003

Hollowed Bodies
 
003
I don't even remember what I wrote
JinHee screamed, alerting the zombies of their presence. One growled a bit and lunged at Yunho, aiming for the neck.

 

Yunho tried to keep it off of him, while Changmin fought the other one with the crutch. The third one made it's way straight towards Jaejoong and JinHee.

 

First Jaejoong shielded her away before realising how bad of mistake that would be. He set her down, holding her by the shoulders as he got to her level. “Go hide in my room. Lock the door, and don't come out until I say it's okay. Don't make a single sound.”

 

JinHee did as she was told, running as fast as her short legs could carry her, and slammed the door. The zombie changed course, and followed the noise. “No!” Jaejoong clapped his hands, and slammed them against the tables and couches, desperate to grab it's attention.

 

“The lamp!” Yoochun called out, still sitting on the couch. Jaejoong backed away, glancing around for a lamp.

 

Yunho finally got the zombie off of him, and jumped to his feet. He kicked it away, slamming it against the wall. Changmin bashed in the head of he one who had attacked him before killing the one who attacked Yunho.

 

Jaejoong grabbed the lamp, tossing off the lampshade before whacking the zombie's head with the base. It toppled back, and Jaejoong hit it again. He kept hitting the zombie, blood splattering everywhere, until it didn't move again.

 

Jaejoong stood, wiping the blood from his face. Movement caught the corner of his eyes. His eyes widened. “Changmin, behind you!”

 

Changmin side-stepped and zombie fell forward. It grabbed his shoulder, tearing his shirt and dragging him down. Yunho tried prying Changmin off while Jaejoong slammed the base of the lamp on the zombie.

 

“The door! Close the door!” Yoochun shouted. He was leaning forward, poised and ready strike. Itching to get off the couch and a part of the action.

 

Yunho pried off Changmin off the zombie, lurching back and into a pair of zombies right behind him. He gasped and rolled to the side, and grabbed one of the crutches before standing. The crutch was pressed against their bodies, and they were forced back into the cold air. Yunho kept shoving, and forced them over the railing. The zombies fell to their death.

 

Both ways down the hallway was an entire pack making their way towards their door. Some of them stopped to bang on the other doors.

 

Yunho slammed theirs shut, locking all the locks. “Someone help me with this.” Without a moment's rest, he shoved the armchair towards the door. Changmin was the one who helped, pulling the armchair by it's arm. In no time, him and Yunho had the armchair and love seat blockading the door. It wasn't long before the five heard continuous banging.

 

“Forget staying the night, we need to leave now!” Yoochun said, wobbling to his feet. Junsu shoved him back down.

 

“And go where? In case you haven't noticed, the entire city is basically a goner! The zombies just started showing up an hour ago, it's dark, and we already have packs of them at our door—in a neighbourhood!”

 

“Shut off the lights. I bet they're attracted to the light.” Yoochun pointed to the light switches by the door. Changmin was closest, and flicked them all down. Within a few seconds, the banging died down.

 

“The army base.” Everyone looked at Yunho. Changmin nodded, making him the first to agree.

 

“JinHee, open the door. It's okay. It's safe now.” Jaejoong knocked on the door and jiggled the handled a bit.

 

“The army base has food, shelter, and protection.” Yunho added.

 

Junsu nodded. “We could use some protection.”

 

“No way.” Jaejoong said, knocking on the door again. “They'll draft us.”

 

“No they won't.” Junsu said, crossing his arms.

 

Yunho placed his palms together. “No, he's right. We're all in the age to be drafted, but we need to go there. We're citizens of South Korea. We protect our country.”

 

Jaejoong shook his head. “I'm not going. My duty is to protect the five of you, not all of South Korea.” He knocked on the door again, leaning his ear against the door. “JinHee?”

 

No sounds came through the door, and his panic rose. “I can't hear anything. Yunho, I can't hear anything!” Jaejoong banged his fists on the door, calling JinHee's name over and over again. His throat closed up, and the tears started forming at the corner of his eyes.

 

“Move!” Yunho knelt in front of the door, screwdriver in hand, and unscrewed the screws of the knob. They fell, and Yunho yanked the knob off, causing the adjacent one to fall. Jaejoong barged in a second later, only to find a zombie at his closet door. Yunho rushed passed him, and stabbed the zombie in it's eye.

 

“How the did that get in here?” Changmin shoved his way past Junsu at the door, checking the windows. “Can they ing climb?”

 

Cowering in the corner of the walk-in closet was JinHee, hiccuping with her hands over . Jaejoong gasped, and ran to her. “Did he get you? Are you hurt anywhere?” She shook his head once before Jaejoong collapsed in her arms, hugging her and kissing her all over. He sighed a relief, and squeezed her tight, staining her shirt with his tears.

 

 

Yoochun hopped his way into the bedroom with the help of Junsu, and rested himself on Jaejoong's bed. It was quiet a moment before Changmin spoke up. “If we're not going to the base, then where can we go?”

 

“If we're not going to the army base, then I'm not leaving.” Junsu crossed his arms, standing in the doorway and dared anyone to so much as glance at him.

 

“Junsu. Those zombies will starve us out if we don't get out here, and soon. We can't wait until morning.” Jaejoong sat next to Yoochun on the bed, still clutching on to JinHee. Yunho took a seat next to Jaejoong, watching JinHee.

 

“I don't like that name.” It was JinHee, barely above a whisper. But it was the first words she had spoken since she met them, and everyone turned to stare at her.

 

“What? Zombies?” She nodded. “What do you want to call them, then?” Yoochun frowned when she shrugged.

 

“How about 'Soulless'?” It was now Changmin's turn to be stared at. “Think about it. Their eyes are so dull. They don't really have a mind of their own, other than kill and eat humans. They're soulless, basically.”

 

“I like it.” Jaejoong said, smiling down at JinHee.

 

“Me, too.” Yoochun said, and after a moment, JinHee nodded, too, now on her thumb.

 

“That settles it then. We'll call them soulless.” Yunho glanced at Jinhee for another moment before looking at Jaejoong.

 

“What?” Jaejoong snapped, causing Yunho to lower his eyes. “You keep staring at me. Do I have something on my face?”

 

“Nothing. We still need to figure out where we're going.”

 

“Maybe they'll be gone in the morning.” Junsu offered.

 

Changmin snorted, and crossed his arms. “Stop being so naïve.”

 

“We don't actually know that for sure. They could go away after a while. Y'know, look for some other food.” Jaejoong said, JinHee's hair.

 

Yoochun nodded. “Yeah. They did stop the banging when we turned off the lights.”

 

Yunho frowned, gesturing towards the door. “Do you still not hear the banging on the door?” Jaejoong sighed. “They're not going to stop any time soon.”

 

“Gangneung.” Junsu said, glancing around.

 

“Do you realise how far that is?” Yunho snapped.

 

Yoochun shrugged. “It's only a 4 hour trip by car.”

 

“Yeah, but we couldn't even get to my house with the car.”

 

Yoochun sighed. “Then we take bikes. Pack some food, and get there within a day or two.”

 

“We're not hiking those mountains.”

 

“When did I say hiking? Bikes, Changmin. Bikes.”

 

“We can take the highway, or the streets, but we can use bikes.” Yunho nodded to himself.

 

“Maybe once we're out we can steal a car.”

 

“Jaejoong, I don't know how to hot wire a car. Do you? Do any of you?” No one moved.

 

Jaejoong stood up. “It's settled then.”

 

“Wait, we're leaving now?” Junsu uncrossed his arms, leaning off of the door frame. Jaejoong nodded. “Those sofa's aren't going to hold. We don't have anything to board the doors with, either.”

 

Yunho stood, looking at Jaejoong. “Don't you remember from the movies? Night time is the worst time to go out in a zomb—soulless apocalypse.”

 

Jaejoong sighed, raising his palms in defeat. “Fine. Fine! I don't know why you keep going against me, Yunho, but fine! We'll go in the morning. If we're still alive.” He stormed off before anyone could say another word, taking JinHee with him. Yoochun shook his head disapprovingly, before hobbling off. Once Junsu saw him struggling, he helped get him out of the room.

 

As soon as the four left the room, Yunho flung back on the bed, sprawling himself across the sheets, and took a deep breath. Jaejoong had gotten a new scent since he last saw him.

 

His breath came out in a wobbling, choked up mess. “I don't know what to do, Changmin.”

 

Changmin groaned, and walked up to the bed, slightly scared of sitting on it. “Just leave them alone for a bit.”

 

“No.” Yunho sat up. “I know how to handle those three.”

 

“Then what don't you know what do?” Changmin crossed his arms, staring down Yunho.

 

“That girl out there–” Yunho pointed at the door. “That's Jaejoong's kid.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Yunho's mouth dropped as he stared at Changmin. “You knew?”

 

Changmin shifted his feet uncomfortably. “Well, no... But you just confirmed it.” Yunho sighed, and buried his face in his hands. “Jaejoong isn't known for his subtlety.”

 

Yunho nodded, staring at the floor with his hands clenched. “You know he lied? Said that kid's mother went to the grocery store. She actually turned. That's why those two reacted that way. “Yunho pointed to the door again.

 

Changmin didn't respond.

 

Yunho sighed and hung his head. “Why would he just go and do that?”

 

The other scowled this time. “You ing left them, Yunho. What was he supposed to do? Wait for you?”

 

“No!”

 

“We could have all left together, Yunho.” Changmin's lip quivered, but he never broke his face.

 

Yunho groaned. “Not this again.” He rubbed his face, now up and pacing around.

 

Changmin wouldn't let him, stopping him and jabbed a finger at his chest for the second time that month. “You know I'm right! If you didn't try to be damn...ing... Lee Soo Man's picture ing perfect Golden Boy, we wouldn't have this mess!” He leaned in, still glaring at Yunho. “Jaejoong wouldn't have went to some woman for comfort.”

 

Yunho pressed his lips together. His vision was blurred from the tears. “You're wrong.” He forced the words out, his voice choked up. Changmin shook his head and left.

 

Once he heard the click of the door, Yunho collapsed on the bed. Yunho knew he was right. It was his fault. He was going to go with them. They were all going to leave. He literally left them. Turned his back when they needed him. Their leader.

 

“Are you crying?” Junsu's head protruded from the door, frightening Yunho back to normal. He wiped his face.

 

“No. What's wrong?” Yunho sniffed and stood up.

 

“Uh...Yoochun and Changmin are fighting. We need our leader.”

 

Yunho sighed, slowly lifting his eyes to meet Junsu's. “I'm not a leader.”

A/N: To those wondering how old JinHee is, you'll find out next chapter ;)