you were aware of this as well, but marriage for love isn’t something Sungjong can do.” I gasped and Myungsoo hyung scoffed. I can’t believe mother can say things like this about me...

 

 

 

“No matter who he was born to, he is now a member of your family. He must marry someone who is rich. What you and Sungjong want has nothing to do with it.” With those suggestive words, my mother slipped back into the crowd.

 

 

 

I wonder if those people earlier made her tense…?

 

 

I thought maybe it was something else, but I wasn’t sure at all.

 

 

 

“This is frustrating.” Myungsoo hyung started minutes after mom left.

 

 

 

“Eh?”

 

 

 

“That flirt could probably be by you earlier. But I can’t because I’m your hyung.” I watched him in silence, letting him go on. “Not being able to be here without hiding the fact that we are holding hands is nothing but frustrating.”

 

 

 

“Myungsoo hyung…”

 

 

 

“I know that me complaining like this has to be annoying for you though.” He gave me a sad smile and I wasn’t sure what to say in reply. I knew that no matter what I said, it wouldn’t make him feel any better.

 

 

 

“Hey, come to think of it,” He sounded a bit bright this time so I confusedly raised an eyebrow at him. “There’s a fortune teller coming to the party tomorrow.”

 

 

 

“Fortune teller?” That sounds cool.

 

 

 

“A mutual friend of Seungsung ssi and father. They invited her because it’s been so long since they’ve had the chance to meet. Well, I can’t remember her name, but apparently she’s really famous.”

 

 

 

“Really? I wonder if I could get my fortune told…”

 

 

 

“What do you want your fortune told for?” He asked me curiously, softly squeezing my hand, his thumb brushing gently on mine.

 

 

 

“Something along the lines of, “Will I get married to the person that I really like?”” I had meant to say it jokingly, but Myungsoo hyung didn’t laugh and his expression grew complex.

 

 

 

“Sorry…”I apologized and bowed my head in embarrassment. “I didn’t really mean to bug you. Did that hit a nerve?”

 

 

 

“No, that’s probably a good thing to ask. You should try asking because I don’t want to ask.” He said in a very serious tone. “It’s not that I don’t believe in them, but I believe in carving out my own future. I think that listening to a fortune teller will guide your actions, so I don’t want to ask.”

 

 

 

“Really? If they say something good, you don’t mind but if it’s something bad, you’ll get sad about it right?”

 

 

 

“It’s the getting sad part in particular. Especially those that get worried over fortunes in magazines.”

 

 

 

“Oh. When you put it that way, then I shouldn’t say a thing.” Honestly, I desperately wanted to talk to the fortune teller. But I’ll be in trouble if it ends with me being sad.

 

 

I should probably just give up on the whole fortune thing.

 

 

 

“We’ll have plenty of free time before the party tomorrow. How about we go to the garden?” He beamed at me and I can’t help but be blinded with it. “I heard the jam they make from the roses in the garden is delicious.”

 

 

 

“Really? Wow, I can’t wait!” I squealed all excitedly that I almost jumped from joy.

 

 

 

“The castle tour should be ending soon. You should go rest early after dinner because you’ll probably be tired because of the party tomorrow. And obviously, you have to be tired from the long flight today.”

 

 

 

“Yeah, you should get some rest too.”

 

 

 

"Alright, just keep an eye on people around you.” Myungsoo hyung spoke to me, then let go of my hand.

 

 

 

“Ah…” I gasped so I quickly covered my mouth.

 

 

 

“Sungjongie?” Myungsoo turned back to check on me.

 

 

 

“Oh… It’s nothing.” Actually, it's because of the sudden disappearance of warmth from my hand left my heart feeling lonely.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter