005

Hollowed Bodies
 
005
What happens to the military in the zombie apocalypse?
"Remember guys, not just bikes, but also melee weapons and anything we can use for survival." Yunho held on to JinHee's hand. He didn't mind he was on babysitting duty. It was more of a chance to figure out more about the secret lovechild and the mother.

 

Junsu slipped his backpack on, checking himself for any loose items. "We should get some books."

 

"Why?" Jaejoong stared at his reflection in the mirror, silently picking at all the flaws on his face.

 

Yoochun sighed, and forced Jaejoong away from the mirror. "Survival books. We're celebrities, and I don't know about you, but I don't know a single thing about surviving in the wilderness."

 

"Yeah, but we were about to go camping."

 

Yoochun whacked the other's head. "With modern things. Things that made it easier."

 

"Wasting daylight." Changmin already looked ready to leave.

 

"Right, let's just go."

 

"Wait!" Yunho took a few steps forward, looking at the four other members. He didn't like the gut feeling that something was wrong. If they were leaving, he should be going with them to. 

 

Yoochun sighed, and tightened the straps. "What now?"

 

"In case anything happens to the house, or someone gets lost or anything. Head to the SM building. Cheongdam."

 

Jaejoong stared before turning to JinHee. It was only a good backup plan if everyone knew where to go. "JinHee, do you know where the SM building is?"

 

JinHee shook her head.

 

"Don't worry, I'll go over it with her. Do you have a map anywhere?" Yunho picked up JinHee, placing her on his hip and looked around the house. The sight of the two made his heart jump. Yunho was always good with kids. Though Jaejoong dreaded how he would react if he knew she was his.

 

Jaejoong turned away. "No. Just pull up a map app on your phone."

 

"Oh, right." Yunho pulled his lips together, staring at the ground.

 

Changmin sighed obviously. "Now can we leave?"

 

"Sure, sure. Fine."

 

"Everyone come back in four hours. Even if you don't have a bike." Jaejoong took one last look around the room.

 

"Yes, mom." Changmin groaned out before opening the door. He could feel the stares as he could feel the doorknob he was about to crumple. "Sorry."

 

---

 

Jaejoong never thought he'd see the streets as empty as they were. Especially since he was an idol. But there he was, walking down a street, with Changmin no less, in broad daylight. Completely empty with the exception of the few zombies that lingered in the streets. Not a sound could be heard, not even the birds' chirping.

 

"We're in freaking Gangnam. How the hell are there no bikes around?"

 

"Maybe because we're in Gangnam."

 

Changmin sighed. "True."

 

"Oh. Are those what I think they are?"

 

Changmin stopped, and followed the pointed finger. Crashed on the ground were four bikes. "Wait. Do you hear that?"

 

"The anthem?"

 

"The military!"

 

"Those idiots are going to draw them all out."

 

As if on cue, the gasps of zombies could be heard. The two of them hid in the bushes. Not a second too late, a pack of zombies appeared seemingly out of nowhere, following the sound of the anthem.

 

As the military go closer, the louder the anthem played, the more zombies that appeared. "Any citizens in the vicinity, please report to the Seongnam military base!"

 

Changmin looked at Jaejoong, a hopeful glimmer in his eye. However, Jaejoong was gone. He gasped, his eyes swiping the streets. He caught the back of a Moldir bag disappearing into the side-street that had the bikes.

 

With the zombie's attention on the military convoy, Changmin darted to the side street, following the wall of housing. "You there! Citizen!"

 

Changmin froze, and his wide eyes stared at the vehicle that stopped for him. "Citizen! Please--"

 

Changmin stared at the military vehicle, mouth gaping as he hesitated. His choice was made for him when the pack of zombies reached the convoy.

 

Changmin dashed into the side street, where Jaejoong was already on one bike, holding another, ready to go. Their eyes met, and Changmin saw the pure fear Jaejoong had. He ushered him to move, and Jaejoong kick started the bike, rolling down the hill. The bike Changmin snatched was too small for him, but he was sure it could fit Junsu, or maybe even Yoochun. 

 

--

 

"Perfect! But what idiot leaves bike in the middle of the street? Yoochun crossed his arms, staring at the pile of bikes literally in the middle of the streets. Not a zombie to be seen.

 

Junsu snorted. "Maybe a bike gang..."

 

"A bike gang wouldn't just leave their pile of bikes there."

 

The two stared at the pile of bikes until Junsu shrugged and walked forward. "Come on. It's the only bikes we've seen for blocks."

 

"We should have been in Japan when it hit. They have tons of bikes."

 

"Maybe we should."

 

"Go to Japan?"

 

"Yeah. Grab a boat, and hope they don't have zombies."

 

"I didn't know you could navigate."

 

"I don't. But I could figure it out."

 

"Yeah, Sure. And I can do magic tricks."

 

"Well you have been nicknamed--"

 

"Don't. Say it." Something hot grazed Yoochun's hand the same time they heard a gunshot. The two ducked, covering their heads.

 

Immediately surrounded them were a group of seven. A pistol was pointed at Yoochun, and the rest had baseball bats. One guy had a shiv. "Well, well. Look who we have here, boys. Yoochun the idiot, and Junsu the smartass."

 

A lady stepped out from behind the tree, and Junsu froze at the sigh. She took her time walking up to them, ignoring Yoochun and going straight to Junsu. She caressed his face, and for a brief moment he forgot everything. "My Junsu. My sweet, sweet Junsu."

 

"Seunghee."

 

The woman smiled at her name, before giving Junsu a slap across the face. It rang out, and Yoochun tore his face away to spot for zombies. "Who is she?"

 

"Oh. He never told you?" Seunghee scowled as she stared down Junsu. He couldn't even look her in the face. The stray gravel on the street was particularly interesting. As was that one man's shoes. American Timberland. "This dated me in secret and when we fought, left me to rot. Kill them."

 

Yoochun jumped up and slammed his body against the man with the gun. He missed, and instead shot one of his men. The man fell, and Yoochun grabbed the pistol. He pointed it at anyone who dared come close to either of them as they ran off.

 

They ran down enough side streets to the point that they were lost. "Hold up." Junsu stopped, heaving.

 

"Oh god. Oh god, oh god." Yoochun tossed the gun on the floor, causing Junsu to flinch. His fingers trembled as the last of the adrenaline died down.

 

"Careful with that thing!"

 

Yoochun paced back and forth, his hands pushing back his hair. "How did they even get guns?"

 

"Look at the markings. It's military."

 

"American. They stole it?”

 

Junsu nodded. “Convoys were American, too. Nice to know they’re helping out.”

 

“Who was that woman?"

 

"You heard her."

 

"Yeah but...Just...damn it! You had to say bike gangs. Couldn't you have said zebra gang? Or cake gang?"

 

Junsu stared at Yoochun stupidity before shaking his head and wiping the sweat from his brow. "We're going to need that."

 

Yoochun stared at the gun, his breath coming to a calm, and picked it up again. "If they catch us--"

 

"They won't. I promise."

 

Yoochun sighed and tucked the gun in the back of his pants. He didn't know if it was safe or not, but he had seen plenty of people on TV do. "Let's go. We still need some bikes."

 

--

 

Yunho was going over the directions with Jinhee when the clocks shut off. “Oh no.” Yunho groaned and got up. It was daylight for now, but if it didn’t come on by nighttime. Well, Yunho didn’t want to think about that. He tried flicking the lights on and off multiple times on multiple light switches. The power was definitely out.

 

“Well, that’s what the building looks like. Can you help me look for come candles?”

 

“The only candles daddy has stink.” Jinhee gasped as she covered her gaping mouth, and stared at the other.

 

“Daddy?” JinHee shushed him ran into the bathroom. Kid was too smart. Yunho followed.

 

When he caught up with her, she was pulling out an entire tray of scented candles. Some of them hadn’t even been open yet. “Oh, Jaejoong. How am I not surprised.”

 

“You know me.” Yunho turned around, to see Jaejoong frowning at them, arms crossed, and leaning on the door frame. “Why are you two rummaging through my stuff?”

 

“Uh…Power’s out.”

 

“I thought I noticed something different.” Jaejoong stared at the ceiling light. Eventually his eyes trailed down and to the tray of his candles. The two looked so guilty, holding the tray of candles so close. Especially JinHee. He rolled his eyes. “You don’t want the house smelling like a scented lotion factory exploded. Come on.” Led the Yunho into his closet, and switched the generator on.

 

Yunho stared at him. “Why?”

 

“Why not?” Jaejoong tripped over the corner of his sofa, cursing at it before he headed to the kitchen. Changmin peaked over the newspaper, glanced between the two before immediately ducking his head down. JinHee also tried to peak over, but Changmin wouldn’t allow it, as he firmly planted a hand on her head and forced her to look back at the newspaper.

 

“That's not what I mean. Please, Jaejoong. Don’t hide anything from me.”

 

Jaejoong turned back, staring at him with annoyed eyes. “Who says I’m hiding anything?”

 

Yunho tossed the box on the sofa, the contents rattling a bit, and continued to follow Jaejoong. He had enough of whatever game the other was playing when he started to make food. Yunho grabbed his arm and forced him to face him. “You have to trust me at some point. You even went and got me before everything turned to hell!”

 

“Yes, I went and got you. But only because I can’t live with myself knowing you’re dead. I’d rather have you next to me and ignoring you, than have you dead somewhere.” Jaejoong shook the other off his arm, turning his back again to prepare lunch.

 

Yunho scowled, threw his hands up in frustration, and planted himself in the recliner. Changmin glanced up, spotting Yunho sitting right next to him. One look at his face and he rolled his eyes. “Don’t pout, you’ll set a bad example for the kid.”

 

Yunho sighed and rubbed his temples. “I forgot how to deal with him.”

 

“Just leave him be. You know he’ll cool off on his own.” Changmin flipped the page of the newspaper. Reports from half of the world were claiming that a severe plague hit their borders. He chuckled. “Plague my .”

 

“Hm?”

 

“The—” Changmin glanced down at JinHee, who was staring at the drawing Yunho made for her. “Soulless have been reported everywhere.”

 

“Everywhere?” Jaejoong turned around, his curiosity peaked.

 

“Every place that let’s people in their borders.”

 

Yunho leaned back in the recliner. “That’s everywhere, Min.”

 

“Exactly.” Changmin took out the section of the newspaper with the article, and handed it to Yunho.

 

“Well, not everywhere.” Jaejoong glanced back to see both sets of eyes on him. It was unnerving at best. “North Korea.”

 

The doors burst open, and Junsu rolled in two bikes. He tossed them in the corner and dragged Yoochun in. They both slammed the door and locked it. Junsu looked at Yunho, eyes wide and chest heaving. “We really need to take care of the ones in here.”

 

“Guess what we got.” Yoochun slid the gun across the table and sat himself on the nearest seat. Changmin reacted and covered up JInHee with his body before noticing it wasn’t doing anything.

 

“Get that gun out of this house!” Yunho shouted.

 

“Gun?” Jaejoong whirled around. As nice as it was to see Changmin attempting to protect his daughter, it was still a gun. “JinHee, get over here please.”

 

She did was she was told, sensing the panic in her father’s voice. She slid from Changmin’s grasp, and followed the instructions to sit behind the counter.

 

“Where do we put the bikes?” Junsu wiped the sweat from his face, still breathing hard from their mad dash up the stairs to avoid the zombies. He looked around, and spotted three bikes on the other corner propped up neatly against the wall.

 

“Where did you find that gun.” Yunho picked up the weapon, inspecting it with a conscious effort to not put his finger on the trigger.

 

“We were held at gunpoint. Some bike gang piled a whole bunch of them in the middle of the street, then ganged up on us when we tried to even get near them.” Yoochun groaned as he put shifted his body to place his bad leg on the table. It hurt like a .

 

“You okay?” Yoochun nodded, waving away Changmin’s question as he closed his eyes. He thought he might have opened the wound, but he didn’t want to worry anyone.

 

Junsu sat on the other side of Changmin, stretching out his arms and body on the sofa. Changmin frowned, flicking an arm away, acquiring himself a glare. “Doesn’t matter now. We have the gun—” Junsu sighed, scratching his forehead. “—Might as well use it.”

 

“So, Jaejoong. I hope your adventure with Min was more peaceful than ours.”

 

“I was nearly assed by the military! No thanks to pretty boy!” Changmin pouted, and crossed his arms as he turned his back to Jaejoong.

 

Junsu laughed, soothing his back by petting it. “How?”

 

“The army was just strolling down the street, blasting the anthem, attracting the soulless. I took the chance and made a run for it.”

 

“Yeah, by leaving me in the bushes.”

 

“Bushes?”

 

“I was waiting for you!”

 

“Why were you two in bushes?”

 

“Weren’t you paying attention? Hiding from the military and the soulless.”

 

“Right. Couldn’t you climb a tree or something?”

 

“I don’t know about you, Yunho, but I haven’t learned to climb trees in the past five years since we saw each other.”

 

The conversation took a pause. Jaejoong kept his back to them, cooking foods that could be eaten on the fly. Everyone was staring at him and Yunho, whose lips were thinned from wearing patience. He looked at Changmin and pointed at Jaejoong, giving him a look as if to say “See? See?” Changmin sighed and nodded.

 

“Maybe we should stay here. In this apartment block.” Everyone turned to Junsu, Jaejoong flabbergasted at the very thought.

 

Yunho crossed his arms. “We agreed to Gangneung.”

 

“Yeah, but look at this place. Tall building. One entrance that gated—”

 

“Actually two. There’s a back entrance. Three if you count the garage entrance.” Jaejoong waved his spatula around a moment.

 

“Exactly. We just need to block those entrances. Keep them locked. Then we can just clear out the courtyard area.”

 

“Yeah, that would be nice. If only this building wasn’t filled with dead people.”

 

“We can just clear them out!”

 

“We’re going to Gangneung, at that’s final.”

 

Changmin frowned, and shot a look at Yunho. “I don’t remember asking for your leadership.”

 

Yunho scowled. “I am damn tired of you always giving me , Changmin--" He stood as he pointed a finger at the other. "I know you’re upset that we chose to stay with SM, but we have zombies knocking on the front door! Everything we know about our way of life has been destroyed, and you want to be angry at me, who’s trying to keep us alive? I am doing my best!"

 

Yunho sat back down on his chair, ignoring the looks everyone was giving him except Changmin's. Changmin, who looked astonished  at the sight of his leader yelling. Yunho leaned forward, pressing his fingers together, and patiently waited for Changmin to respond.

 

Changmin took ten minutes to think of a response. He wouldn't have taken so long had Yunho not been staring at him the entire time. "I…Didn't know you felt that way."  Yunho raised an eyebrow, and Changmin took a shaky breath. He needed to look anywhere but at Yunho. That table looked rather expensive. "I'm sorry that I…angered you, but I just didn't trust your decision making capabilities ever since you decided to stay with SM."

 

Yunho leaned back in his chair, one leg bouncing over the other. "Why not?"

 

"Because! If I went with the other three, I would have had a hard time. If you went, I went. But you stood. And I didn't want to face the netizens alone."

 

Yunho pressed his lips together, patience waning. "So you're angry at me, because you're weak?"

 

"I'm not weak! And I'm mad at you because you left them! We could have faced the netizens together, but your mother convinced you not to! I wasn't sure if they were going to call you a fool for breaking us up, or praise you because you're a good little artist who knows his place."

 

Yunho lowered his eyes, and folded his hands on his lap. "I'm trying my best, Changmin."

 

"I know, I'm sorry. But I still don't trust your deci--oof." Jaejoong jumped on Changmin, and squeezed him tight. This incurred a chain reaction as Yoochun thumped his back, and Junsu pat his shoulders. "Get off of me, all of you!"

 

Jaejoong laughed, kissing him on the forehead before giving a glare to Yunho. He then climbed off Changmin and finished what he was cooking.

 

Yunho sighed and rubbed his temples. Why does Jaejoong always make it so hard for him? The man was so obvious at what he wanted, but never went after it. It was always Yunho who had to get it for him.

 

"We should go to the pharmacy soon." Junsu said.

 

"Why?"

 

"I seemed to have only grabbed enough medicinal supplies for a few days."

 

"Well, first we need to get to the library to know what to get the next time we go out. Can the medicine hold off until tomorrow, Junsu?" Jaejoong took a handful of plastic containers to place the food in.

 

"Can I come to the library, too?" JinHee tugged at Jaejoong's clothing, grinning.

 

Jaejoong smiled back. "Yes, of course you can."

 

"Do you like books, JinHee?" Yunho turned around in his chair. He didn't even know he was smiling a little. JinHee turned to him, and nodded with the biggest tooth-eating grin he had ever seen.

 

"We can make a quick run to the library right now--there's one practically next door--"Jaejoong closed all the food filled plastic containers. "The generator can run a few more hours."

 

Junsu nodded. "What are we looking for?"

 

"Anything on survival. Food, water edible and medicinal plants, shelter. Things like that." Yunho slid on his jacket first, then helped JinHee with her while Jaejoong ran around putting food in everyone's backpack. JinHee was a little reluctant at first, crossing her arms and stomping and pouting--she even has his pout--before Jaejoong gave her a warning. She cooperated nicely from then on.

 

Jaejoong made his way towards the two with both hands full of food. When he neared the tow of them, he coved on hand of food at Yunho, trusting him to hold it as he stuffed JinHee's backpack with some food. Once glance at Yunho showed he merely stood there grinning like a goof. Jaejoong sighed an snatched the food from his hands. "Turn around."

 

Yunho obliged, still smiling to himself about Jaejoong's wife-like behaviors. It was oddly comforting to know Jaejoong still had those habits. "I'm sorry for leaving you. And Yoochun. And having you both be stuck with Junsu."

 

"I heard that!"

 

Yunho let his smile show to the other, but Jaejoong didn't react. Instead, he forced the zipper closed, and headed back to the kitchen to put food in his own backpack in silence.

 

Yunho turned to the other three to see Junsu looking at him. The smile on him scared Yunho the most. "What?"

 

Junsu winked and turned back to the conversation, where the other two were discussing the specifics of the books they should get, along with escape routes.

 

Jaejoong was last to be ready, a full 15 minutes later, at 4:40 in the afternoon.

A/N: I like comments